A Bad Year For Airbus

Guest ___

Totally of-topic for a train board, but something I ran across checking email, and it's making it rounds on Airliners.net at the moment. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_disasters_glance;_ylt=AmocJZxK9E.w_P46Y9knLtes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJnZGZlZ2M4BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNjMwL21sX3llbWVuX3BsYW5lX2NyYXNoBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDNgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNyZWxhdGVk

Note two of the worse accidents involved AB products a month apart from each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A look at world's deadliest air disasters

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS The Associated Press

A look at some of the world's deadliest air disasters:

June 30, 2009: Yemenia Airbus 310 enroute to the Comoros Islands crashes in the Indian Ocean. 153 people were on board.

June 1, 2009: Air France Airbus A330 runs into thunderstorms over the Atlantic after leaving Brazil and disappears. 228 people on board.

Feb. 19, 2003: Iranian Revolutionary Guard military plane crashes into a mountain. 275 dead.

May 25, 2002: China Airlines Boeing 747 breaks apart midair and crashes into the Taiwan Strait. 225 dead.

Nov. 12, 2001: American Airlines Airbus A300 crashes after takeoff from JFK Airport into the New York City borough of Queens. 265 dead, including people on the ground.

Oct. 31, 1999: EgyptAir Boeing 767 crashes off Nantucket; the NTSB blames actions by the co-pilot. 217 dead.

Sept. 2, 1998: Swissair MD-11 crashes off Nova Scotia. 229 dead.

Feb. 16, 1998: China Airlines Airbus A300 crashes on landing at airport in Taipei, Taiwan. 203 dead.

Sept. 26, 1997: Garuda Indonesia Airbus A300 crashes near airport in Medan, Indonesia. 234 dead.

Aug. 6, 1997: Korean Air Boeing 747-300 crashes on landing in Guam. 228 dead.

Nov. 12, 1996: Saudi Boeing 747 collides with Kazakh cargo plane near New Delhi. 349 dead.

July 17, 1996: TWA Boeing 747 explodes and crashes into the Atlantic off Long Island, New York. 230 dead.

April 26, 1994: China Airlines Airbus A300 crashes on landing at Nagoya Airport in Japan. 264 dead.

Dec. 12, 1985: Arrow Air DC-8 crashes after takeoff from Newfoundland, Canada. 256 dead.

Aug. 12, 1985: Japan Air Lines Boeing 747 crashes into a mountainside after losing part of its tail fin. 520 dead in the world's worst single-plane disaster.

Aug. 19, 1980: Saudi Tristar makes emergency landing in Riyadh and bursts into flames. 301 dead.

May 25, 1979: American Airlines DC-10 crashes after takeoff from Chicago's O'Hare Airport. 275 dead.

Jan. 1, 1978: Air India 747 crashes into the ocean after takeoff from Mumbai. 213 dead.

March 27, 1977: KLM 474, Pan American 747 collide on runway in Tenerife, Canary Islands. 583 dead in world's worst airline disaster.

___

Source: World Almanac, Associated Press.

That list is a little biased, since it focuses on accidents with high fatality rates, which will naturally tend toward the largest airliners that fly overseas routes. Airbus aircraft account for a large percentage of those flights.

For a more comprehensive look, you can check out Wikipedia's year-by-year listing of aircraft accidents. In 2009 so far, Airbus has had three accidents (all different models of plane), with Boeing, Embraer, Bombardier, and Mcdonell-Douglas one each. In 2008, Boeing accidents appear to have outnumbered Airbus accidents.

CaptOblivious

This is not what I need to hear 24 hours before embarking on 17 hours worth of trans-Pacific flight…

Martijn Meerts

Those numbers are all really scary, but they need to put them next to the huge amount of flights each year that arrive at their destination safely.

This is not what I need to hear 24 hours before embarking on 17 hours worth of trans-Pacific flight…

Yeah, don't show this numbers to my Gfriend who is going to take a low cost flight to Paris tomorow morning. She is going to be (even more) freaked out.

That list is a little biased, since it focuses on accidents with high fatality rates, which will naturally tend toward the largest airliners that fly overseas routes. Airbus aircraft account for a large percentage of those flights.

For a more comprehensive look, you can check out Wikipedia's year-by-year listing of aircraft accidents. In 2009 so far, Airbus has had three accidents (all different models of plane), with Boeing, Embraer, Bombardier, and Mcdonell-Douglas one each. In 2008, Boeing accidents appear to have outnumbered Airbus accidents.

I don't see how it is at all biased, considering the title is: A look at world's deadliest air disasters. Now, off to look, for the A look at world's sexist's air disasters which I beleive Alyssa Milano was involved with.

Tenorikuma

Those numbers are all really scary, but they need to put them next to the huge amount of flights each year that arrive at their destination safely.

In fact, I heard there is some kind of aircraft incident nearly every day, but this is dwarfed by the thousands of flights that occur daily. Statistically, airplane flying is safer than automobiles, or so they say.

In fact, I heard there is some kind of aircraft incident nearly every day...

Except a 153 three people don't die on them, nor are they crashing in to the water from 40k feet.