Kato RDC underframes - painted?

Welshbloke

I'm currently rescuing a New Haven RDC which suffered a bad weathering job (brown paint daubed on the bogies and underframe, the same done to the radiator pod on the roof with black).

Can anyone else who has an RDC tell me whether the truck frames and underframe are painted on yours? I've dunked the parts in oven cleaner to strip the paint off, and while I know some parts are supposed to be silver I'm not sure if the black bits should be painted or bare plastic?

Edited by Welshbloke

Thanks, that second one is exactly what I'm working on!

Trucks are done and reassembled, the roof pod, underframe and interior are being left to soak overnight to deal with stubborn paint.

Interestingly the box on mine just says "Budd RDC" on the ends, so I suspect it was split from a two car set.

Edited by Welshbloke

Already sorted it out. Need to find my can of silver spray paint for the roof pod but I've done the underframe with a brush, doesn't look too bad.

Slightly surprised nobody made resin shells for the Roger Williams, given that Kato were selling the motorised chassis, trucks, etc from the RDCs as spare parts when they were first released.

The poor thing hadn't been weathered so much as suffered a close encounter with pots of brown and black paint, it really did nothing for the look of the model. I don't think RDCs ever went off roading, but it looked like a 4x4 after a particularly interesting trail!