Ballast to match Kato/Tomix Track?

katoftw

Afaik it's been written down somewhere on thus forum that 8 parts fine grey, 1 part black, 1 part tan is the suggested mix. The WS ballast has a slight production variation in size with some bags better for Z and some for N. Imho the grey only mix looks better with the concrete tie tracks.

Good stuff, everyone.
I also found this, which looks quite promising:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Railway-Ballast-Extra-Fine-N-Grey-Granite-Chippings-225gm-JXGST/362577910254?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
... it has the unmatchable benefit, like half of my family, of being from Yorkshire. The raw material cost is very low, the shipping cost, very high. Between the two, I think it's worth an experiment. (I've also been watching tutorial videos and I believe it will be possible to get a really nice look as long as I take the time to get good coverage. It's going to be interesting :)

Might looks closer to home,scenic express has a good range and probably at your LHS. There are a few speciality ballast makers also on this side of the pond.

jeff

Just went into the cupboard and looked for the products I purchased when this thread was active.

It's still all there and unopened 6 years later. 🤣

Edited by katoftw
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, katoftw said:

Just went into the cupboard and looked for the products I purchased when this thread was active.

It's still all there and unopened 6 years later.

Ha I think I may have done the same thing, I have to go look. I have one small bag (the Kato bag seems smaller than  I remember like a decade ago) of Kato but need to reballast 4 Ttrak corners to remove canted track (some trains hate the flat to canted to flat in 90 degrees repeated back to back on a 180) an may need some more. Just stumbled on a new train store (next to a yarn shop I took my wife to this week) that only had us HO and O but good scenery selection so I have a better local source now for scenery stuff.

cheers

jeff

14 hours ago, Sir Madog said:

I wsh I´d remember which ballast I used. It wasn´t the one you can buy under the Kato brand.

Maybe you used the mix described?

jeff

On 8/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, Sir Madog said:

I wsh I´d remember which ballast I used. It wasn´t the one you can buy under the Kato brand.

I checked the stuff you gave me along, you used

"Tams-Online.de - Granitschotter Hellgrau 0,2 - 0,6 mm" 

Found out as it still had the Conrad.de order tag on it

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/79-10302-granitschotter-hellgrau-500-ml-217365.html#productDescription

• Like 1