Tatami Layout

MechaDen

So I got me a layout laid out on some wood elevated off the Tatami floor a bit. It's easier to handle smaller pieces of wood, and also slide around for cleaning, and hopefully I won't be so sad when it's time to move.

I also got the wood since I can't very well decorate and paint the tatami mats. My landlord probably wouldn't appreciate my mad art skills.

post-3368-0-60764100-1440588498_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Next step is to take my time, everything up to setting the layout on the wood was pretty rushed.

After JAM I figured it's my layout and I can make it how I see fit, this will only improve my skills and no one else's. 

Also learned to take my time. Saw someone made a model over 5 years and the total area wasn't any bigger then one of my boards.

I'm trying to figure out roads and stuff. Should I leave it flat wood and paint it I guess, or put in plaster to give some sense of hills and terrain, I'm thinking terrain. The area is not really big enough for pre built roads afaik, so I was just going to hand draw it all.

Also I have to figure out the paint here in Japan, so many brands of I don't know how to read what. I know of the hobby paints but they're not made for this scale. I can read hirgana and katakana, but that's about it. My known kanji is less than 50 characters.

Getting excited to make forward progress on this.

MechaDen,

Great start! Smart to do modules like this so you can work on smaller bits at a time, store easily and move it when needed! Simple design works well! Approaching it as a setup to learn is also smart to not jump in to deep too fast. You can hone your skills bit by bit on smaller chunks on the sections instead of having to attack a new process on the whole layout. I've also always found it wise to test any scenery process on a bit of cardboard first and write what I did on the back and it becomes a great sample chip for the future.

If the wood is nice looking think about just staining and oiling it and keep the nice wood grain there,mthat can go very smartly with the layout for under it. Paint can become very heavy visually and actually distract from the layout, where as a nice wood grain and tone becomes a piece of nice supporting furniture that they eye sees but does not get stuck on visually. Our brain also just likes wood grain to touch and just feel comfortable and cozy with.

Will be fun to watch this evolve! Have fun with it!

Cheer,

Jeff

Still in experimental/testing/learning phase, but it's fun.

I mostly finished the pharmacy but I want to put people and shelves and other things inside. I thought I'd need something super detailed but after some googling i found out I can just put a picture on cardboard (heck I could probably just draw something) just to give the appearance. I don't think it will be scrutinized to that level, just want to simulate people going about their day with some degree of detailed realism.

I have a bunch of other buildings to setup too, but I need to finish the station area first... I may not be organized but I do know some things that need to go in a certain order.

Took these photos to help me get things in perspective and give me an idea of what I will be able to do with the space I have. (That toothpick is leftover from something... not sure what but I didn't have it there to measure anything... but now that I see it there... might as well use it for what it is... a makeshift ruler.)

post-3368-0-19097500-1441286295_thumb.jpg

post-3368-0-65756000-1441286297_thumb.jpg

• Like 2