Riding the Cassiopeia

spacecadet

If anyone's interested, I cobbled together all the video and some of the pics I shot on board the Cassiopeia from Ueno to Sapporo last month:

I know it's not the only Cassiopeia video on YouTube but I didn't see any from English speakers, so I'm also happy to answer any questions about it. Sorry for the pixelization in a couple parts - my wife just likes privacy, but I realized I had no other photos of the dining car at night.

I have a full trip report here: http://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2015/11/riding-cassiopeia-night-train-through.html

• Like 12

Thanks for that nice report!

But I'm green with envy.... after 4 trips to Japan I wasnt able to ride the Cassiopeia (or the Hokutosei)... and it seems It will never happen, because its gonna be phased out on march 2016 :(

Lucky you :)

SuRoNeFu 25-501

But I'm green with envy.... after 4 trips to Japan I wasnt able to ride the Cassiopeia (or the Hokutosei)... and it seems It will never happen, because its gonna be phased out on march 2016 :(

Somehow, there is a rumor where E26 series coaches being used on Cassiopeia would not be fully retired (which means that it is only relegated to extra services)... But at this time I don't know whether it will become true or not, because the time has yet to arrive...

Yeah, Wikipedia says the Cassiopeia service started in July 1999, I'm hopeful that JR East will resist the urge to scrap those cars right away.

Does anyone know if the 209 series light-build principles were applied to the design and construction of the E26 cars?

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Yeah, Wikipedia says the Cassiopeia service started in July 1999, I'm hopeful that JR East will resist the urge to scrap those cars right away.

Does anyone know if the 209 series light-build principles were applied to the design and construction of the E26 cars?

From my own knowledge, with the fact that E26 cars were constructed with lightweight stainless steel body (where the steel plate itself has same characteristic with the 209 series carbody), it seemed that these cars also carried light-build principles (as well as half lifespan)... Hope JR East would not scrap those cars right after the discontinuation of Cassiopeia, because they are still too luxurious to be flagged as "ready to scrap"...

The conductor on our train told us that they've been having increasing reliability issues with a lot of things on the train over the past few years. So my guess is they're going to scrap the cars. Sounds like they'd need a full refurbishment/rebuild to keep running, which I doubt they'll do.

Everything seemed in pretty good shape from a passenger perspective, although there's some wear and tear in the rooms that they've tried to hide/patch up.

Also the TV in the rooms seems a little anachronistic these days (and it doesn't really work either). So I think they'd need to do something to the interiors if they wanted to keep running these too.

• Like 1

btw, does the mug make all beverages taste better? I bet it does. I'd have made an offer for the tableware, as well as any crew member's official JR necktie :)

btw, does the mug make all beverages taste better? I bet it does. I'd have made an offer for the tableware, as well as any crew member's official JR necktie :)

I haven't used the mug, I actually don't know where it is right now :) (I'm sure I have it somewhere.)

They really should have some kind of public sale when they scrap this train, but I don't know if they normally do that. There is a *lot* of Cassiopeia-themed stuff on the train that they could easily sell.

I think they did have some of the tableware for sale at the souvenir stand, although not stuff that was actually used on board of course. But you could buy the flower vase they use on the tables, at least. They had a lot of stuff for sale, I don't remember all of it. I kept thinking to take a picture of that but never got around to it.

They really should have some kind of public sale when they scrap this train, but I don't know if they normally do that. There is a *lot* of Cassiopeia-themed stuff on the train that they could easily sell.

There is a good chance they will do that.  Most depot open days have auction events for parts off scrapped trainsets, many railfans go to the open days just to buy these things, not to see anything else. As the Cassiopeia cars are more recent build, no worries about getting some asbestos-laced paint on your souvenir, either...

Edited by bikkuri bahn
SuRoNeFu 25-501

So my guess is they're going to scrap the cars. Sounds like they'd need a full refurbishment/rebuild to keep running, which I doubt they'll do.

Honestly, this is also one of my thought, because you had to know that JR East has already defined "half the lifespan" principle on all of their non-Shinkansen rolling stocks, which means that instead of undergoing refurbishment after reaching the maximum lifespan, they would be scrapped. This principle is defined by JR East probably because of the fact that passengers were already tired with the "boring" JNR-type trains (primarily the famous 103 series) back in the early 1990s...

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501

:( that is sad. is this the last great night trian in japan?

One of the last loco-hauled night trains if not the last. There are however, the Sunrise Seto and Izumo night trains out of Tokyo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1