Dani,

Wow! can we come over for dinner! every night?! looks excellent!

Both my wife and I can eat japanese food day in and day out, its the one food we never tire of. Im hoping when i retire ill get more of an interest in cooking with more time and start cooking japanese food myself!

now my mouth is watering with those pictures up, damn you!

jeff

I didn't know that shop, looks great!!! If I had it in Europe.... at least in Barcelona Japanese food importers (I said Japanese, no Chinese...) are REALLY expensive.

Since we are sharing recipes, and not all Japanese - here is my Chili recipe.  Good for cold nights and Football season!

1 lb ground beef

1 lb pork sausage

1 large onion chopped

1 (each) large green and red peppers chopped

2-3 ribs celery chopped

2 15oz cans kidney beans

29oz can tomato puree

6 oz can tomato paste

2 cloves garlic - minced

2 heaping tblsp chili powder

this is the basic recipe but I usually double it and use 2 to 2  1/2 lbs of ground beef and HOT sausage each.  I  use 5 cans kidney beans, 2 drained, everything else is doubled except the celery and tomato paste.  I also add Worchestishire sauce, cayenne pepper and allspice at the end.

Brown the beef and sausage and drain.  In a Very large pot on medium  heat,  saute the onion, garlic, celery and peppers until the onion starts to become transparent. Add the tomato paste and stir constantly until well mixed and the paste starts to turn color. (The darker the better) turn heat to low and add the meat, stir well, add all other ingredients and keep stirring so nothing sticks to the bottom.  If need be add some water but not too much   I start on Friday nite and let this cook on low for about 2 -  4 hours, put the lid on the pot, turn off the heat and leave on the stove.

Saturday morning turn the heat on low and let cook all day till dinner time, checking and stirring every once in awhile.  If it starts to boil turn off heat and let sit.  Turn heat back on in an hr or two.  Turn off at night and leave on stove.

Sunday morning take the lid off the pot, cook on low, and add a couple dashes of  Worchestishire sauce, cayenne and black pepper  to taste and a dash or two of allspice.  Keep stirring once in awhile and check the taste and add more Worchestishire, cayenne and black pepper till your satisfied.  Let simmer til about 1 hr before dinner  then turn off heat and put lid on to keep hot until serving

Makes 16 bowls. (doubled)

ENJOY   

I like my Chili "HOT" so I usually chop up 6 to 10 Thai Red Chili peppers and add to the mix.

Ha super close to my mom's spaghetti sauce recipe that with a few additions  (chilli mainly and the beans) would become chilli the next day. letting the sauce sit a day or two after cooking before making it into the chilli really gave it a richer flavor! became a staple in college as it was pretty cheap to make a large batch and i could feed friends for a good part of the week (and freeze some chilli for myself) and bank some favors for car rides, etc!

its getting time of year to get the crock pot out for some chili and stew except its going to be 80 here wed!

cheers

jeff

Ok, I'll chip in with a very easy dish to just "stick in the oven" when you have little time (or are too tired to do anything more complicated).

This is my famous Phili-Chicken!!!!

You will need the following (Multiply the ingredients for the amount of people you are cooking for):

1 fresh chicken portion - this needs to be a leg or something else that has the skin remaining. Chicken breasts dont work.

Philidelphia or other Cream Cheese.

3 rashers of Unsmoked back bacon.

Take a fresh chicken portion and make a small slit in the top of the chickin skin. Put around a dessert spoon size amount of Cream Cheese inside the skin and spread as well as you can under the skin without breaking it away from the meat. use a cocktail stick or cooking pin to pin the skin closed. lightly brush the skin with oil and season to your taste with Salt & Pepper and herbs of your choice. Place in a baking dish (i find a pyrex glass dish best) and place in the oven on 180degrees (or the equivilant Gas mark) for 30 minutes.

Remove the chicken from the oven and remove the pins/cocktail sticks. Be careful here as the chicken and cheese will be very hot!!! Tightly wrap the rashers of bacon around the chicken, making sure to cover the opening in the skin. Replace back in the oven for a further 20 minutes.

Serve with your favourite vegetables and voila!

Sounds De-Lish!  Will definately try this recipe. 

Ha super close to my mom's spaghetti sauce recipe that with a few additions  (chilli mainly and the beans) would become chilli the next day. letting the sauce sit a day or two after cooking before making it into the chilli really gave it a richer flavor! became a staple in college as it was pretty cheap to make a large batch and i could feed friends for a good part of the week (and freeze some chilli for myself) and bank some favors for car rides, etc!

its getting time of year to get the crock pot out for some chili and stew except its going to be 80 here wed!

cheers

jeff

jeff

The base sauce for the recipe could definately be used for Italilan "gravy" if you add bay leaf, oregano, etc.,

Regards

Richard

That onion soup sounds tasty. Here's something I cooked up last week that turned out really great (and is a nice nod to my southern Louisiana heritage)

(also, don't let the ham hocks put you off: They're crucial!)

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

CaptOblivious

Spent a lot of time in Nor'leans while stationed in Panama City, Fla.  The sign back then actually said "Welcome to Panama City, LA (lower Alabama laugh:)   Had a friend from Homa,La and spent many weekends with him and his family in the swamp.  Ever been there?  The "Best" crawfish etoufee I've ever had!   Smoked ham hocks are very crucial for southern La recipe's, especially greens.  Love em!

Thanks for for the link

Darren and all you Philly Cream Cheese Lovers, here's my "famous" Crab Dip recipe.  I use Jumbo Lump crab meat when in season, but the canned claw meat works well as there are no shell peices. 

Poor Richard’s Crab Dip

8 0z’s Cream Cheese - softened

6  Whole Scallion’s - chopped

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 Cup Heinz Chili sauce

3 Teaspoons Horseradish

4  drops Tabasco sauce

1 - 6 oz can Crab Claw meat

2  Tablespoons Fresh Lemon juice

1  Cup Fresh Italian Parsley - chopped ( do not substitute )

Garlic powder and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste

1 pack Carr’s Cracked Black Pepper Crackers

Combine Cream Cheese, Scallions, and Crab Meat.  Form into log or other desired shape.  Refrigerate or make before serving.

Combine all other ingredients (except crackers ) in plastic container with lid and refrigerate 24 hrs for sauce to meld - Very Important!

Pour sauce over log before serving.  Enjoy.

Yield - 10 to 12 servings

CaptOblivious

That onion soup sounds tasty. Here's something I cooked up last week that turned out really great (and is a nice nod to my southern Louisiana heritage)

(also, don't let the ham hocks put you off: They're crucial!)

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

CaptOblivious

Spent a lot of time in Nor'leans while stationed in Panama City, Fla.  The sign back then actually said "Welcome to Panama City, LA (lower Alabama laugh:)   Had a friend from Homa,La and spent many weekends with him and his family in the swamp.  Ever been there?  The "Best" crawfish etoufee I've ever had!   Smoked ham hocks are very crucial for southern La recipe's, especially greens.  Love em!

Thanks for for the link

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm of Cajun descent myself, so…yes ;)

• Like 1
Did you know this YT Channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog

Thanks Kai,

LOL, thats a hoot! well trained dog not to run off with the meat with one glance away. our dog would be drooling up a storm during that!

they do seem like nice and easy to do recipes.also little presentation lessons as well. the japanese roast beef is making my mouth water...

jeff

so i have let these play while working here and they are quite good! the Okonomiyaki was mouth watering.

i love francis the talking poodle.

jeff

Cooking with Dog has to be one the best Youtube channels I have ever seen.

I showed my wife the Christmas cake episode once, and have been tasked with trying it out :)

I am glad that you like my favorite YT channel. Francis is a really cool dog. I think that he is full with other Food :-)

My favorite japanese Food is udon in all variations. I make udon completly by myself. 500g wheat flour, 250ml salted water.

The udon comes as fried with pork or chicken, wild onions and shitake or as a soup (bukake or nabe)

Martijn Meerts

Obviously there shouldn't be any horse meat in a beef burger, but horse meat actually does taste really good..