DF200 in Tokyo area?

yakumo381

lesliegibson

I am new to the site and really enjoying the posts. My main interests in Japan are locomotive hauled trains. Sadly it looks as though this now limited to JRF as all the overnight expresses seem to have disappeared with the opening of Hokkaido Shinkansen. Living in Wales UK but hope to go back to Japan soon.  

The DE11's must be fairly old by now? What is their HP rating?

Das Steinkopf

The original DE11-0 were rated at 1250hp whilst the later build units of the DE11-1000/2000 series are rated at 1350hp, the DE11-1000's were built between 1970-74 whilst the DE11-2000's were built in 1979.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Looks like DD51-1805, the "Sakura" or last to be built DD51 as far as I am aware, will not be preserved and appears to be due for scrapping soon:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/z2f100064/

Hopefully enough DF200 will have been transferred and converted to DF200-2XX before JRF run out of viable DD51 to use especially as it looks like they get withdrawn as soon as their next general examination comes up...

• Like 1

Picked up on Twitter that JRF plan to move an initial 5 off DF200 to Aichi so 3 more to come for conversion with DF200-119 potentially being next.

However not seen on the Internet any sign of DF200-116 (to become -216) appearing back out of Kawasaki yet. Or even of DF200-223 (ex-123) for that matter...

Hopefully both will be back in Aichi in October when I next visit Japan.

• Like 1

This is how I found DF200-223 in Aichi Depot in Inazawa last month: still a hanger queen. From the Japanese railfan blogs I follow, this seems to have been all it has done since a few trips in the summer when put on the front of a pair of DD51 hauling fuel tanks up to Yokkaichi. May be not all going to plan with JRF's expectation of replacing the last of the DD51 with DF200s by end of next year...?

Interesting that the prototype DD200-901 is getting out and about a lot hauling freights north of Tokyo as a top and tail with a DE10.

May be more DD200s rather than DF200 conversions could be an alternative for the Yokkaichi tank trains?

DF200.JPG

• Like 1

Today (6th Dec) DF200-216 (previously was DF200-116 in Hokkaido) was delivered to Asahi Depot in Inazawa from the Kawasaki works, post-conversion.

Presumably to give DF200-223 some company in its shed..?

• Like 1

From various local blogs, picked up that apparently DF200-223 and -226 are being prepared for action out on the Kansai Main Line hauling freight to replace one of the usual DD51 pairs, following trials early this month including as a DF200+DE10 pairing.

Also DF200-122 is rumored to be heading south soon to become DF200-222...

• Like 2

On a recent Sunday, managed to capture all three DF200-2xx at Aichi Depot in Inazawa.

Interesting looking at the condition of DF200-216 close ups that they show impact damage on the front and poorly finished corrosion repairs on the side.

220.PNG

• Like 2