Help: Danish Exhibition

domino

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Quite tempting to go to that exhibition.. Not too much of a problem getting there (boat to Copenhagen, train to Århus), but I'll be moving back to the Netherlands later this year, so I might want to save the money.... Hmmmmmm ;)

Brian - If you pay for Marti's transportation to the show, he can watch your layout while you go to the bathroom and maybe, just maybe even get a sandwich.  :grin

disturbman

And beer! Don't forget the beers with the sandwich. It's the most important friendship sealer in this area of the word.  :grin

Brian,

here is what i was talking about in the folded figure 8, but if your table is only 110cm wide it might be tight.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/layout/newlayout/outerloop.jpg

in the center area there we have the small, tighter radius local loop that we put the smaller, mainly interurban trains on. this inner loop can either be run as a loop or as a figure 8. these are pretty complex designs and could be simplified a lot if you want something that are not just ovals

http://japanrailmodelers.org/layout/newlayout/innerlayout.jpg

you may want to spread your storage tracks out some as well around your loops. this helps you bring things in and out in different ways and spreads the train viewing out around the layout. yards tend to only let you see the outside train and the lead cars on the rest of the tracks. you especially want to put cars with interesting decorations on the cars (ie anime trains) out on sidings that are really visible as the kids love to see all the cars on these!

this all might be too much too late to try. if so i would say then just simplify where you can for the first exhibition. keep it clean and simple. the big rule i have learned to live by is be consistent. try to do every thing to about the same level and quality. if you can only do B+ work with your time/resources then do everything at B+ than the visitor will always bump you up a notch if you are consistent. if you do some at A and some at C what they usually remember is the C work even though they liked the A work and usually knock you down then for not doing all A work! not to say you cant throw a few jewels in there now and then, just dont want large glaring swings in the level or quality you do things at by trying to do too much and then not being able to follow through so well on some parts.

getting too many trains running may just overwhelm folks. this is a problem in modern exhibit design as well as public exhibits seem to be on an arms race to be bigger, flashier, louder, than the next one. just ends up over stimulating and stunning the visitor. i saw this big time at the chicago museum of science and industry where there are gobs and gobs of flashy exhibits and interactives screaming at you from all angles. when standing back in galleries and watching the visitor reactions i saw hardly any of them spending more than 10 seconds at any station/graphic/interactive before having their attention ripped away by something else. this meant hardly any message could be delivered let alone set into memory.

its nice to give folks a chance to slowly move through your exhibit and keep finding interesting things and also be able to easily focus on one train at a time running. if each line is doing something different then it give the visitor something to focus on and remember as something unique.

you also dont want to have to have all your attention trying to keep 8 lines running, as a lot of the fun is interacting with the visitors and also just watching their reactions. really try to take time to observe the visitors, its amazing what you can learn from them just by watching their reactions and you also get some of the best compensation this way. seeing the glow in a little kids eyes (or even better seeing those little kids excited eyes popping back in an adult!) is a great feeling and make it worth all the trouble you will go through to do this!

I really second Doug's comments that you really should try to get someone to join you at the show even if you have to pay some expenses or something as it could make the difference between you having a good time and going mad! even if a few different people can come for a couple of hours just to spell you for bathroom breaks and food (have them run only a couple of trains maybe if they dont know much about running trains). does the exhibition not have security at night? usually ours do and we have never had a problem of something going poof.

you want this to be a fun and rewarding experience, not something that ends up being an awful pain so see what you can do to get some help if possible. the more you enjoy doing it this time the more you will want to do it again!

cheers

jeff

ps and ahhh yes dont forget the beers...

Jeff - I've been searching over the internet to come up with design ideas to help Brian, and your's are the best I've seen for this type of operation. It has the continuous running and Brian can shorten the lenght at the straight sections to accomendate his space.

Brian, I'd would have a go at it, you can always do alterations on the layout, that's the beauty of Unitrack.

Jeff - your design makes for an interesting "permanent" layout.

ok guy`s

I dont quit agree with some of you , i personaly think that having as many trains running as posssible and showing the rest in the front is the way to go for a first time Japanese layout, althoug i see your point by hidding trains behinde the building and then bring then in front one by one.

I dont see the point hidding the yard if people are allowed to all around the layout(all 4 sides), actually i dont know yet if they can go around the layout, im stil waiting for the floor plan for the exhibition.

Folks, am i totally of , by having all trains in the front  and 8 trains running at one time ?????????????

Brian

Jeff - your design makes for an interesting "permanent" layout.

I cant take credit for these plans! These plans were designed by Matthew Davis of JRM for the club. He is a really talented track plan designer!

cheers,

jeff

Hmm.. Quite tempting to go to that exhibition.. Not too much of a problem getting there (boat to Copenhagen, train to Århus), but I'll be moving back to the Netherlands later this year, so I might want to save the money.... Hmmmmmm ;)

Hey Martijn.

Your are more than welcome to stop by, beer and sandwich is on me, but boat and train ticket , your are on you own  :cool:, sorry, cant afford it.

Brian

Brian,

thats totally cool, you need to do what you think is best and makes you happy first! its you putting all the effort into this, the rest of us are just armchairing it! Its good to gather others experiences, but you also need to discover what works best for you.

Do take as much time as you can and watch your audience's reactions and learn from it. best loop you can do in your design. My clients are always paying huge bucks for evaluations and i can usually give them the conclusions from half a day of observation that the $10K evaluation give them (ive done this in the sealed envelope as a test in the past and won) and usually find a lot of detailed good and bads that the evaluation misses.

best of luck and have loads of fun and take some pictures and post!

cheers

jeff

ok guy`s

I dont quit agree with some of you , i personaly think that having as many trains running as posssible and showing the rest in the front is the way to go for a first time Japanese layout, althoug i see your point by hidding trains behinde the building and then bring then in front one by one.

I dont see the point hidding the yard if people are allowed to all around the layout(all 4 sides), actually i dont know yet if they can go around the layout, im stil waiting for the floor plan for the exhibition.

Folks, am i totally of , by having all trains in the front  and 8 trains running at one time ?????????????

Brian

Darren Jeffries

Will be nice with some detail. Looks a little like the petronas towers in malaysia.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY LATEST SKY SCRABER ?????????

interesting! they need a base structure to rise out of, maybe a plaza on the roof if it?

are the towers translucent plex? if so you might try printing out some grid patterns maybe dark square windows and white frames between (just thin lines), roll them up and put them inside to see if you can make a hit of interior framing for the windows. even some of the darkest most un-detailed high rises at least have some window trim/framing visible.

skyscrapers are fun to play with as there are a lot of tricks to mimic the structure w/o having to do a lot of fine detail. works really well if they are a bit in the back of the layout as they make a very dramatic backdrop and skyline!

cheers

jeff

It like a good movie or a show, you always let the audience see a little bit at a time, it keeps them interested and you're drawing them in. If you show them everything in one big shot, you have nothing left to offer them.

I was discussing your layout with a fellow modeller and he had a piece of interesting advice that I'll pass on to you, because you don't want to fix your layout down to the base, how about adding velcro buttons to the bottom of the Unitrack and the base, this will temporarily hold your track down at the exhibition, plus you'll know where to place your pieces of track.

disturbman

Side not: please people don't use capitals to write whole words or sentences. It's like you are screaming. It's very, for me, unpleasant.

Side not: please people don't use capitals to write whole words or sentences. It's like you are screaming. It's very, for me, unpleasant.

?????????

unpleasant, how ??

it was a mistake , my caps lock was on, sorry.

Brian

Darren Jeffries

?????????

unpleasant, how ??

it was a mistake , my caps lock was on, sorry.

Brian

Dont worry, these things happen. I once typed a whole long and involved email before i realised caps lock was on... i couldnt be bothered to change it then!!!

Back on topic. It would be good to add a base as Jeff suggested, also maybe create a transparent walkway between the two with some detail. Some lighing inside would then top it off nicely if you have some windows drilled.

Darren Jeffries

Will be nice with some detail. Looks a little like the petronas towers in malaysia.

see:

petronas-domino.jpg

Brian - One thing I did when I was deciding on which buildings I was going to use on my current layout, salvaging buildings from a previous layout, was to line them up and see how they looked in comparative size.

Then I took the buildings and put them in the area I am going to use them in the layout.

Here are the photos illustrating what I'm describing:

After seeing what they looked like, I decided that the Atlas Hexagon Building was too big for the town I was planning.

In you layout I like the 2 Atlas Buildings you have they fit in with the city scene you're planning but, now take the new double cylinder structure you have and compare it in size to your other buildings, ask yourself these 2 question, does appear to big or does it fit in? And does it draw too much attention to itself?

post-22-13569922885248_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922885588_thumb.jpg

Hey

A friend of mine made this building just to see how it would look on my layout,actually i dont think it looks that much out of place, i have seen photo of many Japanese city skylines , and they do mix small and big building right next to each other, as some comments also points out.

I agree that i needs detailing,it is deliberately not transparent, he did not have the right materiel  :cheesy

Brian

post-164-13569922885962_thumb.jpg

It like a good movie or a show, you always let the audience see a little bit at a time, it keeps them interested and you're drawing them in. If you show them everything in one big shot, you have nothing left to offer them.

I was discussing your layout with a fellow modeller and he had a piece of interesting advice that I'll pass on to you, because you don't want to fix your layout down to the base, how about adding velcro buttons to the bottom of the Unitrack and the base, this will temporarily hold your track down at the exhibition, plus you'll know where to place your pieces of track.

Velcro, thats a great idea, i will try that.

Brian

Hey

Im not sure what you mean" they need a base structure to rise out of, maybe a plaza on the roof if it?" ???

Could you explain please ?

brian

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY LATEST SKY SCRABER ?????????

interesting! they need a base structure to rise out of, maybe a plaza on the roof if it?

are the towers translucent plex? if so you might try printing out some grid patterns maybe dark square windows and white frames between (just thin lines), roll them up and put them inside to see if you can make a hit of interior framing for the windows. even some of the darkest most un-detailed high rises at least have some window trim/framing visible.

skyscrapers are fun to play with as there are a lot of tricks to mimic the structure w/o having to do a lot of fine detail. works really well if they are a bit in the back of the layout as they make a very dramatic backdrop and skyline!

cheers

jeff

Hey all.

I want to thanks you all for helping me get ready to my first exhibition here in Denmark, i know that i have not commented on all quots posted here, but i have read ALL more than once, and found many useful infomation so please keep them coming.

The Exhibition coordinator is stopping by my house tommorrow for first hand look at my layout, just to see what they can expect at the show, and is very interrested in what a Japanese layout look like  :grin

Thanks again guy`s, keep posting comments.

Brian

domino

Hey

Im not sure what you mean" they need a base structure to rise out of, maybe a plaza on the roof if it?" ???

Could you explain please ?

brian

many multiple towers like this are surrounded by a large building(s) at the base. usually its a large area for entrance arcade/atrium to the towers. usually also has shops and restaurants for the workers. sometimes the roofs of the structure at the base between the towers has a plaza/patio on the roof of it for hanging out between the towers. you could also add large skylights this center roof area popping through for more light into the atrium below and they could become sculptural elements on the roof top plaza (turning skylights into sculptural elements above is a standard thing if people are going to be around the skylights above).

if you look at the picture of the petronas towers that darren posted you will see what im talking about. also helps integrate the towers in to the rest of the structures around it in your city and not have them stick out too much (again im a fan of not making one thing scream too loudly or it overwhelms the other elements of your exhibit and also if elements start screaming too much you get into a shouting match in your exhibit and overwhelm your audience easily) and help harmonize them some with the other buildings in your scene.

some towers rise directly out of flat plazas like the world trade center towers did, but the plaza there was large and the minimalism of those towers wanted to have them just go directly into the ground due to the unique exterior vertical lines/supports that yamasaki did.

one cool thing to try when thinking about building size and shape is to just use cardboard and tape or hot glue to whack up some simple space filling models to get an idea of how the overall mass will look where you want it and relation to other buildings you have. you can then refine to see what putting base structures below towers would look like, etc. once you have your size and shape then you can start constructing the real thing. its amazing how fast and easy it is to do and how much you can get out of it. the process can really get misty ideas in your head out and much more solid and though through. even gehry loves to use crumpled paper and masking tape to start shaping his visions (that guy thinks in 5 dimensions so im sure its hell for him to get them out of his head and express them in 3!)

if you know gehry and want a great laugh watch the first 5 minutes of this Simpsons season 16, episode 14, Seven-Beer Snitch its a hoot! A friend worked in gehry's office and it was full of crumpled up piece of paper and tape. took him a few days to realize what was going on. he feel out of his chair when i showed him the episode, hes sure someone from the office must have given groening a lot of input and gehry was a good sport and did his voice!

This can work well for scenery as well, if you want to try a hill some where then just crumple up news paper and strap it down with some masking tape. lets you keep fiddling to find the right shape and also live with it a while before going into construction. running trains through it can change your view of things sometimes or help you find a functional problem with your idea.

sorry the pontificating, i made huge numbers of exhibit and architectural models when i was young and working at the monterey bay aquarium while being designed so i learned the value of this approach big time. even the most talented of designers would at times really blow it as when an idea went into a quick 3d mock up it became apparent it just would not fly. to think of the amount of chipboard, corrugated card board, newsprint, hot glue, tape, and matte knife and xacto blades i went through, but it was all huge return on investment and an incredibly interesting process to iterate through!

cheers

jeff

How did your meeting go with the Exhibition coordinator?

Hey all.

I want to thanks you all for helping me get ready to my first exhibition here in Denmark, i know that i have not commented on all quots posted here, but i have read ALL more than once, and found many useful infomation so please keep them coming.

The Exhibition coordinator is stopping by my house tommorrow for first hand look at my layout, just to see what they can expect at the show, and is very interrested in what a Japanese layout look like  :grin

Thanks again guy`s, keep posting comments.

Brian

domino

(again im a fan of not making one thing scream too loudly or it overwhelms the other elements of your exhibit and also if elements start screaming too much you get into a shouting match in your exhibit and overwhelm your audience easily)

That noise you hear in the background is Jeff's espresso machine.  :grin