Kato Unitrack vs Tomix FineTrack

Atobit

Actually, I'm getting 6.1mm for Tomix and 7.0mm for Kato. On this scale, 1.0mm is quite a lot, so the pictures aren't so deceiving as they seem to appear.

Entirely possible my measurements are a bit off, but it does certainly look like the height difference is around 1mm, which is less than I would have guessed. The bulkier "ballast" shoulders on Unitrack make it look bigger, I suppose.

serotta1972

I wanted to see for myself what the fuss was all about so I got a Tomix Basic Set SD Series 225, I figured I can't go wrong because I'm getting a train I want and also another power pack.  I am quite impressed and really like how the Tomix Fine Track looks.  I don't think I will be replacing my Kato Unitracks anytime soon but might get more pieces to make the oval much much bigger.

post-2776-0-57478000-1470287306_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-17942600-1470287314_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-30384500-1470287321_thumb.jpg

I just happened to have the right radius Unitrack to make a double track and recently got a Tomix 313-5000 and a Kato 313-1700 so I had a little fun running them side by side.  Just in case you're wondering, the Tomix is on the Fine Track and the Kato is on the Unitrack.  

• Like 1

Hello,

I use Tomix.  The Kato track still looks so high to me.

Kato make a track joiner which will allow you to use your Tomix track on you Kato layout.

Have fun !!!

I believe the traditional logic is that Kato is somewhat more rugged, and therefore more suited to temporary floor layouts.

Tomix is more realistic, so appropriate for anything more permanent and/or less prone to abuse.

It may also be a question of which manufacturer offers additional features in their overall system which appeal to you - CL and TCS on the Tomix side, sound on Kato's, etc.

Hello Mr Charles,

Your assessment is generally correct, although I've never broken the joiners on any of my Tomix track, to me the Kato ones look more robust.  One other interesting difference is the modular length of straight sections: Kato = 248mm while Tomix = 280mm.  Tomix station platforms are also 280mm /140mm modules which seems to equal the scale model car length.  Ie: 4 x Tomix platforms will just fit an 8 car consist.

The Tomix track system is not just more versatile with more turnout and track types, but has a more simple logic, so base length is 140 mm, base radiuses are 280 mm for normal and 140 mm for trams. Turnouts are also 70, 140 and 280 mm long and don't need cut pieces unlike Kato unitrack. There are more small pieces so there is rarely a need to cut track to size. (Kato has less valid geometry from set pieces but has flextrack instead.)

The downside is that Tomix finetrack is better for fixed layouts as it's more sensitive due to being more delicate. (smaller trackbed and thinner rails and more prototypical, but non step resistant turnouts, unlike Kato that could be used on the floor)

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts
1 hour ago, Kanpai Keith said:

So in conclusion which system is better 🤪

old threads never die!

It's partially personal preference and partially depends on what you want to do with the track.

If you want a (semi) static layout where you can place it on a table and don't have to take it down all the time, Tomix might be a better option due to the flexibility. If you're doing a lot of setting up (on the floor) and tearing down, Kato is probably a better option.

• Like 1
Kanpai Keith

Ha ha, I’ve got an order of Tomix pretty much sorted from Rokko, but I’ve not heard from them for a while. 

Kato is available at a number of U.K. outlets at a reasonable price.

whilst Tomix offers a better system overall I don’t like the power feed slots in every piece.  Having to import every time from Japan is going to be a PITA plus add on 20% tax and a minimum of £8 Royal Mail fees......on every consignment.

Kato’s replaceable  clip system will probably work better for my modular layout that I’m planning.

Kato and Tomix equally demand decent prices on evilbay for used track, so I’ll not lose much either way.  TBH I’ll probably end up mix and matching.

FWIW I started out with Kato but switched to Tomix because of the wider variety of pointwork and various other pieces. Mind you it helps I live in Japan and can get hold of it very easily.

• Like 1
Kanpai Keith
57 minutes ago, railsquid said:

FWIW I started out with Kato but switched to Tomix because of the wider variety of pointwork and various other pieces. Mind you it helps I live in Japan and can get hold of it very easily.

I’ll give you my address 🤣🤣🤣

Martijn Meerts

I started out with Tomix and switched to Peco and hand laid track. I still have all the Tomix stuff gathering dust...

Kanpai Keith
1 hour ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I started out with Tomix and switched to Peco and hand laid track. I still have all the Tomix stuff gathering dust...

Fancy selling some/all?

Martijn Meerts

The problem is shipping, it's quite a lot all together, and it'd be a massive box. It also includes things like platforms and the raised station and things like that. If I do want to get rid of it (which there's a pretty good chance), I'd prefer to get rid of it all in 1 go really.

Martijn Meerts

Depends.. A lot of the track I bought to build a layout for my father to run his trains on while I was working on my own project. When he couldn't get up the stairs anymore to where the layout was, he always said he'd rather give the track away for free to someone who's just getting started / has no track yet, rather than sell it. So I'd definitely not be looking at getting a large amount of money for it.

I'll see about sorting it all out and see exactly what I have once the temperatures go down and settle a bit. A lot of the track also still has wires soldered to it, since the layout was fully computer controlled. Could always split it up a bit so both of you who've shown interest have enough track to make a nice start on a layout.

• Like 4
Kanpai Keith

Thank you @Martijn Meerts

happily share toys 😊, as I have zero N gauge track I’d just like a decent oval or double oval and some sidings for some basic parking and shunting operations, station rural type would nice too.

My 165 has just arrived, I might have to cut down some OO track to run it on 🤣

Edited by Kanpai Keith