JR Shibuya reconstruction starts

railsquid

Temporary supports have recently appeared under the bridge over route 246 formerly used by the southbound Yamanote freight line track:

43362535165_030792d93a_z.jpg

shibuya-2018-08-24a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

so presumably it will be removed by some means, my amateur guess is that it will be jacked up and moved onto the space vacated by the former southbound track for dismantling on site. Might be wrong though, always interesting to see how these things turn out.

The new bridge:

43362535035_7c30103d5d_z.jpg
shibuya-2018-08-24b by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which takes the place of one or two of the former Toyoko line bridges. As mentioned previously, three have been retained to support a pedestrian walkway between two of the tower blocks beeing constructed on the site of the former Toyoko line station, from underneath it looks like renovation work on these is finally complete:

43362535265_5ff9ebab29_z.jpg

shibuya-2018-08-24c by Rail Squid, on Flickr

From above you wouldn't know what structure you're walking over, but it's been fitted with a superstructure resembling the design of the former Toyoko line station, which is a nice touch:

43362534845_9b3c747180_z.jpg

shibuya-2018-08-24d by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5

This weekend the new Saikyo line platform will be brought into service, which means the Saikyo line between Osaki and Shinjuku will be closed all weekend to finalize construction. Details here: https://www.jreast.co.jp/shibuya-koji/ (also available in English).

The work will involve raising the northbound track (Shinjuku direction) by a metre or so.

The live cam at the Shibuya "scramble crossing" doesn't show this directly but right now (1am Saturday morning) you can see signs that major construction is about to happen).

• Like 2

Work somewhat more progressed than the previous video, trusses which will carry the new track largely in place:

• Like 1

We've long mused that the "Caution, Men Working" signs should be replaced with "Caution, Men Watching".

I'm no expert, but I imagine the logistics of that kind of operation where a large number of workers are deployed on a long narrow site with a short deadline means not everyone will be busy all the time, but will be needed to be available at very short notice. Wouldn't surprise me if they've been briefed to double-check work while they're standing around to make sure nothing gets overlooked.

Yes happens, just seemed extreme in the last video with like 3 guys (your could see) working and a few more observing closely and then a few dozen standing around not particularly watching anything specific. Just didn’t feel like the normal Japanese construction scenes where most are working or carefully observing or waiting very patiently poised to go into action. 

jeff

Well the videos are minute-long snippets of a 48+ hour operation so you're not getting the whole picture. With the last video it looks like they've got the truss in place towards the end of Saturday and are waiting around for whatever happens next (checks to be completed the rails to be delivered?)

Edited by railsquid

I agree, it was just an odd snippet that was not what I usually expect to see on a Japanese rail construction project.

jeff

The Japanese do some remarkable construction projects on very tight timelines. Yeah,there are lots of guys standing around, but when they go its an army of ants.  This is not the US of A. The Fukutoshin subway line was connected to the Tokyu Railway one night in 3.5 hours between last train and first train.  That meant removing a temporary trestle and connecting a new permanent ramp. At least the Japanese armies of ants build railway lines!!

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

Pictures from today (Sunday May 31st):

Have only skimmed through the video so can't comment on the numbers of inactive workers ;).

Supporting structures for the new southbound Yamanote line tracks are appearing:

51121579387_175a1595d3_z.jpg

shibuya-station-2021-04-09_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I suspect the existing southbound platform will be widened over the existing southbound track (the plan is to end up with two wide central platforms, one for the Saikyo line, one for the Yamanote line).

A new support for the Ginza line overbridge has appeared (behind the existing blue one):

51122151371_f84ccf7a2c_z.jpg

shibuya-station-2021-04-09_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a textbook definition of a constrained worksite...

Earlier today (Sunday):

Yesterday evening:

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, railsquid said:

More or less complete as of ca. 20:55:

WOW that's fast, defintely Japanese technology and pure work coordination! 

What amaze me is how the video was taken... we could see the windows of the train, meaning the camera was outside the window? Could it have been taken by a train conductor as they have access to a open train window?