JR Shibuya reconstruction starts

railsquid

I don't have an English link yet, but the official ceremony to mark the begin of the reconstruction of the JR part of Shibuya station was on TV yesterday. Here's a Japanese newspaper report.

Basically this will involve moving the Saikyo line platforms into the main station area (occupying part of the area of the old Tokyu Toyoko Line terminus, which was largely gone the last time I looked a month or so ago) while the two Yamanote line side platforms will be merged into a single island platform. Scheduled completion date: 2027. I guess that might make it the last station on the Yamanote line to get platform doors.

• Like 6

Let me emphasize some relevant words of my post which is titled "JR Shibuya reconstruction starts":

begin of the reconstruction of the JR part of Shibuya station

The Tokyu/Fukutoshin parts of the wider Shibuya station have indeed been under reconstruction (or deconstruction for some time), now it's the JR station's turn as space is now available.

Edited by railsquid

Apparently one portion of the redevelopment will be finished by FY2019:

With an eye toward the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, a major rooftop observatory is being planned atop a new Shibuya Station building that will offer a stunning view of the bustling "Scramble Crossing" intersection far below.

Tokyu Corp. added plans to build the observation deck atop the new 230-meter high East Tower, currently being constructed directly above Shibuya Station, to create a new tourist attraction for visitors to the 2020 Games.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201508120004

Before I forget, some pictures of the former Tokyu terminus on July 23rd 2015, with deconstruction well underway. The Yamanote line platforms are just visible in the background; the Saikyo line (Yamanote freight line) runs in front of them, and above it is the walkway to the current Saikyo line platforms quite a way to the left (south). Pictures are taken panning left-to-right (or south-to-north) from the east side of the station.

shibuya_tokyu_2015_07_23a.jpg

shibuya_tokyu_2015_07_23b.jpg

The scaffolding on the rear-right of this picture surround the current Ginza line station (which will be moved backwards so it straddles the Tokyu Toyoko/Fukutoshin line station.

shibuya_tokyu_2015_07_23c.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

I've been lucky to have been able to talk to both Tokyu and JR contractors, planners and archietects on this development, and we are going to start to see some serious building happening after November. Up until now, most of the construction has been taking place under the east side of the development to move the Shibuya River canal into a new culvert along with creating a new water retention facility. Since that is done, we will now see more above ground works start in earnest. 

1. As far as JR is concerned, They will first need to make the Yamanote line inner loop platform (Shinagawa-Tokyo bound) into an island platform for the outer loop trains to stop there.
  2. Next they can then hack away at the then disused platform on that side and add another track somehow, creating a new island platform out of the space. At that point the Yamanote Line will move to that platform temporarily.
  3. The island platform first created then can be shifted more and become the new Saikyo Line platform, and the Yamanote platform will be shifted over more and become the new Yamanote Platform... side by side in the final configuration.

This will have to happen while the station is in operation, still catering to  the same amount of people that have to use the station everyday (including yours truly ;) )

BTW, @railsquid, let me empasize a few points they passed on to me, because I asked:

JR will be using their existing property lines and not encroach upon Tokyu's property line--which if you see the site in person, is impossible now since there's a building foundation going in where the old Tokyu Toyoko station used to be. How they manage that is beyond my comprehension but I can't wait to document the process.

The goal for completing the JR platform rennovation is the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, in time for the Olympics. Again, my mouth dropped, but since I have a booklet from Tokyu along with a press release from JR East, this is gospel. The completely renovated station will be done 7 years later in 2027, but the platform structures will be there in time for the Olympics. 

Here's a news report with coverage of the ground breaking as well as a a good graphic overview from TokyoMX TV the other night...

Edited by StarrWulfe
  • Like 3

Interesting stuff :)

BTW, @railsquid, let me empasize a few points they passed on to me, because I asked:

JR will be using their existing property lines and not encroach upon Tokyu's property line--which if you see the site in person, is impossible now since there's a building foundation going in where the old Tokyu Toyoko station used to be. How they manage that is beyond my comprehension but I can't wait to document the process.

Ah OK; I've heard several times that JR was waiting for the Tokyoku terminus to be removed before reconstruction could start. I can just about see how they could realign everything into the existing footprint, though it seems a bit tight, and using the current inner loop platform as an island platform for both lines seems a tad optimistic. Anyway we shall see what happens :)

So as i see the northen entry point is fixed at the road bridge for all 4 tracks. The east curve of the saikyo bordering the Tokyu property is also fixed and stays in place. The two track middle portion of the station will be in place of the current eastern yamanote platform and  the current eastern yamanote/western saikyo tracks will be replaced by the saikyo platform, while the new yamanote platform will be partially located in place of the north part of the eastern yamanote and south part of the western yamanote platforms, with an extension toward the south. This is completly doable with two temporary platforms, erected on temporary frames. (like rubber mat covered wood on metal tubes) The island platforms seem to be 150% thickness compared to the current side platforms. It means a 25% reduction in surface and capacity, but only if both directions are equally busy at the same time.

Lots of progress visible around Shibuya station, even compared to a couple of months ago.

This is the new tower (not sure if it has a name yet, working title seems to be "Scramble Square Complex, East Tower", occupying more-or-less the site of the old Toyoko terminus:

39029280112_04de90a8ab_z.jpg

Shibuya: New "Scramble Square Tower" (?), 2017-12-14 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

As I suspect, some (3) of the former Toyoko line bridges spanning Route 246 have been retained, and look like they're being integrated as a connecting deck between this tower (on the right):

39029279952_15d280f2c8_z.jpg

Shibuya - former Tokyu Toyoku line bridges, 2017-12-14 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and the one being constructed to the south, main part of the "Shibuya Stream Tower" complex (seen from the south):

39029279732_4af2f01126_z.jpg

Shibuya - new "Shibuya Stream Tower" (?), 2017-12-14 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A new entrance to the Fukutoshin/Toyoko line station has appeared, (to the right of the above tower), also providing escalator access to the new complex of pedestrian walkways which are slowly emerging:

38350164844_e9dbe940a1_z.jpg

Shibuya - new entrance/connecting escalators by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Now to the JR bit: this concrete structure will carry the Yamanote freight line (in the direction of Osaki), being built a few metres to the east of the existing line, running through space formerly occupied by the Toyoko line terminus:

38178643505_014751c431_z.jpg

shibuya-4-new-yamanote-goods-line-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The new line, seen from the end of the Saikyo line platforms; the square tunnel-like portal is where the line is integrated into the "Scramble Square Complex, East Tower" pictured in the previous post :

39029279512_e12028315f_z.jpg

shibuya-4-new-yamanote-goods-line-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Broader overview:

39060250651_b3c2e550d0_z.jpgshibuya-4-new-yamanote-goods-line-3 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Viaduct over Route 246 (structure on right is one of the old Toyoko line bridges):

39029279332_1cee65c602_z.jpg
shibuya-5-new-yamanote-goods-line-3 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

New line at the north end of the station:

38179047775_d827c1a8a2_z.jpg

Shibuya: new Yamanote goods line at north end of station, 2017-12-14 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It will be interesting to see what logistical jiggery-pokery will be required over the next few years to rearrange all the JR platforms; currently everything's pretty much unchanged.

• Like 6

The amount of planning and logistics which goes into these operations must be amazing, and they manage it with comparatively little disruption.

On 9/14/2015 at 12:54 AM, StarrWulfe said:

Per observations above, the new Yamanote freight line (Saikyo/Shonan Shinjuku line) track towards Osaki *is* outside the bounds of the existing JR station, and is actually physically integrated into the new tower being built on the Toyoko station site.

Two possible explanations:

-JRE bought some of the Tokyu site

-the old Toyoko terminus was using some of the JNR site

Considering the old station was built on a river, anything is possible.

3 hours ago, kvp said:

Two possible explanations:

-JRE bought some of the Tokyu site

-the old Toyoko terminus was using some of the JNR site

Obviously JR and Tokyu have come to some kind of arrangement as part of the overall project, which looks full of complexities (e.g. looks like Tokyu will be building over the JR part of the station too); what the details of that are, I have no idea. However the poster I was quoting, who appeared to have some inside knowledge of the situation, is evidently incorrect about JR not using part of the old Toyoko terminus space.

As for the "river", that's being rechannelled somewhere in the space between the Fukutoshin/Toyoko line station and the JR station, and a floodwater retention chamber is being constructed (possibly finished by now, I haven't looked at the details).

• Thanks 1

First substantial change at JR Shibuya will take place this weekend, with the Yamanote freight line closed for most of Saturday and Sunday:

41439569775_28b4a8718d_z.jpg
jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_005 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

to facilitate the first stage in moving the Saikyo/Shonan-Shinjuku line platform parallel with the Yamanote line platforms:

40534547270_a8baf26fca_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_008 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

This is looking northwards; the southbound line will be connected with the new line on the right, which bypasses the existing JR station, encroaching on space formerly used by the Tokyu station and which is now largely a skyscraper.

41439568925_983d33434c_z.jpg
jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_006 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Evidenly the move will need lots of sandbags (looking back south):

41439568035_99044f3d8d_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_007 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I presume the existing platform will also be temporarily expanded to fill the gap; it will also need to be raised slightly, and fencing is already in place (not pictured) to separate the raised section from the other side of the platform,w hich will remain as is.

The new platform is taking shape (view from the walkway connecting the existing Saikyo line platforms with the main station):

41439566235_97c6746c0a_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_009 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Note those girders form part of the skyscraper rising on the old Tokyu station site, so the rails are actually running through the building.

The walkway itself is supported by these massive horizontal beams over the existing running lines:

40534546430_bd441327fd_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_010 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

which I suspect will need to be removed before the southbound platform can be created here.

At the north end of the station, it looks very much like the existing southbound line bridge will be moved outwards. One new rail is already in place, it almost looks as if they're just adding one new rail (on the right/east) and planning to reuse the existing right-hand/eastern rail as the left-hand/western rail...)

40534550920_7a2e538878_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_001 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

40534549860_8d34981438_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_003 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

40534549480_0499ce726d_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_004 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

41439572235_e317bce59e_z.jpg

jr-shibuya-2018-05-25_002 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Looks like it will be a busy 48 hours for a bunch of people...

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, railsquid said:

At the north end of the station, it looks very much like the existing southbound line bridge will be moved outwards. One new rail is already in place, it almost looks as if they're just adding one new rail (on the right/east) and planning to reuse the existing right-hand/eastern rail as the left-hand/western rail...)

Nope, looks like they removed the old one and maneuvered a nice new shiny white bridge section into place.

• Like 3
On 5/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, railsquid said:

Wrong about the rail too, looks like it was laid to enable the new bridge segment to be rolled into place.

Youtube video on the Yamanote Line starting at Harajuku, with a view of the ongoing work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It will be nice and new, practical even, but that old organically built heap of a station they torn down was really unique, of course only from a railfan standpoint. I'm sure commuters will like the new layout more.

Another video, by the same person as above,  taken just before construction started.

• Like 1

Is this also related to the Shibuya construction works? 

Seems like the Shonan-Shinjuku line changed at Osaki due to some works on the crossing at Shibuya?  (if my limited Japanese is doing me some good...)