My first micro-layout

valkyriepm

Thanx for the comments guys!

About that, as this belong to the yard area, it's suposed to be abandoned also. I didn't move it pass the point becouse I was afraid it would be confused also with the main line. Maybe move it as you suggest it but on the other side of the track would be OK? And about signs, I've seen lots of pictures on the sides of the rail in station areas but don't know the meaning (like numbers, or rhomboid shapes)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Placing the signal on the right side of the track could be possible but it would look quite unusual as the signal arm could be hit by the rollingstock or any object hanging from the rollingstock. Some ideas that came to my mind are:

• Option 1: leaving the signal there as it is out of use.
  • Option 2: Moving it some centimeters into to that siding as the signal is/was) for that particular siding only. So the other siding was an unsignalled siding or perhaps the signal of that siding was removed during the decommissioning of the yard. In the picture, the yellow cross indicates a possible location for the signal).

Regardless the option, it would look interesting placing a sign on the signal to indicate that is out of use. I know that in the UK practice a small white cross is attached to the out-of-use signals. See the following picture:

I tried to find an example of an out-of-use mechanical signal and I only found this link about Indian Railways (which originally followed the UK practice).

http://www.irfca.org/faq/faq-signal.html (see the question. What do the rings, bars, etc. found on some signals mean?)

You mention adding signalling to your layout, my first idea was to add some signals as the picture below:

So, there would be two home signals and two starting signals (bidirectional).

Also, these could be electrical signals

This later option would be interesting as your layout would have both electrical signals and a mechanical signal (a decommissioned one).

The signals could be controlled with simple switches so later you could add some extra features if you feel like doing it.

Perhaps you could see which type of signal fits and looks better with your layout.

About the track signs, I am not familiar with Japanese signs yet but I would say that these provide information such as gradients, speed limits and stopping points. In a line with low traffic, we will probably find few signs.

Some links with pictures:

Signals (working and non working ones) and signs bring a little of magic to a layout in my opinion.

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. I didn't mention it early but your layout has great details, it is very impressive.

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 1

I would like to add that using a single exit signal for multiple tracks was acceptable for freight yards and small stations. The X for decomissioned signals is also used in continental Europe, with various combinations of black and white paint. I can't find info on the Japanese way though.

Thank you guys! That's really helpful info!

Nxcale, thank you for taking the time to investigate. I'll be moving the semaphore to the place you suggested. About the in-out signaling of the station, I was considering if really doing it or not. Checking the Station World site, I saw that the small stations have no semaphores at all, so I'm currently deliberating if adding some or none. Maybe just one on each end? Anyway, they'll be just static, as I added no more electrical circuit, that the one needed to move the train. On the trackside ground signaling, surely add some ;)

Thank you for the kudos on the detail, being such a small layout let me play with it a lot (In fact Jeff did a very nice explanation about detail vs layout size some weeks ago on other topic). I've been buying some Tomix track for a little bigger layout in the future, but I'm not sure I could be able to add that much detail on that one.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Not a problem, I like checking those topics and thank you for the link.

Just to summarise the options for the mechanical signal:

• Option 1: leaving the signal there as it is out of use.
  • Option 2: moving it some centimeters into to that siding.
  • Option 3: moving away from the toes of the points (i.e. close to the working line) as mentioned before and by KVP. If the out-of-use sign is placed on the semaphore signal should not be any problem.

Due to cost vs. benefit, I understand small lines usually do not have signals (signals and signalling equipment require maintenance). So, no having signal is also fine. I would try with one or two signals to see how the layout looks.

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. I am aware that another way to show an out-of-use signal is placing a black cover over it so the signal is totally covered. At the moment, I do not have a picture of one but it will try to find one. For our layout signals, I think there will be no point to place a black cover on a decommissioned signal because the signal could not be seen at all... 

Edited by nxcale

Thank you for that info and for taking the time Nxcale! I moved the signal further into the siding as it had a little accident. One day working on the layout, left for 10 minutes and when I got back one of my cats was placently sleeping over it. Crushed the semaphore but luckily was just that and some tall grass. The motor grader was covered for the hair but without harm  :glasses2:. Anyway, left it untouched a couple of days until I regain the courage to repair and continue. I'm currently working on the corner next to the station making some scratch buildings, as the space is not enough for complete ones. Pics soon I hope. ;P

Martin

Catzilla! Cats will sleep on the most uncomfortable things if it's something important! The cat that lived at the film studio I use to work at use to love to lie down on the spread out, disassembled bits of the big underwater camera as we would dry it all for a day after use. Finally has to resort to hanging a big piece of fish netting over it to stop him. He would sit next to it and yowl! Don't know what the attraction was but us having to spend an hour with the air gun and brushes clearing cat hair for Everything!

Jeff

Tip: buy an expensive cat toy. Discard the toy, and place the cardboard box it came in near the layout. Hopefully the attraction of the box will outweigh the temptation of the layout.

That's why it needs to be an *expensive* toy. Any cat worthy of the name will instantly detect whether you're trying to be a cheapskate.

That's a nice tip! Surely a couple of boxes will be around next time, hehehehe

Martin

Thank you for that info and for taking the time Nxcale! I moved the signal further into the siding as it had a little accident. One day working on the layout, left for 10 minutes and when I got back one of my cats was placently sleeping over it. Crushed the semaphore but luckily was just that and some tall grass. The motor grader was covered for the hair but without harm  :glasses2:. Anyway, left it untouched a couple of days until I regain the courage to repair and continue. I'm currently working on the corner next to the station making some scratch buildings, as the space is not enough for complete ones. Pics soon I hope. ;P

Martin

Not a problem Martin.

Better to watch out your cats the next time and looking forward to seeing new pictures.

Cheers,

Nxcale

Hi guys! Update at last! Spent some time researching thrugh Street View (wonderful tool!) And took some ideas to the buildings next to the station. As space was small,  only the front part of the buildings was done and a small trackside street.

These are a small house and an apartment rental building.

post-832-0-34720500-1469817715_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-73711500-1469817724_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-12184800-1469817749_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-02259400-1469817804_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-45908300-1469817813_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-61579300-1469817828_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-46346200-1469817838_thumb.jpg

And then some plants for various areas:

post-832-0-65614200-1469817851_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-05731700-1469818269_thumb.jpg

And final pics:

post-832-0-90057600-1469818059_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-59972800-1469818078_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-68944400-1469818174_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-06189800-1469818191_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-12346000-1469818229_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-38981800-1469818290_thumb.jpg

Lots of scratch, but getting there!

Well, hope you guys like it!

Martin

Edited by valkyriepm
  • Like 15

Martin kudos again! Wonderful scratch building! You make me want to get off my butt and get some scratch building done! You have a very good talent there for scratch building!

Cheers

Jeff

Oh wow, n scale pots and plants?! Please tell me you have a shrink-ray. If not, how on earth did you model them so nicely?

Toni has 3D printed flower pots for sale! You can also make them by putting a toothpick or small dowel but in your roto tool and then using it as a lathe and an xacto tip and small file as chisels to turn them. I made a number of them like this down to like 9" dia scale pots really fast and easy, can even turn in a saucer under it. Even just bits of cut off round stock or a tiny tube bead can make a nice pot.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments, as always :) I didn´t knew about Tony's 3D printed pots! I made those with stretched sprue different diameters and the big one withe a 2 or 3mm sprue sanded down to the base. Plants are a real mix of anything I could find that looked correct ;)

About the small street, I saw on various pictures some road markings but I'm not sure if these street should have one. What you think? I'll put a mirror on the corner and a speed limit on a side also.

Martin

what building kits are you using?

Some buildings are Tomytec, the bus station is the paper kit from the Economy kit of Greenmax 803, but added volume. The station is based on one from Tomytec and the front of shops are from the Greenmax shop set. Rest is scratch built.

Martin

Hello guys! Thank you for the comments! Quick update, finished the bus garage:

post-832-0-80483000-1470659367_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-52962900-1470659373_thumb.jpgpost-832-0-30662500-1470659382_thumb.jpg

Only detail to add is a small bycicle parking.

On the other hand, i have the empty corner crossing the little river and no idea what to do there. If I follow the Niigata Kotsu idea, should make more city or maybe some houses and many trees. If I go for a fictional layout, could make a little tunnel with mountain and maybe a little temple, don't know yet. But is the last thing to do before starting with the catenary and electric poles. As I plan to make all the wires and the catenary cables..... oh gosh..... Any link to how-to catenary wires?

Martin

• Like 7

Thank you so much Nxcale! That's really cool. Some time ago I bought the greenmax footbridge and on the back have many rail signals to use:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10238622a2/20/2

Hope to have an update on the layout soon. Finally defined the corner that had blank, so after that will be all detail work ;)

Martin