My Temporary Setups - Mostly Trains!

serotta1972

I like the way you place your trains for the photos and the catenary poles really make a difference to the scene.

And probably evey other member here since it was re-released.

Except me! :D

If I ever (and the longer I stick around here, the likelier it'll get) do something Japanese-in-Japan, you know it'll involve steam! Hmmmm... just did a bit of quick research... seems various steam locomotives and EF66 (a big favourite amongst electrics of the world) and 0系 Shinkansen were all around at the same time... now I wonder if there was a real location where the three were around at once (even if the Shinkansen is just passing through... hmmm, research time I think.

TN Couplers Conversion Project continues...

Still got a couple more trains to go and can't stop now because they improve the look of the trains dramatically.  

Looks good, mate.

Gotta love me some TN couplers. I just used the last hour to convert another train myself but now I gotta order new ones. :D

• Like 1

now I wonder if there was a real location where the three were around at once (even if the Shinkansen is just passing through... hmmm, research time I think.

Mid-sixties, anywhere along the Tokaido Shinkansen. ;)

• Like 1

Mid-sixties, anywhere along the Tokaido Shinkansen. ;)

Well, I meant more in the sense of finding an actual spot to model. Say a nice little branch line running from the mainline, with steam hauled freight and maybe some nifty old Kiha? I have this preference for wanting to model a real location if at all possible. Of course with DPRK and even Mantetsu or Sentetsu that could be a bit difficult, but it's easy enough to protolance those using features seen on photographs from all over, to reproduce the atmosphere at the least. But now I'll stop cuz I don't want to hijack Serotta's thread!

serotta1972

I like the way you place your trains for the photos and the catenary poles really make a difference to the scene.

Me too, I'm really glad I finally got some catenaries as they do look really nice.

Except me! :D

If I ever (and the longer I stick around here, the likelier it'll get) do something Japanese-in-Japan, you know it'll involve steam! Hmmmm... just did a bit of quick research... seems various steam locomotives and EF66 (a big favourite amongst electrics of the world) and 0系 Shinkansen were all around at the same time... now I wonder if there was a real location where the three were around at once (even if the Shinkansen is just passing through... hmmm, research time I think.

Most definitely and so many trains from different regions and time period to choose from.

Looks good, mate.

Gotta love me some TN couplers. I just used the last hour to convert another train myself but now I gotta order new ones. :D

Oh yeah, once the EMU's are done, got to convert the passenger cars sets.

• Like 2
serotta1972

A new favorite - Kato 3082 ED70.  I went ahead and changed the couplers and placed the number plates.  Thank you Kato for pre-installing the grab irons and creating a deeper recess for the number plates as they snap on snuggly.  It looks awesome!

post-2776-0-85986400-1489213050_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-44356600-1489213053_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-25371200-1489213056_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful engine! The ED70 is also a favourite of mine with its slightly slanted front and inwards pointing tail lights. It looks cuter than most other electrics that came afterwards.

Nice Job Junior, I couldn't tell the number plates were even separate parts!  I really like how the ED70 has what looks like was planed to be a center door, but was never made. Reminds me a lot of the DF50, with sun shades attached and a door installed. 

Nice Job Junior, I couldn't tell the number plates were even separate parts!  I really like how the ED70 has what looks like was planed to be a center door, but was never made. Reminds me a lot of the DF50, with sun shades attached and a door installed.

Wikipedia says it was derived from the DF50 and the centre door later sealed up to prevent draughts:

当時製造されていたDF50形ディーゼル機関車のデザインを踏襲し、前面貫通形を採用[注釈 4]したが、後に貫通扉はすきま風防止のため埋め込まれた

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Interesting, thanks for the link!  Must have been sealed up soon into it's life, I haven't been able to find many pictures with the door still in place.   

serotta1972

Beautiful engine! The ED70 is also a favourite of mine with its slightly slanted front and inwards pointing tail lights. It looks cuter than most other electrics that came afterwards.

It is a cute little engine!  It bears some resemblance to these locos.

post-2776-0-69681400-1489246198_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-71351000-1489246200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
serotta1972

Trains in camouflage - next to orange, green is another color I can't seem resist but in this case the trains themselves are pretty irresistible.

post-2776-0-36914800-1489986261_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-89353600-1489986264_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-48380600-1489986268_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-44862700-1489986272_thumb.jpg

From left to right:

Kato 10-129 Series 200 

Tomix 92879 Series 200 (Unit F)

Tomix 98619 Series 200 (Unit K47)

Tomix 98603 Series 200 (Unit H)

I'm awaiting the Micro Ace A0264 Series 200-0 "Yamabiko" Opening First Train. I kinda like the 200's.

• Like 9

The nose change from the K to the H is the most interesting to me. 200 series is my favorite, need to get the K but after doing all the transfers on all 16 cars of the H I need a break. 

serotta1972

Beautiful! The 200s are the prettiest Shinkansens to my eyes.

These and O's are my top 2 Shinkansens.

I'm 'GREEN' with envy buddy!

Haha, you got plenty of your own there buddy! :)

Very nice junior, interesting how the front window changes so much.

Yeah - the K47 looks like it's wearing wrap around Oakley glasses, very cool looking train!

The nose change from the K to the H is the most interesting to me. 200 series is my favorite, need to get the K but after doing all the transfers on all 16 cars of the H I need a break. 

Quite a departure from the round nose.  Yikes, how many transfers per car?  So spoiled with Kato that I have not applied any transfers on any of my Tomix trains.  

Most cars only had 6 (the smoking/non smoking car signs next to the door, these were a REAL pain to get to on right, had JUST enough of the non-smoking car signs to get the train done) but cars 1 and 16 had 13 each (the H mark on the front window and both driver and conductor doors, the ATS marks, the car numbers, the smoking/non-smoking signs, and the conductor/driver only sign on the front set of doors). Surprisingly the double-decker cars had the least, only 4 on both. 

I think the nose change came about as they were only intended to operate on their own on Yamabiko services and not be used nose-to-nose so it's one less thing to maintain if you remove that. Also it was probably a quieting issue as well. 

Edited by nah00
serotta1972

Went Urban tonight and took out the Trams and had an extra operator tonight.

post-2776-0-87498500-1491972173_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-85927900-1491972589_thumb.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 5
serotta1972

She loves waiving at the trains as they go by.  Yes, I will need to get her a hat and some white gloves soon.  She's pretty adept now at controlling the trains - of course still many jack rabbit starts and sudden stops.