Alternative Tomytec parts

katoftw

This come up a little ago and I was conversing with a fellow member about this I but forget whom now.

I brought some black Tomix wheels to fit to my EFwing Kumamon Kumaden 6000.  But the wheels will not work.  See below:-

post-1782-0-44325500-1440556179_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-58114100-1440556218_thumb.jpg

They are 1mm in width difference compared to each other.  The Tomytec version look to have a slightly wider wheel and longer protruding point (where the axle journal would be IRL.

Just thought I'd share some of my useless findings. haha

Hello Mr katoftw,

Oh, that is bad luck.  I did not know about this difference.  There is also another Tomix part 0652.  I wonder if it has a longer shaft?

As an alternative, could you replace the entire bogie assembly?

Good luck.  I hope you find a solution.

I'm pretty sure 0651/652/654 all are the same dimensions.  But for 360 yen, the other black type is worth a go.  Last resort will be to just paint the outer section of the wheel black with a red ring.  The EFwing bogies need a lick of red on them anyway.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are correct.  The English conversion is "new power collection system" and "conventional power collection system."  I did get the "new" type.  So Ochanomizu's suggestion of 0652 should be good, as it is the "old" type.  Thanks.

I'll get some in the next month or so and let you know how I go.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

As most of us know by now, add-on parts for Railway Collection models are quite expensive and have become even more expensive recently. I'm specifically talking about the "trailer parts" here; TT-03R and TT-04R. I don't really care about the coupler parts because I would rather have TN couplers, the wheels are pizza cutters and the weights don't add much either because they actually don't weigh that much at all. So I'm looking for some alternatives, but I have no idea where to start.

For couplers you can just use Tomix TN couplers obviously, but what about the wheels and weights? Are there any affordable wheels out there in larger volumes that will actually fit the Tomytec bogies? Weights may actually be the most difficult to find an alternative for, but there should be something out there, shouldn't there?

Edited by Densha

For wheels, will Kato 11-605 (silver) or 11-606 (blackened) fit? You get eight wheelsets for not a lot of money.

Looks as though their tightlock or knuckle couplers would either clip in or you could mod the coupler arm to take them, if you use the type designed to replace Rapidos.

Weights, I just use whatever I can lay hands on. Lead fishing shot is useful for filling odd spaces (if the underframe boxes are hollow for example you can fill them with shot, then dribble PVA glue on top to seal it in). If I have the luxury of space without windows (such as a box van) I'll use old tyre balance weights, nuts, bolts, etc.

Edited by Welshbloke

At the moment I'm also looking for alternatives. Especially since recently I've been getting a lot of Tomytec trains, and it's not getting any less any time soon. Wheels in bulk especially. I've been looking into Kato ones, but I'm not sure if they will fit well. Weights can be done with lead tape and so on. The wheels are the biggest issue for me as well, since I'm also more keen on having TN couplers.

I came across this page in my early morning search: http://sonshivc.blog100.fc2.com/blog-entry-502.html Here are a few comparisons with wheelsets. The Kato ones are the cheapest overall (11-605 (silver) and 11-606 (black) at roughly half the price of a Tomytec upgrade set), but they don't exactly match the Tomytec dimensions, as they appear to be a little bit smaller than the Tomytec wheels in all dimensions.

However, browsing the web, Kato wheels seem to be an off-beat alternative (e.g.: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/masa_k_1960/14668807.html), so I don't see why not. Next time I'm visiting TamTam (probably tomorrow, together with a few Kanto Railway KiHa 2100 types), I'll be picking up a few sets (if) and see if it doesn't cause trouble with long consists. 

I found this German shop selling separate wheelsets. At €0.67 a piece not too expensive. The width that comes closest to the 14.35mm katoftw measured is the one with 14mm width.

Does anyone know the height of Tomytec wheels? If the alternatives are lower it would look strange together with other cars that have Tomytec wheels.

I found this German shop selling separate wheelsets

One remark, it's nickel plated brass. Running them on nickel silver tracks will peel off the plating and the brass is softer than the steel wheels sold by larger manufacturers, so they are not really meant for lots of running.

Wheel sizes:

TT-03 : 5.6 mm black couplers

TT-04 : 5.6 mm gray couplers

TT-05 : 6.0 mm black couplers

(xxR versions are the same, with narrower weights that fit more car types)

The really old Tomix cars also need the Tomytec wheels and they are compatible with old Arnold Rapido cars too.

After that it was off to TamTam where I got the freshly delivered KiHa 2100s, as well as a power unit (I think I have a spare here, but more is better), TN couplers and cheap Kato wheel sets to experiment with (they're 1/4th the price of Tomytec upgrade sets).

Toni,

How cheap did you get those kato wheel sets? They seem to be only half the tomytec price at the usual places I've looked.

Jeff

Edited by Densha

How cheap did you get those kato wheel sets? They seem to be only half the tomytec price at the usual places I've looked.

They were ¥432 per pack. That's half the price of the Tomytec packs (TT-0X), but they contain double the amount of wheels (16 pc.), so that makes them actually 1/4th cheaper. ;)

Though the Tomytec packs do include the other gubbins.

Any idea what the diameter of the Kato wheels is?

The only slightly other interesting thing in the Tomytec packs are the weights IMO, but those can be replaced with some simple lead/magnetic tape from the 100 yen shop. I usually replace the functioning couplers with TN couplers, not cheap, but they really make a difference! Non-functioning couplers usually stay dummies. So for me personally, the whole Tomytec upgrade set is a waste of materials and money.

As I've found out a bit earlier (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9772-tomytecs-the-railway-collection-general-discussion/?p=123080), the diameter for the Kato wheels is 5.15mm. A bit smaller than the 5.6mm Tomytec/Tomix have, but it doesn't make much of a difference and the trains roll pretty well. I think I'll stick to these.

• Like 1

They were ¥432 per pack. That's half the price of the Tomytec packs (TT-0X), but they contain double the amount of wheels (16 pc.), so that makes them actually 1/4th cheaper. ;)

Aren't the 11-605 and 11-606 8 wheel sets each? I guess that 16 wheels, but that what the tomytec are as well.

Jeff

Aren't the 11-605 and 11-606 8 wheel sets each? I guess that 16 wheels, but that what the tomytec are as well.

The Tomytec sets (TT-0X®) have sets for two cars, which is 8 wheels. Kato has enough for four cars. Ah wait. If you talk in wheels, you talk in actual wheels, not the number of axles... Oh you Americans with your Whyte-Notations... Still, Kato is 1/4th cheaper than Tomytec in that sense. Sans weights and couplers, but who needs that anyway xD

The ones in your picture look like they have 8 wheel sets in each package like the tomytec do. The kato 605 and 606 have 8 wheel sets.

Jeff

The ones in your picture look like they have 8 wheel sets in each package like the tomytec do. The kato 605 and 606 have 8 wheel sets.

Oh drat. Forget everything I said. I bought two packs and ripped them open without thinking and had 16 wheel sets on the table. That makes them half as expensive as the Tomytec ones. Still, a more attractive alternative. :P

LOL, I can just picture the little kid excite to ripping open the packages! Excitement rules! Still half the costs!

What are the part numbers you got? It looked like 608 and 604, but the current I could find are 605 and 606.

I ordered some earlier this week to try as well with tomytec and Btrain trucks. I keep hoping that there will be bags of wheel sets on ebay here in the U.S. as guys are always replacing them with more prototypical flange sets, but the few that show up ain't cheap!

Cheers

Jeff

I have some of the old skool versions in black on order now.  342 yen for 4 axles. (300 yen for regular silver).

10057416.jpg

Edited by katoftw

What are the part numbers you got? It looked like 608 and 604, but the current I could find are 605 and 606.

I got the 'black' ones, 11-606. These could get dirty quicker than the metal ones (not sure, but IIRC reading it somewhere), but since I don't run my trains that often, it's fine IMO.

Also, here is a picture of me adding weights to a Tomytec chassis. The tape is magnetic, which is a mix of rubber and metal particles (I think lead?). The magnet-part isn't helping much, but it has a sticky side, is easy to cut, and is relatively heavy.

IMG_20151002_083943.jpg