Your Local Trains

Claude_Dreyfus

Davo Dentetsu

Well, it used to be these, as located at Inverness and Elgin (my local haunt) respectively:

2620.jpg158722%20Elgin%20061004g-M.jpg

But now it is a case of seeing these bloody things everywhere in Perth...

tr4848.jpgtransperth457.jpg

• Like 3

Here some of the trains I used to take

Taf, one of the worst engineered train ever

post-2159-0-08377100-1437394427_thumb.jpg

Tsr = Taf project reviewed and corrected

post-2159-0-03847300-1437394444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melandir
  • Like 1
trainsforever8

Hey guys! As for me, I live in Montréal in Canada, our "local" trains are currently operated by the AMT (Agence Métropolitaine de Transports) that might soon be abolished to be replaced by a new operator. 

The most common rolling stock on our network are the 3000 series multilevel cars built by Bombardier. Here, you can see them being pulled by an ALP-45DP which is a dual mode locomotive that can go from electric to diesel. 

Another type of train that is operated in Montréal is the MR-90 which is my favourite type of train for many reasons, it was the first train that I've taken (appart from the métro), the sound of the propulsion and simply because it's an EMU. : 

The Deux-Montagnes line on which the MR-90's run is actually the first and only electrified railway line in Canada if you don't count trams and subways.

As for the metro, we have 2 types of rolling stock currently in service. We have the MR-63 which have been in operation since the opening of the network in 1966 :

And of course, our dear MR-73, they are famous for the sound that the current chopper does during the acceleration : 

Speaking of the current chopper, before the acquisition of the MR-73, 2 type of current choppers were tested on 2 types of MR-63, the one that is currently used for the MR-73 which we call Jeumont and the other one which was actually made by Hitachi. Once the Jeumont won, the Hitachi current chopper was removed from the MR-63, so we unfortunately don't quite know what it sounds like with it but thankfully, we still have 2 MR-63's with the Jeumont current chopper : 

As you can see, this one is pretty loud, it makes the ride pleasant because it make the floor of the train vibrate when it rings, I like that haha. 

The STM (Société de Transports de Montréal) which currently operates the Montréal Métro has ordered new train sets called MPM-10. Trough a contest with the public, we decided to name them "Azur" to represent the iconic blue color of our trains. The MPM-10's were supposed to enter in service in March 2014 but there were multiple delays, they are thought to enter in service by the end of this year or beginning 2016. 

Here, you can see the first train set being assembled : 

The interior of the train is also very nice in my opinion!

What do you think?

Edited by trainsforever8
  • Like 2
SuRoNeFu 25-501

A toei 6000 that has come out of the closet?

Actually, it is the former Toei 6000 series intermediate motor car that being rebuilt as driving car (known by Japanese as "先頭車化改造車" (literally means "driving car modification units") by PT. Kereta Api Indonesia (the national railway operator of Indonesia), back in the early 2000s period.

The intermediate motor cars that currently serving as modified driving cars were firstly mixed into other Toei 6000 series trainsets, to form 8-car formations. However, due to need for expanding the coverage of air-conditioned commuter train services on other lines, some trainsets were reverted back to 6-car formations (which 6121F, 6161F and 6171F were not reverted). But, this attempt was temporarily halted by unavailability of driving cars for some surplus intermediate cars (as many of them were taken from trainsets that are now operating at Chichibu Railway, Kumamoto Electric Railway, or those that scrapped by Toei Subway). This resulted in the creation of those unique driving cars, which (as far as I remembered) the modifications were done by PT Kereta Api Indonesia's Manggarai Workshops. After the modification work was completed, these cars were connected to other surplus cars, which resulted in the birth of new trainsets:

1. 6277F - also known as "Lohan" (due to the cab design resembling the head part of a fish)

2. 6177F - also known as "Espass" (perhaps resembling the then-popular Daihatsu Espass cars at the time of rebuilding)

3. 6217F - also known as "Rakitan" (this nickname was coined by my colleague)

Well, I'm sorry if there are mistakes or lack of additional informations ( ^_^)v

• Like 4

But now it is a case of seeing these bloody things everywhere in Perth...

tr4848.jpgtransperth457.jpg

Well you have saved me the trouble of posting pictures of my local trains lol. Good to see another West Aussie on here.

I used to drive these units back a few years ago. Now I am driving the Big Boys up in the Pilbara.

• Like 2

Wow you guys have interesting local trains... The only trains we get here are:

300px-SMRT_Trains102.jpg

Boring same coloured 6-car consist train that still look ok... if they are running that is...

A new tram for the old lines:

post-1969-0-31253400-1440192564_thumb.jpg

(this is the shorter version, the longer ones will be twice as long)

And old trains on a new line:

post-1969-0-09652700-1440194695_thumb.jpg

(the desiros are a temporary fix until electrification is completed)

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

My local company used to be Trenitalia until 2009, now the regional trains are operated by Trenord, Trenitalia still operates the "Regionali Veloci"- ( rapid regional ) and intercity services.

This is the fleet:

Locomotives

Trenord has only a class of electric locomotives: the E464 wich is by far the most common electric locomotive in Italy.

DSC_0899.JPG

Strong points:

-The most common Italian locomotive.

-It makes a distinctive sound when departing.

-Quite good design

Weak points:

-It's monotonous to see the same loco over and over again. 

Overall rating: 3.5/5

"A good locomotive, not ugly nor beatiful. Someting that if you stay in Italy youll' be used to; they're iconic and i quite like them."

EMUs

"TAF" (treno ad alta frequentazione - trains for high frequences")

20165819123_treni.jpg

Strong Points:

-Nice audible GTO-VVVF sound.

Weak points:

-Highly uncomfortable seats
-Breaks down too often
-The air condition barely works (and if it works it's not enough) and the windows are fixed or as big as a stamp.
-There is absolutely NO space for baggages (or even feets).

Overall Rating:  1/5

"This is the worst train i ever used. I regret i rode on them. Atleast the sound was good."

- "TSR" (treno per servizio regionale - train for regional services)

Treno_TSR_livrea_Trenord.JPG

Strong Points:

-Better seats than the TAF - but far from really comfortable.
-Reliable (maybe)
-There may be space for feets and baggages.
-Windows are still fixed but the air conditioning now finally WORKS! (if it's not broken)
-You can "Zemen Tennobu" because the cab door has a transparent window!

Weak Points:

-The disc brakes are TOO LOUD! That's why i call it the "TSkreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek"
-Unsuitable for suburban and urban services due to their extremely low accelleration.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

"When Trenord really found out what the TAF really is, they rushed to put in service this. An improvement. Far from perfect. Atleast it's something"

ALe 582

normal_Trenord_ALe582_018_Milano_rogored

Strong Points:

-They have the most comfortable seats i ever tried on a train!
-They have no air conditioning, but you can always open the windows!
-They make a distinctive 3-note sound when departing (dou-dou-doooooooou), thanks to their GTO current Chopper.
-Perfect for evrything, from express trains (in Trentino region for a few time in the 1980s), regional or even urban railways (Naples' ALe 724s, practically identical are used in such services) but the service they're best suited for is the rural local train.

Weak Points:

NONE

Overall rating: 5/5

"This is by far the BEST EMU in active service in Italy. A personal favourite."

ETR425 "Coradia"

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the lastest EMU built for Trenord. I never ride them so i can't tell. But they look fairly good.

Coaches:

"Piano Ribassato" (Low floor)

trenord-edit.jpg

A small note about the name:
these cars were built in 1969 to replace the obsolete Pre-war era "Centoporte" coaches. They were low floor to mach the platform of many local station in Italy wich were (and are) a bit low. Trenord uses only the "Revampizzata" (Modernised) version of these coaches. The non revampized were took out of service by 2014-2015. The Strong and Weak points refers only to the modernized variants. The older ones were much better.

Strong Points:

NONE

Weak points:

-Same (uncomfortable) seats of the TAF

-Same air-conditioning problems of the TAF

-Same personal space problem of the TAF

-Above 60/70 Km/h the doors start making an annoyng "Tic-Tic-Tic-Tic-Tic-Tic-Tic" sound wich looks like the door is about to fall apart.

Overall Rating: 0/5

"In some cases "Modernising" something doesn't actually means "improve it". The "Piano Ribassato" are the proof."

-MDVC (Medie Distanze a Vestiboli paraCentrali - coaches for medium distances with semi-central doors)

Trenord_nB_50_83_21-86_519-0_Milano_Rogo

Strong Points:

-Awersome door chime.

-Very comfortable seats.

-No air condition, but you can always open the windows.

Weak points:

NONE

Overall Rating: 5/5

"The best coach in the Trenord fleet. Another personal favourite:"

-"Vivalto"

9312_35.jpg

Strong Points:

-Air condition (if works)

-Evry car has an internal display showing the actual speed of the train, if the toilet is free or engaged etc....

Weak points:

-The windows are a bit small.

-They break down often.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

"They are good coaches but they could have been better. MUCH better. but at this point they're just an average double decker. Far from the casaraltas"

-"Casaralta"

Trenord_nB_50_83_26-39_877-5_Milano_Lamb

Strong Points:

-Huuuuge sofa-style seats. During the rush hour often 3 people squeeze in a seat designed for 2 perople.

-Nice large doors (almost 2 times larger than average)

-There is no air conditioning, but you can always open the windows!

Weak points:

If you sit in the lower level youll' feel like you're ground-level, while if you seat in the upper level youll' feel like you're on the top of the Empire State Building.

Overall rating: 4.5/5

"Very good coaches. They might not be the lastest tecnology but they do their job very well. Probably the best suburban coach so far (at least here)"

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 4

ETR425 "Coradia"

This is the lastest EMU built for Trenord. I never ride them so i can't tell. But they look fairly good.

I think i've been on this one from Tirano to Milan. It was a fairly standard sub/interurban emu very much like a flirt. Seats are ok, view is ok, especially from the higher seats above the bogies. I couldn't open the windows though. The shell is a bit thin, as i could visually see the pressure waves while entering old narrow tunnels at speed. It accelerates nicely, even on a mountain line.

Actually, does anybody know why Italian rail tracks are painted white?

It's not white, more like silver. Afaik it's the same anti corrosion paint that is used in Japan, except the japanese variant has a reddish brown color that looks like natural rust. Silver shows dirt much faster but once washed, it can be used to discover cracks. For the same reason, white or red paint was used on driving wheels in the past.

ps: i think silver rail looks nice on the prototype, it makes unpainted nickel silver rails kind of prototypical

Here in Calgary, Calgary Transit has just introduced the new Siemens S200 trains which are being added to the Light Rail Transit fleet.

Here's a video from Seimens. The one chosen by the city is the "Mask" version. The first four of 63 new cars were run this week. The rest will be added as they are ready.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 1

The oldest suburban train in regular service in Budapest had it's birthday on august 19. The MIX/A series was introduced in 1962 and 7 sets still run on the Csepel (H7) line in single 3 car and double 6 car formations. These old trains built in the repair shops of the transit company will have to keep running for another 10 years when the line is planned to be converted into a low floor tram-train line and the other lines will be upgraded from the old DC HEV (Helyi Erdeku Vasut = Local Interest Railway, aka. 3rd sector) to AC mainline (s-bahn) level and merged into the national rail network.

A short film with archive and modern footage:

http://index.indavideo.hu/video/retro_hev_50_eves_bkk_bkv

(the video also has a brief demonstration of the old failsafe electro-pneumatic system)

more info:

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/BHÉV_MIX/A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ffoVdUh3s

• Like 1

Here are the trains in my area:

Sacramento Regional Transit Light Rail:

Amtrak California Capitol Corridor train:

Amtrak California Zephyr:

A little update on my local trains with two new types:

What happens when you mix the best EMU with the best commuter coaches?

EA 750 is the answer!

ea-750-19-fm.jpg

The EA 750 is an italian EMU manufactured by the G.A.I. consortium for Ferrovie Nord Milano between 1982 and 1993.

There are 3 different series of EA 750 each based on a different G.A.I. EMU for FS (state railways):

The first (12 units built in 1982) and the second series (6 units built in 1982) is based on the ALe 724, wich has a squared front design while

the third series (6 units built in 1993) is based, instead, on the ALe 582 and ALe 642, but unlike FS (later Trenitalia) FNM only ordered the driving-motor units, because there was plenty of EB850 and EB950 cars (the equivalent of FS "Casaralta" and SNCF "VB2N" coaches).

since they aren't equipped with the SCMT saftey system they only run on FNM original network (from Cadorna Station to Saronno, Seregno, Canzo-Asso and Novara)

They are very interesting for many reasons:

1) Some keep the original FNM colors (light green and blue) while 3 units have been repainted with Trenord's dark green and gray colors.

2) Only some units of the third series are running (so less than 6 trains), the second and the first have been retired. Some units can be seen outside Novate Milanese depot from the S1 line.

3) When departing they make a distinctive 3-note sound when departing due to it's GTO current chopper.

4) The combination between a double decker coach and a single-deck EMU is itself rare.

With the TSR and Coradias being phased in, the EA 750 are being retired, it's only a matter of time before they will disappear completely.

So ride them now or never!

Update:

The last three EA750 series were retired with the timetable change of winter 2016.

Thank You EA750!

This cab car is known as "ghost", why? Because it shouldn't exist!

normal_FS_npBD_50_83_82-38_011-3_Milano_

The "Gallinari" (from the name of the designer) or "Farini" (from the name of Milano Farini depot, wich these units were assigned to) are the last surviving original "Piano Ribassato" coaches in operation.

Story goes that Trenord in 2014 retired all the original 1965 Piano Ribassato coaches, but they later discovered that for some reason (too many E464s, delays in the delivery of TSR and Coradias) they had a cab-car shortage.

Is that important? Yes, of course! In italy 99% of the passenger locomotives are single-cabbed (the E464 has as today some 700 units, with more being delivered!) and the EMUs aren't very common (the ALe 582, the only EMU suitable for regional services has only 90 units nationwide), so since 1960 the backbone of italian regional (and many commuter) trains is the Push-Pull formation.

Trenord then urged to re-put in service a few cab coaches as an interim mesaure; this didn't solve the problem, in fact is still common to see a symmetrical composition with two E464 at both ends.

The service of these coaches is very irregular, so consider yourself lucky even if you only spot one!

Update:

The last Gallinari coaches have been retired with the timetable change of winter 2018.

Thank you!

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 2

And I got some news from Berlin.

The first static test model of the next generation S-Bahn DB series 483/484 EMU has been unveiled last month, to give people a chance to evaluate and help improve the interior design and features.

These trains will be manufactured by Stadler Pankow and Siemens. The first pre-production sets are expected to enter service in 2020. These EMUs will feature a complete propulsion system in every car so the train can keep running even when one car's system fails. This is a first for S-Bahn Berlin EMUs.

post-3895-0-15885200-1477688437_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-27481600-1477688910_thumb.jpg

I think the traditional colours go very well with the modern design.

More photos

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

From the Via Rail Canada Quebec-Windsor corridor.

Combined trains 60 and 50 arriving at Belleville, 15 September 2016. One of 14 trains daily to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

post-75-0-48314200-1477695843_thumb.jpg

Inside LRC coach, 15 September 2016.

post-75-0-29505100-1477695908_thumb.jpg