Keiben (HO 1/87 9mm) narrow gauge layouts

bikkuri bahn

IMHO, some of the best railway modelling being done in Japan is by the members of the Keiben Modelling Group, who hold an exhibition in Tokyo every year. The scale is 1/87, but the track used is n scale, to simulate the 762mm narrow gauge.

Video of the latest gathering a couple months back- I especially like the module setup from 1:49 to 4:35.

My absolute favorite from several years back, this has been posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's worth a repost. More along the lines of a "heavy" electric railway than a keiben line, if it wasn't for the 9mm track. Just stunning:

What makes these layouts successful (IMO)? A focus on the railway itself, the rolling stock and the infrastructure, and the immediate scenery. Weathering, but not too over the top to make it "Tooonervillesque" a la Malcolm Furlow. Focusing on the mundane and everyday, but making it realistic, rather than trying to recreate the unusual, improbable, or spectacular.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 11

Thanks for posting this bikkuri - some really great modeling.  I liked the modules with the really tight turns - so different from the boringly straight modules we're used to.  I was also impressed with the high river bridge.

gallery_941_135_68647.jpg

My absolute favorite from several years back, this has been posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's worth a repost.  More along the lines of a "heavy" electric railway than a keiben line, if it wasn't for the 9mm track.  Just stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9duKWxbyfI

Yes...the yard and the substation modules are just some of my favourite...

Cheers NB

Ah yes, the Keiben Matsuri. After some recent ventures into this world, I really want to visit the next time! Although the mainstay is HO, with some O gauge, N sometimes also appears, if rarely.