Mountain Layout

chriswilliams115

chriswilliams115

Hi,

Looking for some comments or any help in regards to my planned layout. Not based on anywhere etc and certainly not prototypical in any sense. It's designed to be a simple to run layout that gives an impression of multiple movements with the possibility of displaying it at our club open nights as well.

It's really a first step at building a layout before I go large scale into my OO room sized layout.

Firstly it's going to be unitrack. Enough else is going to be learned to keep it simple with the track work and I quite like the stuff with it's pre-laid ballast and simple wiring for power and points.

Currently I have the below setup on some boards to play around with and get some ideas:

m2%20v2%20v4%20plus%20extra_zpshaqglmlt.

What I'm looking to do. Hopefully it's fairly self explanatory but the different levels are rough the height differences between floor and viaduct track level, more if I can get away with the gradients. Anything shaded is not visible, including that bit where the bridge will be - just not sure how to allow for that visually.

plan to add in a tomix bus system too, always wanted a faller HO one to go with my OO and only found the N version recently!! probably hide one end of it under the background and have it stop at the station and loop through a town on the main level. not in anyrail though which is a little annoying.

The layout will be populated by 5 swiss trains ranging from an 0843 with tankers to re460 to re481 with freight to old re 4/4 and good old Kato glacier express

kato%20m2%20v3_zpsipc747pj.png

Edited by chriswilliams115
  • Like 2

Nice plan! It looks very interesting! Can I ask what software you use to plan out?

I like this plan, there's multiple lines for various action. And it excites me to know there is a moving bus layout coming!  :)

• Like 1
chriswilliams115

Nice plan! It looks very interesting! Can I ask what software you use to plan out?

I like this plan, there's multiple lines for various action. And it excites me to know there is a moving bus layout coming!  :)

Using anyrail5

The plan is to hopefully have the remainder of the track this month. put it all in place on the flat and then figure out gradients and height clearances. Then try and figure how best to cut out all the ply pieces to form the frame and background while remaining reasonably light and not duplicating surfaces everywhere.

once that's done I can get a better idea of remaining space around and under the tracks and then look at station and bus system next, eventually filling in buildings and such around these.

Already have a few swiss style chalets from Noch (i think) to be placed up in the hills/

chriswilliams115

Kato%20bits_zpsjilbktei.jpg

Yay, remainder of the trackwork turned up today and I can start building the layout on a flat base for testing.

Will then be able to start outlining how to cut out the various timber sections required and seeing what kind of elevation i'll be able to get away with.

Spaceman Spiff

Looks good. I also have mountainous layout. Some things to keep in mind.

Will you have access underneath the mountains for derailments?

How tight are the radius'? Tight radius and grades make for more derailments as the cars get pulled over on their sides.

Do you have enough track length for your grades?

The more track you have under mountains, the less you actually see your trains running.

The trials and tribulations of my layout:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7312-layout-update/

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff