Layout - Little Japan

Concept Model Trains

Concept Model Trains

I've attached some pictures of my latest layout. Due to space restrictions I have had to keep this layout it small.  It is only 40" x 32" (101 cm x 81cm).  The idea was to create something that would be good for trams. Fortunately I can also fit a short Shinkansen as well.  Let me know what you think.  I plan to do some more work on the layout and would like some feedback on the result so far.

post-71-13569922843847_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569922844203_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569922844558_thumb.jpg

post-71-1356992284494_thumb.jpg

post-71-135699228453_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569922845994_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569922846385_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569922846872_thumb.jpg

Darren Jeffries

This is very nice, and it shows that space should not be an issue in designing a feature packed layout. There are some nice elements there.

SubwayHypes

I really like what i see.  I noticed that concrete house from tomytec, ive been wanting that, it came out nice. 

I also noticed your little Porsche and Mercedes autos, arent they more suited for a European layout?  Just kidding, i dont care, the layout overal looks great!

Claude_Dreyfus

Looks good... :grin

Quick query; what is the small yellow shunter like a slow speed and for shunting? It looks to be one of the Kawai examples....

The track plan is bit complicating. I would have thought that, being a tram layout, the tram tracks will have made a "finished" loop.

I would only say that the layout will be even better with a more busy city feeling, with building stretching outside the ring and even with tram runing in the middle of the streets. :)

Nice work!  Its funny, I didn't realize how small the layout was until the final picture!  You've done a great job in a small space!

Concept Model Trains

I'll have to think about trading in those cars!  Might be time to upgrade to some Mazda's, Honda's and Toyota's.   :grin  The inner loop was added an after thought so I didn't really have an easy way for car access.  It was the first time I used the 216 curves and I was pleased with result especially the Modemo trams.  I'm thinking of building another layout that is even better suited to trams.  It will feature the Toyama Light Rail on a 30" x 20" layout.  I might use Tomix Fine Track on this one.  The yellow shunter is actually a Bachmann.  I picked it up at Fisher Discounts in Canberra (Australia).  A good but buy.  I bought two for $80.  Kawai sell these units as well.  They all come out of the same factory in China.  The unit runs really well at slow speed and the performance is much better then I expected.  Much better then other Bachmann trains I have used.  I appraciate the feedback.  Working on a small layout presents some challenges that you don't find on a large layout.

Nice layout there mate. I like to see detailed layouts and also this shows what can be achieved in a small space :grin. I am currently designing a track plan for my first ever Japanese N gauge layout :icon_thumleft:.

EWS60008 - If I haven't already welcome to the forum. If you are in the planning stages of your 1st layout, why don't you start your own thread in "Personal Projects" and maybe some of the members here can help you.

Concept Model Trains

I found the feedback from forum members to be most helpful in making the final adjustments to the Little Japan layout. Just shows that you should get some advice before finishing a layout. Over the last month I have ordered some extra supplies from Plaza Japan. The idea was to fill some of the empty space and make the car collection look more Japanese. My shopping list was Tomytec Car Collection No. 6, Tomix buildings, Maruka The Construction Vehicle Collection series No.1 and Kato trees. I also got a Modemo tram to add to my existing collection. There now is a Enoshima Railway Type 1000 - NT55 to add to my Enoshima Railway Type 1000 - Modemo NT83. I have some pictures of the final result that you can have a look at. Remember the layout is only only 40" x 32" (101 cm x 81cm). It is definitely a busy little layout! Videos are currently being uploaded to YouTube.

post-71-13569923025067_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923025471_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923025864_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923026272_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923026644_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923027107_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923027549_thumb.jpg

post-71-13569923027988_thumb.jpg

I like when scenes tell a story and for me that is what the heavy construction scenes does. All I need now is to see the men holding cups of coffee. :grin

From the photos it surprising to see that it is a "little layout". Nice work.

Concept Model Trains

Thanks for the encouraging words Bernard.  I've uploaded some videos of layout.  Hopefully they will tell a story too :cheesy!

Concept Model Trains

The building on the right (with the vertical Japanese sign) was not hand painted.  It was bought like that.  I got it about 18 months ago.  I'm not sure but I think it was part of a Tomytec Collection.  It was in a train store and I bought it along with the two buildings that are next it.

SubwayHypes

love the videos, really make the layout spring to life.

you know what i would do?  i would put a 15 car e231 on one of those tracks lol, so that the front car will be very close to the end car and it will just go around in circles chasing its tail.

Concept Model Trains

I haven't got a 15 car 231 but I do have a 7 car 321.  Should be enough to cover half the track! :grin