kato unitrack spacing question

nik_n_dad

Hello.

We are doing a major expansion of the layout (but trying to re-use as much existing track as possible).  We will have two separate double-tracked lines:  Re-using/expanding the "ground level" track which will be used for freight.  We will be adding an elevated/viaduct line for passengers.  

We are building with kato unitrack.

The overall thought on the new layout is to put a view-block down the middle with a modern city scene on one side and a mountain/rural scene on the other.

Since we want to re-use the existing ground-level/main-line, it will end up running through our "city scene".  We may even have a tram cross it (just crazy ideas at that point).

the real question is that we're considering using the "Kato N 40021 UNITRAM Street Track to Unitrack Conversion Track" pieces to take the standard double track width for the freight mainline (33mm) down to 25mm as the freight line runs through the city.  Do you see any reason why this would be a problem?  Would we have any issues with the trains being too close?  Other thoughts?

Thanks for any ideas or pointers.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-UNITRAM-Track-to-Conversion-p/kat-40021.htm

It should be fine on straight track, but curves won't work as they're designed around the standard 33mm spacing (so you won't be able to get the right radius for the second track).

The unitram spacing is actually the same as the original t-trak spacing. As long as you don't have curves it will be ok. Longer rigid locomotives (steamers) will have problems with the track distance conversion and curve pieces but the first can be replaced with a more gentle one and normal unitrack curves could be used with some straight widening pieces.

I suggest the t-trak specification as a good reference for freight on the small track distance tracks.

• Like 1

Nick,

is it all straight thru your town? straight will be fine at the 25mm, but the curves on longer freight cars could be a problem. they do a swing out curve on the unitram plates (smooth versions of the original ttrak standard corners), may or may not bump with the swing out and may not be happy with longer cars on the tighter unitram radiuses (like 80' auto racks!).

jeff

thanks for the replies.

yes, we'd only reduce the spacing "through town" as straights.  We'd go back to the 33mm spacing before entering any curves

Edited by nik_n_dad

if you want to test any cars just put two pieces of single unitrak butt up against each other, this is where the 25mm spacing comes from. transitions are pretty minor so i doubt any swing would bump cars on the other track even with mongo freight cars.

cheers

jeff

Something I only learned from a Kato leaflet which Modeltrainplus very helpfully included in a parcel: The Unitram curves actually spread out to 33mm centres halfway through.

For the ultimate in silliness, connect a 45 degree Unitram curve section to 135 degrees of 480/447mm radius double track curves!

I have a similar situation. One of the stations I am going to model (Dawlish in the UK) has tracks very close to each other. So I need to be able to get the 33mm spacing down to 25mm and then widen it back out to 33mm. One potential problem is that the station is immediately after a 447-480 double track 45 degree curve. So the 45degree curve and immediately the transition from 33mm to 25mm. Is this asking for trouble? The other side of the station has straight section though. Also is it possible to achieve this transition with any of the existing Unitrack curves or do I need to get the Unitram transition piece? How would something like the ICE4 handle these transitions?