Where to buy a Tsurikawa grab ring (legally!) in Tokyo?

Welshbloke

Bit of a weird crossover this, but someone on a car forum I also frequent is visiting Tokyo soon and wants to buy a Tsurikawa (the strap/ring provided for standing passengers on commuter trains to hang onto). As others may know, there was a trend amongst Bosozoku and their car-driving equivalents to steal them from trains and attach them to the back of their cars as an anti-authority statement, it has now become part of the "JDM Style" modified car scene.

This person certainly doesn't want to steal one, but would like to get hold of the real thing legally (rather than one of the replicas now being sold, which don't look as good quality). Are there any shops in Tokyo dealing in railwayana?

Yup; the one I know of is Karamatsu, they have 3 shops in Tokyo (Shinjuku, Oimachi and Kanda/Akihabara).. Albeit no English website. They are good at listing new stock, look for the "入荷速報" link on each store page. Website is a bit clunky and the ringing sound you might hear is 1998 calling to demand its web design back ;).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does beat a 1500 pix wide window of scrolling pictures with 20 words of content delivered after scrolling a dozen folds!

Jeff

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Notepad was the only real editor for html back then if you were on Windows ;)

I had to optimize a site once that was made using dreamweaver, ended up just redoing the entire thing from scratch in notepad, saved me a lot of time. 

• Like 2

I used GWD Text Editor in my brief attempt at studying CompSci (during which I found out that I couldn't make head nor tail of Java or indeed make it do anything helpful, and therefore failed). I wasn't bad at HTML, databases or making networked computers talk to each other though.

If asked to produce HTML now I'd probably start with Dreamweaver and then open the files up as plaintext to tweak them afterwards. I'm no good at the sort of flash-laden stuff which causes your web browser to fall over, which is why I certainly couldn't work as a website designer as that's apparently what people want. Or at least what they've been convinced that they want...

Have passed the locations on, he's apparently staying in Shinjuku so hopefully will be able to find the shop.

Edited by Welshbloke

I used GWD Text Editor in my brief attempt at studying CompSci (during which I found out that I couldn't make head nor tail of Java or indeed make it do anything helpful, and therefore failed). I wasn't bad at HTML, databases or making networked computers talk to each other though.

If asked to produce HTML now I'd probably start with Dreamweaver and then open the files up as plaintext to tweak them afterwards. I'm no good at the sort of flash-laden stuff which causes your web browser to fall over, which is why I certainly couldn't work as a website designer as that's apparently what people want. Or at least what they've been convinced that they want...

Emacs and nothing else ;). Not that I do web-design per-se, but spent a lot of my working life doing web-based CRM apps. Flash is on the way out by the looks of things, multi-megabyte Javascript libraries are where it's at, evidently.

Have passed the locations on, he's apparently staying in Shinjuku so hopefully will be able to find the shop.

Here it is, on the 2nd floor (Japanese: 3rd floor)  of the building with the "Doutor" sign behind the truck:

https://goo.gl/maps/Lo4QLafvBXq

To get to the shop you have to go down the passage at the left of the building and up the stairs (there should be a lift too); the shop door looks more like an apartment door.