Kato knuckle couplers - dumb question, maybe

NGT6 1315

Morning,

having searched the forum for possible answers did not yield any results, so I would like to know the following. Having had a look at Kato's knuckle coupler imitations (items 11-702 and 11-707) I was thinking about getting a package of either one, in case any Kato engine I might get in the future should not have any knuckle couplers included. However: Can I indeed fit these couplers to all Kato stock which is fitted with Rapido couplers from the factory?

And as an aside, do Kato engines usually come with knuckle couplers as add-on bits nowadays, as seems to be the case with Tomix?

TIA :cheesy !

CaptOblivious

And as an aside, do Kato engines usually come with knuckle couplers as add-on bits nowadays, as seems to be the case with Tomix?

All of the Kato locomotives I've purchased, anyway, have come with additional Kato-style knuckle couplers. So while I can't say "yes", I think it's a good bet.

The couplers mentioned do not fit locos with pilot/body mounted couplers. As pointed out, locos already come with knuckle couplers. These couplers will only fit stock rapido coupler boxes (with the springs removed).

Frankly, I think these couplers look very dated and unrealistic. A better option is the new coupler with trip pins:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1078&keywords=NSUPERLINER1&maxhits=100&go=List+Parts&bool=AND&bool=AND

Look for part 923500 towards the bottom. They cost a little more (twice as much) but a.) they look *way* better, (b.) have trip pins for automatic operation, and (c.) these *will* fit locos with pilot/body mount couplers (as they have the required hole plus the contacts for the flat spring). I also prefer these to Microtrains because they are sturdier and more reliable. It's unusual that Kato actually has these in stock as they are usually out...

CaptOblivious

The couplers mentioned do not fit locos with pilot/body mounted couplers. As pointed out, locos already come with knuckle couplers. These couplers will only fit stock rapido coupler boxes (with the springs removed).

I'm gonna have to check now, but I could swear my EF65 and EF66, which have body-mount couplers, came with bits to convert them to using the Kato knuckle coupler

Frankly, I think these couplers look very dated and unrealistic. A better option is the new coupler with trip pins:

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1078&keywords=NSUPERLINER1&maxhits=100&go=List+Parts&bool=AND&bool=AND

Look for part 923500 towards the bottom. They cost a little more (twice as much) but a.) they look *way* better, (b.) have trip pins for automatic operation, and (c.) these *will* fit locos with pilot/body mount couplers (as they have the required hole plus the contacts for the flat spring). I also prefer these to Microtrains because they are sturdier and more reliable. It's unusual that Kato actually has these in stock as they are usually out...

But, I thought those just were re-branded M-T couplers? But looking at them closely, they don't look quite like M-Ts.

At the Japanese Kato "Custom Shop" website, they will sell you upgraded locomotives, with DCC or automatic couplers. You can read this site as providing a set of recommendations. For my EF65, Kato offers to install M-T no. 2001 couplers. But I've also read reports that say M-T conversion of Kato locos is a real pain.

So these couplers you link to are rather new to me, and have piqued my curiosity—where could we learn more about them?

And…back to answering Tsubasa's question…

alpineaustralia

I have fitted the 11-702 to all my rolling stock. They fit everything from Japanese to American rolling stock easily and effortlessly.

Locos on the other hand must be fitted with either the factory supplied knuckle couplers or microtrains (after some modification of the loc and the coupler which is a real pain and doesnt work real well). You cannot fit the 11-7-2 to locos.

disturbman

Indeed, I second Alpine on this one. 11-702 goes on every Kato rolling stock but not on the locos who usually come with their own set of knuckle couplers.

Indeed, I second Alpine on this one. 11-702 goes on every Kato rolling stock but not on the locos who usually come with their own set of knuckle couplers.

New guy assimilating old stuff here. I have  C57 (2007-1) and a D51 (2009). Both have truck mounted Rapidos on the tender. Is the 11-702 isn't going to work, what will? Thanks

In my experience Kato locs (at least the electric and diesel ones) come with two different types of coupler, the regular rapido and the knuckle type couplers. Check your box.

CaptOblivious

New guy assimilating old stuff here. I have  C57 (2007-1) and a D51 (2009). Both have truck mounted Rapidos on the tender. Is the 11-702 isn't going to work, what will? Thanks

However, these Kato knuckle couplers that come in the loco box, if yours has those, are not ideally suited for shunting work. They are fine for fixed consists, but do not uncouple like the M-Ts. If you want shunting couplers, you will have to devise a way to mount M-T couplers to the tender.

According to this page:

http://www.katomodels.com/hobby/customshop/kakou/t_kakou/2007-1_kakou.html

http://www.katomodels.com/hobby/customshop/kakou/t_kakou/2009_kakou.html

The C57 and D51 can be fitted with Kato 11-707 knuckle couplers (non-magnematic) or Kato MT-10 couplers, which are packaged in pairs as Kato part no. 11-711, also known in the US as Micro-Trains part no. MT-10, sold in pairs in the US as Micro-trains part no. 1129 (old numbering scheme) and 001 30 013 (new numbering scheme).

The

The electric and diesel do come with their own (usually preassembled and fully automatic though not magnetic) couplers. Most of the steam however works with the 11-702 couplers (D51 though I'm not sure) and the Kato rebranded Microtrains couplers. The rear couplers are usually replaced by taking the top off the tender, which allows the rapido coupler to be removed and replaced. For the front coupler (which is usually a prototypically sized non-functional coupler out of the box) you probably need to have kept all those parts that came in the box - for at least some models there is a replacement for the front "plow" of the train which contains a coupler box and a rapido coupler. The rapido can then be replaced with the 11-702.

CaptOblivious
The

... "end" or did you forget to post some other words? ;)

That was a pre-emptive "the". I had expected the D51 would be different, and began to type "The D51 uses…", then I saw that it took the same parts as the C57. I forgot to erase the "the" from my post! :laugh:

Hello Group,

Resurrecting this informative post hoping to get a specific answer.  I just acquired a bunch of Tomix freight cars with (I believe) TN couplers.  Whilst these look great, they are a major pain to get apart - and yes, I know that they are meant to be that way.  I, however, like to switch cars around and these just don't facilitate that.  I like the idea of going to the Kato 11-702's but am wondering if they couple on their own ie. backing a train onto a car and having it couple.  From what I've read in this forum, these 11-702's will simply replace the TN's on the Tomix trucks, correct?

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/jets427/compatible_zpsqaxevvy5.jpg

I have one Tomix locomotive (EF64-1000) that has their own brand of knuckle coupler that doesn't seem compatible with the 702's in either coupler function or mounting.  Has anyone converted one of these?

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq142/jets427/couplers_zpsvxynyxwx.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Evan K

Windsor ON

If you want to mix tomix and kato and want to shunt then i would suggest either rapido or microtrains couplers. Both are reliable and can be installed everywhere.

HantuBlauLOL

If you want to mix tomix and kato and want to shunt then i would suggest either rapido or microtrains couplers. Both are reliable and can be installed everywhere.

Shunting with rapido is only for Tomix locos imho.

There are two types of uncouplers for rapidos. The classic rapido uncoupler ramp can be used with any old rapido coupler as long as the small pin on the underside is present. The uncoupler ramp is pushed up (either manually or by a magnet or motor), this lifts one of the couplers up and disconnects them. This is a good way to remotely uncouple passenger sets too. It's easy to add such ramps to any tomix straight by routing a rod that pushes up the uncoupler plate through the larger mounting holes. The plate should have a trapezoidal longitudinal cross section, so it works are a ramp when pushed up. This allows uncoupling while the cars are moving or not positioned correctly. Many european manufacturers offer ready made and remotely controllable track pieces if you don't want to build your own. Static uncoupler inserts are also awailable, that can be placed between the rails.

The alternative is the Tomix uncoupler magnet, which works with magnet coupler equipped Tomix locos or any rapido coupler with a small and thin neodymium magnet glued to it's bottom next to the uncoupler ramp pin. The uncoupler magnet in the track can be a permanent one (either fixed or moved mechanically) or an electromagnet controlled remotely with electricity. It's even possible to mix the two systems on a single layout as the magnetic rapido couplers work with the mechanical ramps too.

So while the rapidos don't really look scale, they are very robust and reliable couplers and can be used for remote controlled coupling and uncoupling even with slightly mismatched coupler heights and various coupler mounting solutions. Imho this is why it was kept as a the common baseline between all N scale vendors.