Nose cowl disappearing act

emkay_777

Hello Group,

I am seething at this because I know that I put the nose cowl back on or at least in the case.  I opened it up today and found it was missing (then proceeded to turn the room upside down in case I dropped it).  I am the only one who touches these sets so I am completely mystified.  There, thanks for letting me vent. 

post-759-0-29500800-1451278638_thumb.jpg

I am wondering if I can get a replacement cowl from Tomix for this Tomix 92795 Series 400 Yamagata Shinkansen 'Tsubasa' new color.  Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Evan

It was the Mumgumbians! They come from Syrtis Minor, on the other side of the Milky Way, and they make life difficult by doing things like that to me.

Good luck in getting a replacement part.

Did the same thing about three months ago. Found the cowl in my spares bin this weekend. Yours'll turn up as soon as you order a new one. Murphy's law!

I had mine off for years, running it at shows with the E2 and thought I had it safely tucked in the box in a tiny bag. Figured it might not be wise to keep a small part in the box taking it to shows all the time but figured it would get totally lost if I tried to store it somewhere else. But a year or so ago I noticed it was no longer there! Oh well, just figured I would keep it running in tandem...

I didn't bother to look for a replacement as I thought that probably was not something stocked! Let me know if you find any! Might try Modeltrainplus and loco1hobbies.

Best of luck!

Cheers

Jeff

Sorry, I looked into my instructional booklet of my 400 series 92796 but there was no indication of the part number of the nose coupler piece...

I then looked into the Tomix parts catalogue and the closest we got was JC-42, but that is only the connecting coupler and electrical part, no nose piece was included. This seems to be the normal for Tomix coupling sets such as E2 or E4 or E5 or E6, they all come with spare parts for just the coupler and not the nose piece...

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.  I also looked at the instruction sheet but didn't see anything that looked like a part number amidst all those characters.  We just got a new laser scanner at work so I think I'll take the other unit in and try to reverse engineer the nose.  It sounds like I'm not the only one with this dilemma - maybe I'll start a business . . . .

emkay,

ohhh laserscanner! very cool toy to play with!

yeah get it up on shapeways and done! sure there are plenty of folks out there with the same issue!

jeff

Tomix does sell a replacement nose for the 400 series original livery (sets 92796, 92640, etc). 

http://www.imon.co.jp/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18757

JC23 密連形TN 400系先頭用

But Tomix doesn't seem to sell the nose for the renewal livery 400 series.  I suppose more original livery 400 series sets have been sold over the years, making demand for the original livery replacement nose higher. 

Jeff - Yeah, the laser scanner is awesome - having a lot of fun using it.  Now I have some important stuff to use it on :) 

1954G, That's a Bingo - but how does one go about ordering from the site if you can't understand it . . .

Thanks guys,

Evan

Tomix does sell a replacement nose for the 400 series original livery (sets 92796, 92640, etc). 

http://www.imon.co.jp/webshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18757

JC23 密連形TN 400系先頭用

But Tomix doesn't seem to sell the nose for the renewal livery 400 series.  I suppose more original livery 400 series sets have been sold over the years, making demand for the original livery replacement nose higher. 

That's a great find! Nice! Well, the old livery isn't exactly that far off from the new livery except for the line on the nose:

400tsubasa_l.jpg

• Like 1

Nariichi is from Model Trains Plus?

Yes. As long as the part is available, he can get it, even if you (like me) don't know the part numbers. This might mean getting the nose in the new paint.

I've already dropped Nariichi an email to see if he can order this either directly from tomix or via personal shopping order!

Thanks 1954g!

Jeff

I PM'd Nariichi yesterday as well.  Maybe we can order 2 and split on shipping.  Looks like the part value is only like $2 (or $3 cdn) so it might not even be worth his time to get it.  However, if he has a Kato 10-356 2 car add-on, I would order that at the same time.  I'll check his site

Funny how valuable another set of eyes can be . . . So I knew that the cowl was in the case when I put it away, and it wasn't there after a few laps around the layout.  So the layout was the first thing I searched and I obviously found nothing.  Tonight, a buddy came over to run his new Hayabusa and Super Komachi and I told him of my dilemma.  I went downstairs for a drink, and not 1 minute later he yells down "I found your nose"  What??  So I go to the layout and he tells me to find it.  I looked for a good minute in the area he told me and I still couldn't find the damn thing.  Then he points it out to me - under the station, tucked behind a billboard.  Really??  Who the hell deliberately put it there so I couldn't find it?  I needed a pair of tweezers to fish it out.  But I did get it back and beat that damn Murphy as I hadn't ordered a replacement yet.  Still, I think Murphy tucked it behind the billboard.  But I did learn a few things:

1. How to correctly replace the cowl on the car so that it doesn't fall off on the layout

2. That this specialized component is actually available for ordering

3. That the members of this forum are super nice and helpful

Happy New Year all

• Like 3

Emkay, yaaaaaaaaaaa! Love it when that happens. I actually went and looke all thru the 400 box last night for mine even though I looked like a dozen times before. I fear mine is squished onto a cow hoof at the cow palace where we do a lot of train shows!

Btw I did have mine come off on the layout before. You have to get that little flat tounge push in just right so it clips in otherwise it sort of looks like it's attached but not solidly locked in! It is fiddly.

Jeff

Evan,

Well thanks for loosing yours (and finding it of course) as Nariichi was able to source the part, so I'm getting mine replaced!

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff,

Great to hear.  Funny how from the depths of despair (I was devastated) a wonderful ending for both of us occurred.  Okay, maybe I'm making too much out of this, but I think we are both quite pleased :)

Evan

Evan,

No its the little things that can make you feel a lot better! Your despair got someone to find the part, then remind me i had lost mine, then yours got found, then have nariichi source it thru his supplier! fun little chain of events and a win, win, win! why its worth asking here about stuff like that, never know what someone might come up with!

i was thinking of hacking the nose off of my bandai star train 400, but its not quite right, so was just resolved to run it in tandem...

it is a part just screaming to be lost and you wonder why they might just not put in a spare!

I know that feeling when you find something dear missing like that off a train. I have the green max aquarium train which i love so dearly and its uber expensive and no hope probably for spare parts. well the windshields are very loose and it actually derailed under our shinkansen station one show and someone dug it out and got it running again but the windshield had fallen out under the station (much like your nose cone!). i was devastated at the end of the day when i went to put my prize train away! but then someone said oh yeah it derailed under the station. well 30 seconds fishing around and i came up with it. now they are glued in!

so thanks for asking about the nose cone, in the end it fixed my problem even though it ended up not being yours in the end!

jeff

• Like 1