Tram Party - Rock On Little Trolley

CaptOblivious

From wikipedia:

Sydney, the largest city in Australia, once had the largest tram system in Australia, the second largest in the Commonwealth (after London), and one of the largest in the world. It was extremely intensively worked, with about 1,600 cars in service at any one time at its peak during the 1930s (cf. about 500 trams in Melbourne today). Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, an average of more than one tram journey per day was made by every man and woman, infant and child in the city. Patronage peaked in 1945 at 405 million passenger journeys. The system was in place from 1861 until its winding down in the 1950s and closure in 1961. It had a maximum street mileage of 181 miles (291 km), in 1923.

The last time I was up in Boston, Mass. they still had a trolley system that was in heavy use. I know it's been a very long time time since NYC disbanded it's trolleys and replaced them with buses. But there are parts of the city where you can still find old trolley tracks is remote parts of the streets in NYC.

What ever happened to that proposed 42nd Street Trolley Line that was proposed? I know it was going to all be modern LRT equipment, but I remember such a buzz about that a while ago.

What ever happened to that proposed 42nd Street Trolley Line that was proposed? I know it was going to all be modern LRT equipment, but I remember such a buzz about that a while ago.

A Tram line wouldn't work in NYC, there would be too many traffic problems. Taxis, cars and trucks constantly weave on the road, someone trying to board a Tram might get hit. (I think that's one of the reasons the city got rid of them, too many accidents.)

I think the 42nd street line was going to be separate from the rest of street traffic if I remember the proposal correctly.

I just ran across this on a google: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/vision-of-42nd-street-as-a-car-free-light-rail-corridor/ so I guess the idea is still alive. I remember it from ym active days with LTA back in the early 90's.

Thanks for posting this article, I had no idea there was a LTV idea floating around.

Been around for twenty years, and thought they'd've built the line by now. When I was... active in the mass transit stuff here in my town, there was a lot of buzz about NYC's project.