Complicated tram track idea

Tyler B

I've always liked the complexity of some tram systems, I also like to make things difficult for myself! So, using a few old assorted bits of track, I've attempted to roughly lay out a complicated tram terminus/through station, like you might see on many European tram networks. It might evolve into a tram layout later, but at the moment it's just a crazy idea.

The concept is that trams coming in or going out on line A can go directly onto line B or C via their own dedicated platforms without reversing (yellow platforms), its also possible for services to go directly between B and C. Platforms for services travelling in the same direction are grouped together.

To make things more complicated, I've wanted to make it possible for trams coming from each direction to be able to terminate and then go back the way they came. I've assumed the use of old style single-ended trams so there needed to be a reversing loop terminus on each line too.

I like the way that some systems have a terminating platform where passengers are offloaded, and then when ready the tram moves forward into a departure platform ready to begin it's return journey, so I've incorporated this too. On the attached picture the red platforms are for terminating services, while the yellow platforms are departure platforms or through service platforms.

Finally I wanted to see if I could fit it all onto an existing 4ft by 2ft board :)

Please take a look at the attached picture, I'd love to have feedback, especially if you notice any issues or conflicts which I haven't spotted!

post-878-0-77311700-1447333735_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not a big fan of point-to-point layouts that don't allow for continuous running but I do like this. With three stub terminals it allows for some interesting routing, especially if more than one tram is operating at the same time. If you're thinking about turning it into a layout I'd say go for it.

• Like 2

Add 3 branches with 3 loops and you got yourself an early 20th century tram network.

ps: A very similar one is being torn up right now in Budapest. It will be replaced with a double track delta and a big pedestrian area and metro enterance in the middle, so the long double ended trams would fit to the longer stops.

• Like 1

Very cool concept! The rather wide setup also allows for a nice and dense urban setting with a nice routing through narrow streets. :) It would fit very well as a distribution module within a T-Trak setup, as T-Trak also functions as a loop-layout where one-directional trams are the norm (except on some single-track setups that tend to occur from time to time).

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments! I agree there is possibly slightly more track than necessary in some places but I wanted to try and separate some tram movements as much as possible - ideally so several trams can be moving at the same time. Wiring may be a bit complicated but all the tracks are single-direction with no need to reverse so this may make things easier

I also wanted to use the Kato unitram double crossing so I extended a few lines a bit further than strictly necessary! I might even throw a few bits of Tomix tram track into the mix... 

Some of the trams I have, including the Arnold ones, aren't totally happy with curves that are too tight so I may have to adjust things a bit.

I'm also considering getting a slightly longer baseboard, maybe just an extra six inches or so, so things can be neatened up a little.

If this was to go ahead as a layout, I envisage possibly building extra boards in a modular way, time and money permitting, but to simpler design, such as the classic single reverse loop terminal, and maybe a depot.

I think you need a route chooser mechanism on the crossings, so your trams won't kiss each other there..

So when one tram is crossing, the another tram stops a few milimeters before the crossing..

• Like 1