Power supply for combined Japanese, Euro, USA n scale

wmsnyder

Greetings. I'm completely new to model trains, but am at a stage in life when I can afford some n scale trains and envision a time when I might have some time to create a layout! I'm in the process of purchasing some locomotives and rolling stock. My fantasy layout (won't bother you with the details!) will involve mixing European, Japanese, and USA brands of locos and rolling stock.

I bought a Minitrix starter set that comes with a power supply and simple track arrangement. The Minitrix power pack says:

Input 120V AC 60Hz

Output 20,8VDC 18VA

I also bought a Series 10000 Tokyo Metro Subway (Yurakucho/Fukutoshin Line) - 4 Cars Set - Kato 10-1259 (KA-10-1259)--I think Japanese trains are very neat.

Will it be safe to test run the Kato on the Minitrix track with the Minitrix power supply?

I look forward to reading more on the forum--very thankful I found it! and learning more about Japanese n gauge.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your advice and help.

Bill

N scale analog trains usually need at most 12V DC on the track. The question is what is the output voltage of your speed controller? A photo of the controller would help too if you can't find the value.

Bill,

I'm going to give you advice based on what I know today. Your best move is to purchase the Woodland Scenic ST1482 kit. This is a DIY kit that has the basic components to building a small layout. The kit gives you the "materials" needed in completing a layout itself. I must mention that you will need a few other of their "tools" to efficiently complete the kit. There are additional kits, the track and buildings. S1485 and  ST1882 (Atlas 2588) that will complete the layout. Notice there is a notorious nickle and dime scenario which seems to be the norm when it comes to the hobby. It is quite expensive as you alluded to in your opening comment. This initial endeavor will cost you $700 but it will put you well ahead of the norm. 

The layout is the elephant in the room that we don't want to wrestle with. This kit address that issue by down sizing the task and gives us the basic skill set to build greater things.

I will admit that the kit is somewhat flimsy but it is a training exercise that you want focus on first. These kits gives you an obtainable goal with a usable product afterwards. You will be in a better position to choose the next step towards your fantasy layout.

Inobu

I need to clarify something......My explanation circumvents your power question which is the dreaded "what I need next" vacuum. if you are not careful you will be drawn to purchasing component after component that contributes to our dream layout not the layout we are capable of building at this moment.   

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

Another way would be to get a japanese (Kato or Tomix) track set and scenic mat or a sceniced german precast plastic terrain kit. This has nothing to do with the power supply voltage or the speed controller's output.

• Like 1

Another way would be to get a japanese (Kato or Tomix) track set and scenic mat or a sceniced german precast plastic terrain kit. This has nothing to do with the power supply voltage or the speed controller's output

It is a warning so to speak. He can end up being a collector instead of a modeller. I'm encouraging him to continue on with his goal of a layout. So many time people get caught up in collecting the things needed for the dream layout. Drawing layouts in programs never getting to the point of building one. Instead of focusing on the power supply and spending money on another one. Get to the heart of the hobby. The layout. 

I came to this conclusion after collecting over 50 (Kato) engines myself and I don't know how many freight sets. As I look back 10 locos would have given me $1k to do what I'm suggesting. If I were Bill. I would start on a small layout first with what he has now then go from there. 

It's only a suggestion but based on my experience and observation here.

I think I'll start another thread concerning this topic.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

Yes, the only thing in N scale that don't mix well is analog and digital trains. Japanese trains are mostly analog off the shelf and can be quite hard to digitize while most european an US ones are available in both forms.

Voltages are between 0 and 12V DC in analog N and around 14V DCC in digital. Putting an analog locomotive on a digital signal is bad for its health.

On the other hand a speed controller can have almost any input and still give out the right voltage so a photo or the name/manufacturer/number of the startset would allow us to identify it.

Edited by kvp

As it came with the startset, i would first take a look at the actual output before assuming anything, especially that it's actually a H0 scale startset. :)