Here's what I got going on

Kb4iuj

I know a lot of you guys love the Kato track but I'm pretty well sold on these 2 1/2 foot sectional flex track.

Earlier I had two tracks but no helix's. The helix really are icing on a cake provided they are big enough. And these things are, about 4' x 4'... Hence, lots of buildings to be built to fill in all that space. I sorta visualize this will be my Kiha 47 route. Just something that putt putts along.

Note the plastic over the white garbage can. The person who owned this swank mobile home must not of known about the roof liner to protect the insulation from getting wet. Hence, they punctured this liner years ago. So when it rains I have a natural water fall of sorts. Food for thought, don't poke holes in your ceiling.

post-3263-0-18406900-1451430013_thumb.jpeg

post-3263-0-65023100-1451430034_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 3

Very nice.  Nice big open layout.  A single car Kiha will get lost in the mountains on the huge layout.  Don't worry, you'll find him 5 minutes later.

Nice to see a few of us into new layouts and sharing them.

I built this to run big long trains. Hence the big helix. If one adds those and a whole bunch at both ends one could easily have three or four layers or themes of scenery trains roll by. This is just for starters. Thus, I may have a winter scene on one level, then a desert on another then maybe a sea side with maybe a dense Forrest or maybe even a shorten seven mile bridge like Key West with lots of water and a Havana undersea extension. As imagine, some Japanese Shinkansen in a downtown Havana amongst a whole bunch of painted buildings with a few still sun bleached.

As far as a hump yard. Those maybe added later a bit like a siding.

If one is squeezed for space, consider building and storing it vertical or look at a way to fold it up. Or think of all that wasted space on the ceiling area, which if you could lower it down. Then just raise it for storage. Just know where the strong or biggest studs are for the main load carrying. Your wife or girlfriend can marvel at the underside - hence allow them to paint it. So as to allow them to be a part of your masterpiece/work of art.

Edited by Kb4iuj

my motto is always build it sections that can be taken apart if needed as building a large layout triggers murphy's law of layouts, if you build a big one it will trigger a move!

you will have some nice long runs and longer shinkansens will look nice having long runs and more sweeping curves!

cheers

jeff