"E" Designation

serotta1972

When did JR East start to apply the "E" on their trains?  Is JR West going to start doing the same with their trains as in the W7.  Out of curiosity - the Shinkansen started with the 0 Series and now up to 800 Series, was there a 600 Series?

Thank you for your time!

-Junior

There was no 600 series because the train intended for that, became the E1 shinkansen trainset with JR East's then new naming policy using the "E" prefix.  Adding E to 600 would be a no go either as the 600 series is reserved for zairaisen ltd. express AC/DC emus.

I think the W prefix was added to differentiate the JR West-owned trainsets from the identical JR East ones.  It's likely a one off for JR West.

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Bikkuri Bahn!  That's an interesting fact - I'm trying to make sense and see the logic how Japanese trains are numbered and named.  

trainsforever8

This is actually an interesting question. I've also been wondering why the E233-8000 came out before the E233-6000, they could've just had named Saikyo line's E233 6000 and Yokohama line E233 8000 thinking about the chronological order of their releases, right? 

The subtypes within a type are usually numbered in design and not in construction order. Financial plans can change construction orders after the designs have been finalised.

This is actually an interesting question. I've also been wondering why the E233-8000 came out before the E233-6000, they could've just had named Saikyo line's E233 6000 and Yokohama line E233 8000 thinking about the chronological order of their releases, right? 

Sorry, if i'm not mistaken:

E233-6000 is Yokohama Line:

E233-7000 is Saikyo Line:

And E233-8000 is Nambu Line:

While i'm not sure if the E233-7000 came out before the E233-6000, but i'm sure E233-8000 was the last to be released amongst the 2... Hope that clarifies.

• Like 2
SuRoNeFu 25-501

From my personal analysis, it seems that the very first usage of letter "E" on all of JR East's rolling stock was applied to the E351 (if counted from the build year of it's prototype sets, E351-1001F (MoTo S1), E351-1002F (MoTo S2), E351-1201F (MoTo S21) and E351-1202F (MoTo S22), which is 1993).

But it is something strange that 209 series, which was introduced on the same year, still not bearing the "E" letter for unknown reasons (perhaps someone knows why commuter/suburban trains being introduced by JR East after the 205 series but before the E217 series were still not bearing the "E" letter?)

CMIIW

But it is something strange that 209 series, which was introduced on the same year, still not bearing the "E" letter for unknown reasons

The prototype trainsets(three sets of ten cars each), which were initially numbered as the 901 series, were introduced into service in March of 1992, which would place them well before the designation change.

Not anymore:

■2013年に構内で保管されていたHX-1。  ※2015年に解体され現存しません。

It was scrapped this year, together with the linear motor subway prototype.

Interesting to see that the stainless steel sides resisted the weather much better than the normal steel front. so it would be a good idea to use stainless steel only. Not that with a 15 year lifespan it would matter that much, but the sides did survive 24 years without maintenance in a near mint condition.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The prototype trainsets(three sets of ten cars each), which were initially numbered as the 901 series, were introduced into service in March of 1992, which would place them well before the designation change.

Ah I see... That's why they still bears no "E" letter on their designation number.