Car Moving System for Smaller Vehicles

Robert46

Since we are on this topic, I just chanced upon this:

Amazing work with the integration between the Tomix automatic railway crossing!

• Like 1

• Like 1

Thing to do is just have a view of a street and hidden ends where the cars loop back. Then have alternating gaps and knots of cars to mimic gaps made from lights. The just get that background of traffic going by all the time! Like the moving bus to make the animation not clash (i.e. Only bus moving) you need to just have constantly moving traffic. Gate is great, but either only one car on the loop or the rest of the cars on the loop stop wherever they are. Could engineer the locations of the cars so if they get stopped at a crossing all the other cars are at appropriate stop points on the streets.

My friend said he has sunk a couple hundred dollars into it already and probably a couple hundred more to get a chunk of street done he wants.

Jeff

To be really convincing the cars would have to stop before proceeding onto the crossing (legal requirement) and you'd also need some pedestrians rushing across at the last second (typically students engrossed in their smartphones, and ladies of a certain age who think the rules no longer apply to them).

In the video, The car passengers would have whiplash from the turns on corners!! HaHa! I think the Tomytec Bus system achieves better cornering and the 2 stage gearing works well. Actually an extra stage would make the stop and start less abrupt, but I guess there is limited space on the chassis or circuit board.

I managed to snap a few pictures. Unfortunately it's on the bottom of a big pile.

post-1969-0-64788000-1457032202_thumb.jpgpost-1969-0-06130900-1457032219_thumb.jpg

and found some new pictures on the net:

post-1969-0-40394800-1457032463_thumb.jpgpost-1969-0-67064800-1457032472_thumb.jpg

(this is the same set in a better condition and a motor chassis)

Edited by kvp

Is there any other option or similar system to Magnorail?

or anyone have made their own home made version and they can share the list of items to make one (and their experience of course)? Cheers!

I’ve not seen one commercially made other than magnorail. There use to be an old car/bus system ages ago but can’t remember manufacturer.

just saw a race track with a bunch of nascar cars on a n trak module last weekend. He used a loco running under the track with magnets on the top running in a rf track below the race track. Fun but of course cars stayed in same sequence, but then again they do a lot of that in the real thing.

jeff

• Like 1
bill937ca

This video is 3 months old.

The 1/150 scale car runs along wire embedded underneath the road. Start, stop, headlights, and turn signals are controlled by remote control. The steering moves along embedded wires, so the car can only run on a set route. The battery is Li-Po 3.7V 30mAh (size:9x9x4mm). The battery is charged by inserting a small self-made charging pin into a hole on the bottom of the car. The dimensions of the car body are 24.5mm(L)x11.4mm(W)x10.5mm(H), the wheelbase is 16.5mm, and the outer diameter of the tire is 4.0mm.

00:00 Steering mechanism

02:16 Making the Chassis

02:59 Processing the motor

03:29 Electronic components

04:14 Making lights

05:15 Wiring connection.

05:40 The running on the road

• Like 4
bill937ca

1/150 DIY Micro RC Truck & Trailer

I modified TOMYTEC 1/150 scale "The Trailer Collection" into a radio control car.

The motors are LA4-466FB for both steering and running.

Wireless communication is done with two RN4871U (Bluetooth module).

RN4871U must be set up for communication before assembly.

Wireless communication from trailer head to trailer is infrared remote control.

The transmitter is built on the breadboard.

The microcontroller used is ATmega88V for the transmitter, ATtiny3217 for the trailer head, and ATtiny412 for the trailer.

The power supply for charging the trailer head is DC 5V. I omitted the trailer charging circuit.

The grid of the cutting mat in the video is 5cm square.

• Like 7
maihama eki

Wow. Just when I thought this was completely insane - they demonstrate the turn signals and brake lights! My mind is now completely blown.

All of the mechanical stuff is nearly watch-like size and much of it made from scratch.

• Like 1
GeorgeHInch

@maihama eki I follow this thread and want to do something like this but much same. I am pretty sure some of these guys are at a mastery I could never reach on managing to fit so much in so little. 

What @bill937ca is literally insanely impressive.