JR West Berumonta - another KIHA40 joyful train

miyakoji

Another KIHA40-based (KIHA40 2027) excursion train has emerged from JR West's Matto shop.  Called the Belles Montagnes et Mer (Berumonta in Japanese), it will run on the Johana and Himi Lines.  Great livery on this one...

http://railf.jp/news/2015/09/11/153000.html

http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2015/09/jr_2024.html

No suitable YouTube material yet, there must be a lack of railfans up in Hokuriku.

OH dear.  Another reason to visit Toyama.  Although the Johana Line goes nowhere right?  Always thought the Mimi Line would be nice in summer.

Edited by katoftw
SuRoNeFu 25-501

It seems that Kanazawa General Rolling Stock Plant (the current name of Matto Workshops) is successfully creating another beautiful (and luxurious) Joyful Train again.

When I saw the photo, however, the livery reminds me with JR Kyushu's Hayato no Kaze fleet (which is another member of KiHa 40 family), as the livery is dominated by black...

Given the large size of Japan's senior population and the fact that there are plenty of older trains available for Joyful Train conversions, don't be surprised we see a lot more of them over the next several years.

(By the way, I think JR West should seriously consider rebuilding a bunch of 475 Series EMU's so they could run Joyful Train service between Tsuruga and Naoetsu.)

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Given the large size of Japan's senior population and the fact that there are plenty of older trains available for Joyful Train conversions, don't be surprised we see a lot more of them over the next several years.

(By the way, I think JR West should seriously consider rebuilding a bunch of 475 Series EMU's so they could run Joyful Train service between Tsuruga and Naoetsu.)

But it is likely that none of Kanazawa Depot's 475 series EMUs would receive modifications to become Joyful Train, as those trains has been already reaching 50 years in service, since hese trains were firstly produced in 1965 as part of JNR's electrification extensions on Tohoku Line (up to Morioka) and Kagoshima Line (up to Kumamoto). So it would be something impossible to be done by JR West...

But it is likely that none of Kanazawa Depot's 475 series EMUs would receive modifications to become Joyful Train, as those trains has been already reaching 50 years in service, since hese trains were firstly produced in 1965 as part of JNR's electrification extensions on Tohoku Line (up to Morioka) and Kagoshima Line (up to Kumamoto). So it would be something impossible to be done by JR West...

I think it could be done, since they're only going to be run a few times per week, not multiple times per day in commuter service. As such, a rebuild program so they could be used in Joyful Train service might be worthwhile.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

I think it could be done, since they're only going to be run a few times per week, not multiple times per day in commuter service. As such, a rebuild program so they could be used in Joyful Train service might be worthwhile.

Maybe, though the company will choose the ones that having the best condition to be rebuilt as Joyful Train fleet (and it usually considers the age of body, traction components, bogies, etc).

Maybe, though the company will choose the ones that having the best condition to be rebuilt as Joyful Train fleet (and it usually considers the age of body, traction components, bogies, etc).

Well, that could be an issue considering many of the components on the 475 EMU's are very old. They could run KiHa 40/47/48's, but I'm not sure if they want to run an older DMU through the long tunnels between Itoigawa and Naoetsu Stations.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Well, that could be an issue considering many of the components on the 475 EMU's are very old. They could run KiHa 40/47/48's, but I'm not sure if they want to run an older DMU through the long tunnels between Itoigawa and Naoetsu Stations.

They already know that doing this would be considered as "attempting to repeat Hokuriku Tunnel accident"...

JR West does not have a line between those 2 stations/locations.

http://www.echigo-tokimeki.co.jp/

http://ainokaze.co.jp/

Not only Ainokaze and Echigo Tokimeki, but also IR Ishikawa (though the longest section that handed over to 3rd sector is the ones that currently operated by Ainokaze)

Considering that kiha 40-s were manufactured up to the end of the JNR, what types of long distance emu-s were in production around 1987? They could be the ideal choice for a new joyful emu.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Considering that kiha 40-s were manufactured up to the end of the JNR, what types of long distance emu-s were in production around 1987? They could be the ideal choice for a new joyful emu.

Well, limited express EMUs that produced during the 1980s (including year 1987, when JNR was split and reformed as JR Group) is the 185 series (but actually it was entering production in 1981)...