New modular Unitram project

Ken Ford

I want a small new project for the new year. I have quite a few Japanese (and other) projects in progress from early last year but put them all down when some serious real life things happened. This is my attempt to get moving again without any baggage from before.

I'm planning this to be a simple Unitram based double loop with points to allow it to be extended off each end. My idea is to make the center loop a detailed city center with street trackage with the extensions being double track private rights of way ending in stub terminals with crossovers.

I'm home sick today, so I started playing around with the pieces from a V50 and V53 to get a feel for what will work, how big it will be and what parts I still need to find.

post-742-0-01541500-1452115141_thumb.jpeg

post-742-0-02288700-1452115165_thumb.jpeg

post-742-0-60798600-1452115184_thumb.jpeg

post-742-0-88884900-1452115278_thumb.jpeg

This central loop will be mounted to portable benchwork. I'm not sure if I want structures in the center of the loop, I'm thinking a park might be nice, but I don't know if it would be plausible.

I'll probably run my little fleet of Modemo Toden Arakawa cars on this. I'm hoping this will be a fun project that I can take to shows.

• Like 3

Ken - I'd suggest adding a couple of straights so that it isn't such an even square - few city blocks are, even if it's actually called xxxxxx Square.

I might - I'm trying to keep the size down, though. It's likely the short straights will be twice as long. That's part of the reason I'm considering doing the center as a city park.

I'm trying to find someplace in the house that I can set up and leave up a door or something oversized to do some 1:1 trackplanning. Being able to set up the entire loop would be useful.

I made a little base for one of our club member's Unitram square. Just 1x1 stock i routed a rabit joint into for the 3/16" ply. then just 45 corners and a little X of stock thru the center each way for support below. Made it about 1/2" larger so there is a nice little frame lip all the way around. Looked very pretty and it was easy and light for him to pick it up and move around the house and bring to a couple of shows with everything on it. I keep meaning to do it for my unitram so i would play with it more at home as so far ive only set it up at shows for kids to play on.

jeff

• Like 1

I'm considering trimming the back street sections just beyond the sidewalks to fit building flats instead of entire buildings. The front sections I'm considering trimming right at the edge of the sidewalks. Trying to visualize the final size and what works is tough without just setting it up and playing with it.

I want to drag the various pieces to work and make photocopies. The track layout is pretty much set, it's just how much street and structure to put around it. I'd like to keep it as small as possible while still looking good.

Ken, you mentioned that you'd like to be able to take this Unitram layout to train shows and I was wondering if any of these shows are here in the Chicago area. It's been years since I've been to any kind of model railroad show and I'd especially like to attend one where I can see Japanese-style layouts on display.

I'm considering trimming the back street sections just beyond the sidewalks to fit building flats instead of entire buildings.

It's not clear just how flat you intend your flats to be, but I'm a strong advocate of giving them at least a minimal 3D depth, say 2-3".

You can use various details to help emphasize the depth, and support the illusion that they're actually deeper.

The Japanese tall buildings are cheap enough that you should be able to cut them in half and use both sides.

Bob, yes - this is similar to the concept we were discussing in March or April before my wife passed away.

Charles, that's how I usually do flats so they can have rudimentary interiors.

I'm considering using just the track portions and making my own roadways out of styrene or foamcore. I'm finding the modularity of the streets is actually very restrictive.