Sign in to follow this  
miyakoji

JR Freight: new HOKI 1100 hopper car

miyakoji

Who wants some new freight cars?  JR Freight (or Taiheiyo Cement) does!  I noticed this Tetsudou Fan news item about HOKI1100-1 going for test runs.  It was actually delivered last month from Nippon Sharyo.  I seem to remember Taiheiyo cars at Kasadera, I wonder if these will have the same duties in the future.

I'd go along on these tests provided I can ride in the caboose and not the so-called "research cabins" on the KOKI.  Iyada! :grin

http://railf.jp/news/2015/11/16/123000.html

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JR%E8%B2%A8%E7%89%A9%E3%83%9B%E3%82%AD1100%E5%BD%A2%E8%B2%A8%E8%BB%8A

at Toyokawa Station, by TrainPochi

between Shizuoka Freight and Higashi Shizuoka, by tobiiro3go

• Like 2

katoftw

Much taller than the older versions.  And with curved hold instead of straight walls, it will hold even more.

Edited by katoftw

bikkuri bahn

cement car?

Fly ash or calcium carbonate are transported in these.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

cement car?

Yes, just like West Sumatra's cement cars (or in local term: KKW Semen Indarung)...

Much taller than the older versions.  And with curved hold instead of straight walls, it will hold even more.

The specification is likely being largely changed for the new ones, as transporting cement through the rail is still largely needed by some of cement companies in Japan, which means that the volume needed to be transported every year is always increasing...

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501

Nick_Burman

The specification is likely being largely changed for the new ones, as transporting cement through the rail is still largely needed by some of cement companies in Japan, which means that the volume needed to be transported every year is always increasing...

For which flow are these cars going to be used?

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn

Nick, these are intended for the dedicated fly ash/calcium carbonate trains running between the Taiheiyo Cement plant at Fujiwara in Mie Pref. (on the Sangi Rlwy) and the Chubu Electric Power plant(coal fired) at Hekinan in Aichi Pref. These trains are nicknamed "shirohoki kamotsu" i.e. white hopper freights.

Nick_Burman

Nick, these are intended for the dedicated fly ash/calcium carbonate trains running between the Taiheiyo Cement plant at Fujiwara in Mie Pref. (on the Sangi Rlwy) and the Chubu Electric Power plant(coal fired) at Hekinan in Aichi Pref. These trains are nicknamed "shirohoki kamotsu" i.e. white hopper freights.

New cars for an old flow... Calcium carbonate then - used for stack scrubbing. The carbonate reacts with the sulphur in the smoke and turns into artifical gypsum.

Cheers NB

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Of course that it is also usable for cement transportation (IMHO), though the main purpose of this car is actually carrying fly ash (but it does owned by Taiheiyo Cement) :read2: