James is not a really useful engine

wazzd

A Tomy James model from my mates exhibition layout is in need of repair. Can anyone give me a pointer towards a supplier parts or a replacement mechanism please?  He has been repaired once before but now he goes nowhere....although his face doesn't look too worried!

It's hard to get new parts, but for example the motor is replacable. Sometimes it's easier to just get an externally damaged one, with a good mechanism and swap the shells.

Barring serious impact or crush damage there isn't really much that can put a model beyond repair. I've even resurrected some Marklin oldies which had (judging by the state of the paint) sat in a damp attic for years. Just cleaned everything, straightened the bent couplers, reassembled, and it ran.

Agree with previous, we need to know what the symptoms are. Can you take the motor out and check that the wheels/gears revolve freely without it? Does it run if you put a couple of test leads between a 12v supply and the motor terminals (bypassing the wheels and pickups)?

If the motor is fried but you can get the loco to roll freely then you might be able to hide a Tomytec chassis under one of the coaches and propel him that way?