Great source for Evergreen styrene - in USA

velotrain

I wanted a couple of packs of Evergreen shapes, and knew that I'd pay at least as much as the product costs for shipping if I went through a hobby shop, so decided to try eBay.  There were many sellers offering packages for just over $3, but they all wanted between $6-10 shipping.  Then I had a hit for Omni Models, who only wanted $2 for shipping.  I bought the two types, and was amazed when I saw that the second one would ship for free.  I just entered Evergreen and their unit code in my search.  This is great when you just want a small amount and don't want to pay a fortune for it.  It looks like they're mostly a RC shop and don't have many train items - at least that I'd be interested in. 

However, they seem a good source for scratchbuilding supplies, and appear to carry much - if not all - of the K&S metals line.

I just ordered some K&S copper sheet and brass strip from their store.  These showed as "reduced shipping", and that order was only $1.99 to ship also.

I looked around the site some, and they seem strong in modeling tools and building supplies.

That is nice, I guess they are just taking the loss, shipping Must be at least $3-4 first class and that's going up 10% in the next week! They also are at a small discount as well over SRP.

Few places have decent shipping for little bits like this. Luckily the local hobby shop here keeps a good evergreen and plasstruct supply so it's something I can support them with (not much else anymore).

Jeff

I'll find out when I get the shipments, but I'm guessing they might be using a small padded mailer, and it may not be first class, so their cost is less than that.  However, that doesn't apply to the labor to pick the items in the warehouse and process them.

I recently wanted to buy some Sommerfeldt catenary from Euro Rail Hobbies and discovered that they have a $45 order minimum, supposedly due to their base cost of processing each order.

What amazes me is the level of stock that Omni keeps - page after page of K&S stuff, all marked as in stock, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have everything that Evergreen produces as well.  With two dollars for shipping, it makes more sense for me to order from them than go to the only hobby shop (Ro) left in the Boston area.  Their eBay rate blew me away - often the seller will give you half off on a second item, but I've never seen anyone give you the second item for free.

Usually if I want something small, I'll wait until I also want a more pricy item, to justify the shipping from MTS or whoever - I refuse to pay more for shipping than I did for the item.  However, with this resource, if I just want one or two small items in a hurry I can easily accept the shipping cost.