Alternative Tomytec parts

katoftw

How does one know what close coupler one would use for each Tomytec set?  I've tried googling but come up with the normal non Japanese language Tomytec/Tomix void.

It is trial and error?  I do have some attached to my MicroAce Kiha 40 Isaburo-Shinpei that I could snap off and trial.  They are the MicroAce version, but all MicroAce versions have a Tomix equivalent.

If this Tomix 5.6mm wheel trial is successful, then I'd like to follow the same route as others above and not use trailer kits but other wheels, close couplers and third party weights.  Although I have about 5-6 Tomytec weights spare from the TM-20 motor units.

Edited by katoftw

There are body mount and pocket mount couplers. The body mounts need 4 small studs on the sides of the car ends. The exact coupler type depends on if the prototype has shibata or standard couplers. The color should match the model.

I'm only referring to body mount.  And yes the difference between the electrical and standard lock is the easy bit to figure out visually.  As are the colours to figure out visually.  But then were is 3-4 of each type in black and gray.

How does on know which of the 3-4 different black body mount standard lock couplers one would use on a Kiha 125 for example?

Edited by katoftw

For body mount TN couplers, I usually get the 6-pack, as this is the most price efficient one, but I only use it in the middle-connections where the looks don't really matter that much. Sometimes you have to modify them a little bit for powered units so the bogies don't hit the back of the couplers.

For cab-mounted TN couplers, this is a slightly different story. For trains that don't have skirts, this is easy, since you only have the basic skirt to deal with. With a skirt, sometimes the Railway Collection trains have skirts that have mounting connectors for TN couplers that require no modifications. However, in case with the KiHa 125, unfortunately not. Like on this blog here, the user modified a TN coupler (JC6352) and the skirt to make it all fit. Even on a non-powered chassis: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kamotudaisuki/67237697.html On a powered unit, it has even been more modified : http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kamotudaisuki/67263408.html

Another option is to completely go for 3rd party sources and do it like this: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hc_787/10343765.html (I really like this option), or go for more simple modding like this and lose a part of the skirt: http://traintrain.jp/blog/detail/mid/23358/date/2015-01-08

And then you have bogie mounted couplers like here: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/kentaroh_kiha189/62725056.html Not really what you and me are looking for, but it's an alternative...

Thanks Toni.  I'll have to investigate more.  The coupler from the traintrain blog is the same coupler as on my Kiha140 Isaburo-Shinpei.  Has the 0526 stamp on it.

I did have a look, and yes the motor unit will be a huge issue.  The top of the bogies are huge and makes contact.

Thanks Toni.  I'll have to investigate more.  The coupler from the traintrain blog is the same coupler as on my Kiha140 Isaburo-Shinpei.  Has the 0526 stamp on it.

I did have a look, and yes the motor unit will be a huge issue.  The top of the bogies are huge and makes contact.

No thanks! I've been looking into this for a while as well, so I'm just sharing the information I've found.

The solution I had with my 16m Kotoden trains was to have bogie mounted couplers. Then again, the KiHa 125 is a 18m car, which will be a little bit easier. For serious use with minimal visual interference, I'd say getting a 3rd party mount like in the link I posted before (concerning this item: http://www.tavasa.jp/tavasasite/px/pk006.htm) would be the best option. It just requires a hole to fix the mount and two plastic parts for the skirt. It sure beats the hell out of cutting up a TN coupler and risking it to fall apart and becoming utterly useless.

Edited by Toni Babelony

I have managed to add the skirts of the Kantō Railway KiHa 2100 types (similar to the Railway Collection No. 19 skirts) to normal TN couplers with some simple cutting and glue:

IMG_20151005_095826.jpg

IMG_20151005_095836.jpg

IMG_20151005_095658.jpg

IMG_20151005_095634.jpg

And a little joke:

IMG_20151005_095605.jpg

The good thing about these models is that they are 20m vehicles and don't require modding to avoid the powered bogies from hitting the coupler mount. With the Railway Collection No. 19, this is different, as these are 18m vehicles and have the bogies closer to the front ends.

At this moment, I don't own a 18m Tomytec power unit, so I can't really give you a solution personally, but here is another blog with a solution here.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Got the old power collection black wheels in the mail.  I will update when I can about how they work.  If they do, will be getting the 4 pack 300 yen Tomix wheels from now on for my Tomytec cars.

Edited by katoftw

Kumamon 6000 series got some black wheels.  They are more metallic silver that turn black in certain angles.

post-1782-0-81398900-1447300825_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-43666500-1447301076_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-51160700-1447300957_thumb.jpg

post-1782-0-61650300-1447301016_thumb.jpg

Wheels are perfect for Tomytec trailer bogies.  Direct match/fit.  360JPY for black wheels or 300JPY for silver wheels from HobbySearch.

I forgot to post it, but i've added the old style tomix wheels to these Tomytec sets with the required motor type and left everything pretty much as it was, so no extra weights and i've left the original long, plastic spring Tomytec couplers in place. The pantographs are the all plastic movable type, which aren't as nice as the metal ones, but much better than the rigid unfoldable types. The sets each come with one extra long plastic coupler to be used for connecting the A and B sets. It turns out, that for some models with extra overhang from the bogies towards the car ends, the default couplers are just as effective as the TT pack ones with the long spacers added.

post-1969-0-65867200-1460971167_thumb.jpg

Edited by kvp

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10319501

Im liking the look of this coupler.  Pushes the whole coupler mech outwards away from the bogie.  And looks like it would be Kiha 125 friendly, as the Kiha 143 seems to have a similar skirt.

Finally got some of these couplers on the way.  Will update the results.

I also got more of those Greenmax bogie/wheels sets, so I have heaps spare for incoming Tomytec trains.

10 axles for 1000 yen?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10403748

Interesting, though still ±¥100 per wheelset, as opposed to ±¥50 for Kato ones. If the diameter is more close to 5.6mm, rather than the 5.15mm Kato has, it could be a worthy alternative, though it would still be on par with Tomytec's pricing.

I think the 300 yen for 4 axles of tomix classic wheels is a better deal. 12 axles for 900 yen is much nicer and the wheels will fit 100%, including diameter and power pickup sliding rings for the brass strip collectors.

So Ginga Model have got up for pre order TN skirts for NDC and Kiha 125 DMUs.  Two different types.  I'm hoping this is a solution you the Tomytec failures of their original shirts being used with non dummy couplers.  I have pre ordered some.  Will post results when I finally get them.

• Like 1

Some pics...

NDC

10414161a2.jpg

10414161b.jpg

10414161k.jpg

Kiha 125

10414164a2.jpg

10414164b.jpg

10414164k.jpg

Guessing the dotted line is where you need to cut the coupler plate to make room for the bogie gears.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Interesting parts. Finally a good looking coupler for those Tomytec cars.  :)

Pity you have to paint them yourselves, which could prove hard for lousy painters like myself...

I got the couplers in.

Everything fits up nicely.  These is a little bit more gap between the skirt and the body shell, but not much different when compared to the original parts.  The shirts will need to be glued to the couplers as the tabs sit loose in the holes on the coupler plate.

On the weekend I'll take some photos.  I was just doing a trial fit and didn't think I'd need the glue, which I cannot find.

On 10/5/2015 at 11:26 AM, Kabutoni said:

I have managed to add the skirts of the Kantō Railway KiHa 2100 types (similar to the Railway Collection No. 19 skirts) to normal TN couplers with some simple cutting and glue:

IMG_20151005_095826.jpg

IMG_20151005_095836.jpg

IMG_20151005_095658.jpg

IMG_20151005_095634.jpg

And a little joke:

IMG_20151005_095605.jpg

The good thing about these models is that they are 20m vehicles and don't require modding to avoid the powered bogies from hitting the coupler mount. With the Railway Collection No. 19, this is different, as these are 18m vehicles and have the bogies closer to the front ends.

At this moment, I don't own a 18m Tomytec power unit, so I can't really give you a solution personally, but here is another blog with a solution here.

Some new options for the Kanto Railway Tomytecs

www.1999.co.jp/itbig44/10446873k.jpg

www.1999.co.jp/itbig44/10446874k.jpg

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1