Joshin Dentetsu EMU and HOKI ballast car

miyakoji

I thought you guys might be interested in maintenance operations with an EMU as a tractor.  This made the Tetsudou Fan news feed, although based on the YouTube search results, it's nothing new.

In late November and early December, Joshin Dentetsu used their 200 series EMU DEHA 205 to pull HOKI 801 on maintenance of way work, distributing ballast along the Joshin Line (their only line) between Shimonita and Joshin-Tomioka.

http://railf.jp/news/2015/12/10/163000.html

English Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%8Dshin_Dentetsu_J%C5%8Dshin_Line

much older picture of DEHA 205: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Joshin-cMc205.jpg

• Like 3

Apparently many of the smaller railways commonly use EMU's to haul Hoki's - the assumption being that they don't have more general electric loco's to handle this task.

The first two images are on the Ohmi, with their distinctive customized Hoki 800's.

I don't know the railways involved with the second two photos, but no doubt they will be quickly identified.

I'll also include an image from a line that assigns two diminutive diesel shunters to this duty - I'm guessing they might struggle a bit with two fully loaded wagons.  They would look really smashing hauling the Ohmi Hoki's!

gallery_941_192_181084.jpg

gallery_941_192_456978.png

gallery_941_192_46965.jpg

gallery_941_192_218575.jpg

gallery_941_192_100867.jpg

The 4th photo is actually JR East. Easy to identify from the Yokosuka colored Kumoyuni or rather from the large JR logo on the train next to it with the shonan stripes. :)

The 4th photo is actually JR East. Easy to identify from the Yokosuka colored Kumoyuni or rather from the large JR logo on the train next to it with the shonan stripes. :)

The train in the background look more JR Central to me.  211 series.  But without knowing how long the consist is.  We'd all be guessing.  Could be anything from a 1000 to 6000 sub series.

JR-Central-EMU-Series211-5000.jpg

Thing is.  Whether it be JRC or JRE, surprizing to see them pull a Hoki along with a EMU.

Edited by katoftw

The second photo with the green tea EMU is from Ohmi also.  I already posted that photo in the Hoki 800 thread.

also?

"The first two images are on the Ohmi, with their distinctive customized Hoki 800's."

The 3rd could be the Jomo electric railway deha101, at least the photo is from a site showing Jomo stock. (it has one full cab and one gangwayed cab end, the latter under the pantograph)

Yes, the 4th one can be JR Central too, it would be possible to check the ownership of the old JNR baggage unit, since its number is visible. Also the blue set id in the top left corner of the passenger set might be a clue. What i did find is that this picture was taken at the Nagano general rolling stock center, a location for many soon to be scrapped trains.

Edited by kvp

Would you know the particular Kumoyuni designation?  I don't think I've seen that one before - I'm used to at least some windows.

The train in the background look more JR Central to me.  211 series.  But without knowing how long the consist is.  We'd all be guessing.  Could be anything from a 1000 to 6000 sub series

They are JR East 211系 cars,  could be former Tōkaidō line 211系0番台 cars, but they could also be former Utsonomiya/Takasaki line 211系1000番台/2000番台/3000番台 (cold weather variant of the 0番台) the resolution of the picture Velotrain provided is too low to accurately determine the sub-type (unless someone knows the date this picture was taken), but they are definitely JR East cars (JR East operated a sizable Shōnan coloured 211系 fleet, the last of which retired in 2012 (Tōkaidō), 2013 (Utsonomiya) and 2014 (Takasaki)).

Edit: After taking a better look at the provided, It's most likely  one of the cold weather 3000番台 formations, as those formations used a green formation designation placard (like in the shot), while the Tōkaidō line 0番台 cars used a white version. (yeah I know I'm pathetic, shoot me...)

Edited by 200系

I realized I had just seen that green switcher from the Nagano General Rolling Stock Center:

and the KuMoYuNi 143-3 was still operating out of there a little more than a year ago:

I'd guess that is it a auxiliary reserve tank for the brakes.  So the EMU's smaller than diesel loco's air brake system doesn't have to labour as much.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

I actually found it more interesting moving further along the line and looking at the freight yard, it looks like the cement works is still served by rail but I am wondering what they use to transport it these days, I suspect that UH20A containers are used in place of Taki 1900's.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

It seems the Ohmi Hoki's had an intermediate phase between the standard black car and the customized yellow one.  It looks like there are already some changes on the brake end, including additional railings.

gallery_941_192_20785.jpg

Besides the auxiliary air tank, it looks like they have moved the brake cylinder to the middle of the deck and added some unknown components under the custom  "table" on the right side of the brake end.

gallery_941_192_105309.jpg

gallery_941_192_144056.jpg