Help: Danish Exhibition

domino

ok Guy`s

I was thinking, maybe it is best to show as many Japanese trains as possible, keep in mind this is first time ever a Japanese layout is on display in Denmark, on the layout in the attached photo i can run 8 trains at the same time plus 5 trains on side track for show of, ofcourse this leave not much room for building and road system,there will be some building but not all , what do you think, let me hear your thoughts ???

Regards

brian

domino

domino all I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, thats a lot of Kato track. Thats cool because I like Kato Unitrack as much as you do. Im very impressed by your layout and how its been designed. You must post video of trains running on your layout. You have more than enough space to run and store trains for sure.

It went very well, he was very exited about my layout, he has never seen anything like it and is very exited to see how the Danish spectators`would react when they see it, as am i  :grin

So all in all i loooks good.

Brian

How did your meeting go with the Exhibition coordinator?

Hey all.

I want to thanks you all for helping me get ready to my first exhibition here in Denmark, i know that i have not commented on all quots posted here, but i have read ALL more than once, and found many useful infomation so please keep them coming.

The Exhibition coordinator is stopping by my house tommorrow for first hand look at my layout, just to see what they can expect at the show, and is very interrested in what a Japanese layout look like  :grin

Thanks again guy`s, keep posting comments.

Brian

domino

Thanks for the nice words.

Will post video later today.

Brian

domino

ok Guy`s

I was thinking, maybe it is best to show as many Japanese trains as possible, keep in mind this is first time ever a Japanese layout is on display in Denmark, on the layout in the attached photo i can run 8 trains at the same time plus 5 trains on side track for show of, ofcourse this leave not much room for building and road system,there will be some building but not all , what do you think, let me hear your thoughts ???

Regards

brian

domino

domino all I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, thats a lot of Kato track. Thats cool because I like Kato Unitrack as much as you do. Im very impressed by your layout and how its been designed. You must post video of trains running on your layout. You have more than enough space to run and store trains for sure.

(again im a fan of not making one thing scream too loudly or it overwhelms the other elements of your exhibit and also if elements start screaming too much you get into a shouting match in your exhibit and overwhelm your audience easily)

That noise you hear in the background is Jeff's espresso machine.  :grin

LOL funny you should say that as this morning the grinder was empty! luckily i found a pound of beans in the cabinet a client sent me! time to do a big bean run! almost a disaster! 5 years of going to grad school in berkeley made my taste buds think starbucks is weak foldgers... An office manager tried to get me fired for using a whole pot pack of restaurant coffee to make a single cup to get something that would come close to tasting like real coffee.

also funny since i had a chat with two other exhibit designers this weekend about shouting exhibits. we were all wondering why the museums cant realize they are digging their own grave by trying to heap more and louder on folks then are surprised there is declining attendance and those attending are walking away with fewer messages and details (big complaint in the museum world). the thought is shout louder and they will hear, but human nature is the opposite. talk calmly and evenly and folks will listen.

jeff

It went very well, he was very exited about my layout, he has never seen anything like it and is very exited to see how the Danish spectators`would react when they see it, as am i  :grin

So all in all i loooks good.

Brian

Brian,

thats good to hear. the important thing is to have fun too, your audience will tell if you are enjoying what you are doing and it goes a long way to their impression! do take the time to observe the spectators, its the best feed back you can get and their reactions will tell you so much! also its cool to treat this as an experiment and then keep changing as time goes on. thats the cool thing about the build on the fly type exhibits like yours, you can keep changing it to try new things and see what the audience responds best to, as well as keep the display fresh and new. enjoy!

cheers,

jeff

Mudkip Orange

Like the layout, REALLY like your buildings (although you need to get some different colored paper/paint to differentiate the streets, lawns, etc)..

One question, after looking through your photos: METROLINK goes to Japan now? Really?

Like the layout, REALLY like your buildings (although you need to get some different colored paper/paint to differentiate the streets, lawns, etc)..

One question, after looking through your photos: METROLINK goes to Japan now? Really?

:laugh:

No the Metrolink does not go to Japan (as far as i know), i just like the train set, so just to see it run i had to put on my Japanese layout along side with the rest, i hope that you dont mind to much :violent1:

Brian

domino

alpineaustralia

I would gather all of the buildings in one area rather than scatter them. I noticed two building at the end of the layout sitting beyond the "Petronas Towers" by themselves. I would bring them in and instead push the oil tanks out to the edge to create a separate city, industrial area and country area.

?? How do i post video here ??

brian

probably the easiest way is to make yourself a youtube account and upload them there. then when you put the reference link (the one listed on the video page itself) in your message here, the forum automatically imbeds the video on the page here (or someone can click on it and it opens up the youtube page for it). youtube is probably the easiest way to get video files from your camera up onto the web w/o hassling with much else.

only drawback is (like most social sites now) they do now have rights to do what ever they want to with your content! they can sell it re-edit, whatever. while not much of a concern with video of our trains running around, it is a concern if you have any content you want to keep full rights control on or have included stock footage you have acquired rights to (this is means you dont usually have the rights to give other rights to that stock footage).

cheers,

jeff

Mudkip Orange

i hope that you dont mind to much :violent1:

Not at all. I WISH the METROLINK went to Japan - I'd go there more often!

Yeah, I got nervous about leaving my Pro-Z overnight at Rockville last year for that same exact reason. I'm hoping I have money come in so that I can place the expansion sets for this years show, though I'm really disappointed in the expansion sets.

I would gather all of the buildings in one area rather than scatter them. I noticed two building at the end of the layout sitting beyond the "Petronas Towers" by themselves. I would bring them in and instead push the oil tanks out to the edge to create a separate city, industrial area and country area.

your right,will do.

Brian

Nice vid, the center of the layout really has a good japanese vibe! :cool:

I still think that you should have a slightly more unpredictable track plan. But, hey, I'm not here to argue about that. :)

You are on on a good path here. Keep it up!

Nice vid, the center of the layout really has a good japanese vibe! :cool:

I still think that you should have a slightly more unpredictable track plan. But, hey, I'm not here to argue about that. :)

You are on on a good path here. Keep it up!

Thanks.

I agree with you that my track plan is no super great, but my problem is if i make tracks cris crossing allround there will be no space for the kato road plates an buildings ,right ??

Brian

Here are some new building i bought from a German guy , this man is a genious , take a look.

Brian

post-164-13569922948073_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

You're welcome.

I agree with you that my track plan is no super great, but my problem is if i make tracks cris crossing allround there will be no space for the kato road plates an buildings, right ??

Depends. I thinks it's also possible to do achieve such a goal with little changes and adjustments. With one or two righltly place turnouts, double crossover and/or crossings you could change train of tracks very easily. :)

Brian - Nice video (I have to do this for my layout)

Interesting buildings. I'd like to see them on your layout to get a perpective as to the size of them compared to your other buildings.

Also does the German man sell these structures?

Brian - the postage is 37.00 Euro plus the cost of the building.  So the 2 buildings I see listed, the range would be $85.00 to $100.00 USD per building. Is that correct?

Brian - the postage is 37.00 Euro plus the cost of the building.  So the 2 buildings I see listed, the range would be $85.00 to $100.00 USD per building. Is that correct?

It look right, a bit high, but i promish you the buillding are a piece of art,im diffinetly going to buy more from him, my shipping cost is ofcourse lower than yours  :laugh:

Brian

I think I even post his site in another thread in the forum under "Skyscrapers"

Only problem is the overseas shipping, it's over $51.00 USD

Domino,

looking good! a few little ideas:

try running the trains with the longer cars (like the railstar and the Cassiopeia train) on the outer tracks that have the larger radiuses as they will look better going around the curves. then on the inner loops do the shorter freight cars and the romance train (which looks ok on short radius curves).

you might cut up some colored construction paper to lay down under some of your city and town areas to give areas of pavement or cement. very quick way of defining a street/road area.

do you have any vehicles to populate your streets? the cheap architectural cars from china are an easy and cheap way to start filling the streets with some traffic. we just place cars and trucks at each show differently. tomytec cars and trucks are also great and pretty good value, but more expensive than these cheaper cars. from 3-4 feet away they look fine though so your viewers wont notice their lack of really fine detail.

http://tinyurl.com/lt8ps2

for your street festival if you want crowds you could glue some figures to the construction paper or onto small piece of clear acetate. the cheap architectural figures you can get on ebay are great for making small crowds cheap. just have to make sure to store the little mats of figures carefully! the clear acetate can show up under some lighting conditions and especially in photographs more.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_sakura/pages/page_13.html

http://tinyurl.com/l83au9

have fun!

cheers

jeff

Jeff, Aaron and the rest of the DC group I've said it before, what an impressive layout!

But Jeff, I'm very surprised at you. You failed to tell Brian about the most important item he needs on the layout.

Godzilla!