JR East Nagano open day October 2015

miyakoji

Here's a video of a depot open day, which is nothing new.  In this case it's at Nagano, last October.  But Nagano is one of JRE's scrapping sites, and there are several cars in this video waiting for the shears, as well as a few that seem to have escaped their fate (at least for now), including EF62 3 and a 253 series Narita Express end car.  It gives you some indication of the upkeep routines that must be in place; have a look at its appearance after just a few years of neglect.

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

Thanks for that, I was rather curious with what locomotives they had stored there after Katoftw had posted a link to Google Maps showing Nagano yard I was able to pick a few from the air including an ED62, ED60, DD16 but the others had me stumped, I noticed in the footage EF63-19 is behind the DD16.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Japan,+〒381-0037+Nagano-ken,+Nagano-shi,+Nishiwada,+2+Chome−29−3+JR長野総合訓練センター/@36.6554138,138.2089993,19z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x601d8642ca3d5ff1:0x485bf860a3207ff2

Edited by Das Steinkopf
SuRoNeFu 25-501

EF62-3 would looked better if JR East performed cosmetical restoration to the locomotive... But well, everything is up to the decision coming from Yoyogi (re: JR East's headquarters)  :sleepy4:

I have to ask this question: when the locomotives and trainsets are dismantled at Nagano, how do they ship the remains to a metal recycler? Does JR Freight run scrap trains with gondola cars to various metalworking factories around Japan?

Edited by Sacto1985

I have to ask this question: when the locomotives and trainsets are dismantled at Nagano, how do they ship the remains to a metal recycler? Does JR Freight run scrap trains with gondola cars to various metalworking factories around Japan?

Ironically I think the scrap travels by truck... :(

Cheers NB

When you see old trains like that.  You'd hope someone would put them out of their misery.  It is a shame they have been left to decay to that state of condition.  But sometimes letting the Giant Komatsu Train Killers onto them might be the best option.

I grew up with a scrap metal yard right next door and that was my playground, seeing old rising hulks like that is still rusty goodness to me! They were my playground to play on and with my tool bag to tear into things. Lots of old rr cars a few locos, cars, busses, construction equipment. It was sad when the torches finally got to each, but a new one would come in!

Jeff

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Ironically I think the scrap travels by truck... :(

Cheers NB

The scraps are normally carried by the trucks in Japan...