Totoro module layout

tossedman

On 12/27/2015 at 3:13 PM, Jcarlton said:

You might want to try this place for Showa stuff.

http://www.sakatsu.jp/index_e.html

I bought a bunch of details for the shinkansen module that I'm working on.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

On 12/27/2015 at 3:17 PM, Jcarlton said:

Might have to start with one of those trucks and learn how to do surgery. Still looking for an open doored model.

On 12/27/2015 at 4:50 PM, kvp said:

Adding two small guide rails before the points like on tomix turnouts helps keeping the wheels centered and the flanges away from the blades. Actually a piece of styrene or wood filed into a octagon shape, painted and glued down works too.

I haven't had any issues with these turnouts and the B Train Shorties yet, but they're the Kato Compact track turnouts not Tomix. But, I'm thinking about getting some Tomix turnouts to go with the Tomix Wide Tram track we have, so thanks for the tip.

Messed about a bit more this afternoon. Cut out some rice paddies and changed up the hillside fields. Then I got my son to work painting just to see how it looks with some colour. Looks brown! Cutting this foam with a saw and Surform rasp sure is messy though.

totoro12.thumb.jpg.700f5d19ed50dc78967879c96fb4871c.jpg

totoro11.thumb.jpg.d1384d7aef8b2a780c9bc9483c68e25c.jpg

Going to have to get some hydrocal or something to fill in some cracks and smooth out some areas. Got the rice paddies on the way as well.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 2

Good Morning Todd.

I have just received notice that my little 3 wheel truck has been shipped.  Their back orders sure don't take very long.

Should be here in a week.

gerryo

• Like 1

Blew 10 bucks today and got a bug zapper racquet and a small sifter and built a static grass applicator. Hope to try it out in the next couple of days. Just waiting on some bits to come in the mail so I can size things up properly.

• Like 1

I'm now experimenting with the roads. Masked the edges with torn making tape. Once it dries I'll see how it turned out.

Also poured a bit of hydrocal in the stream bed and the front rice paddy area to level out my brutal foam hack job.

totoro13.thumb.jpg.5240ab053823bdce27d9660ebf02b6c0.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 1

Got a bit more work done this evening. I'd picked up some turf and bushes and whatnot and tried a test section to see how it all works and to find out that I really know nothing about landscaping a layout. It was fun though. The glue is still wet, hence the shiny look. I think I'll add a bit of different coloured turf here and there to break up the manicured lawn look. The bridge is a 62mm piece of Kato single track viaduct.

Here are the results. I know the water looks awfully blue but I'm recreating an animated scene, not real life. I'll put some "water" over the blue paint eventually. Also plan to "ballast" the unitrack ballast.

totoro14.thumb.jpg.234bf7cdd8f81b961adf8ab350db896d.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 5

Blew 10 bucks today and got a bug zapper racquet and a small sifter and built a static grass applicator. Hope to try it out in the next couple of days. Just waiting on some bits to come in the mail so I can size things up properly.

Lol a few days back I ordered a 12v 1w negative ion generator on ebay! $3 we shall see...

Jeff

Got a bit more done today. Messing around with water and rice paddies. Turned out ok. Need to put shrubs all along the stream, make a few more rice paddies, bridges, houses, rail ballast, etc., etc..

totoro15.thumb.jpg.0a06f0408f791b54f485a144e69fb8f2.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 6

While I was waiting for the glue along the stream to dry, I added some trees.

totoro16.thumb.jpg.bab16b001903f11ff6ebd2fd5356390f.jpg

I found a little Tomytec bridge that fits well.

totoro17.thumb.jpg.99908e884af16a42ed2868cfe66b92cf.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd 

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 8

That's quite beautiful, Todd. 

When I get along a bit with my layout, can I call on you to finish it for me.  I wish I could do things like that.

gerryo

Thanks guys. Gerry I've not done this before. Have no idea what I'm doing. I just put down some glue and see what sticks to it. I use the shrubs to cover all of my mistakes.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Didn't get much done today. We got sidetracked...

totoro18.thumb.jpg.53ba08c110385187a6f159c5cb224fd2.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 2

Worked on the second of three rice paddies today. Tried a different technique for the dikes between each one. I used extruded clay that I stuck a ton of flocking on. Also, flipped the module around so I can get at the other side to finish the ballast and the side of the track landscaping. That house won't stay, it's just there for the picture.

totoro21.thumb.jpg.10f180c7f23b3a465833840a632ba47a.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 7

It's looking great! Really serene feeling of a nice rice paddy field! I think you need a fence for the railway tracks ~  :)

• Like 1

Wow... love to see it... nice work on rice paddies. The overall layout feels like so much fresh air and far from a hustle and bustle of a big city.. but don't you think the water is too blue? ;) 

Wow... love to see it... nice work on rice paddies. The overall layout feels like so much fresh air and far from a hustle and bustle of a big city.. but don't you think the water is too blue? ;) 

See this post ;)

• Like 1

Found something hiding in the bushes.

totoro22.thumb.jpg.63c5635cc743b8c82fc2e94e5c6fa3f8.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Uploaded images
  • Like 8

It certainly will, that's why I spent a whole $3.00 to have it shipped from China along with a half dozen other Totoro character keychains that are way out of scale and have been claimed by my son.