Chat Room Scheduled Discussions

Hello,

I was wondering if this has been attempted - I know this is an international forum and members are in varying time zones.  It would be nice to get into a discussion about a new model train, prototype or a project and I know it's already done in the various forums but this might satisfy instant gratification folks like myself.  Just a thought, got lucky one night and noticed some folks were in the chat room and was able to chat briefly with Jeff and a couple of other members.  

-Junior

• Like 2

I guess starting a thread (which this is) and specifying a time slot to all log on would work.  I think it would start slow.  but would build in numbers once you get it going.

Afternoons in America are mornings in Australia/Japan.  I like to sit down Monday morning and watch my fav but hapless Buccaneers (and generally the whole NFC South) in a Sunday arvo/night game.  2002 is so far away for this Bucs fan. (But that is another story for another time).

You could aim for something similar for USA = Saturday arvo + AUS/JP etc Sunday morning.

Edited by katoftw

I think this is a great idea (both scheduling chats and having a topic).  But, in how many timezones are we?  Just the four of us:

serotta1972 is currently UTC-7

katoftw is UTC+10(?)

bikkuri is UTC+9

I'm UTC-4 right now

sounds tough :(

I think this is a great idea (both scheduling chats and having a topic).  But, in how many timezones are we?  Just the four of us:

serotta1972 is currently UTC-7

katoftw is UTC+10(?)

bikkuri is UTC+9

I'm UTC-4 right now

sounds tough :(

not really.

Sun 8am-9am-10am Sydney/Brisbane

Sun 3pm-4pm-5pm LA/SF

Sat 5pm-6pm-7pm Dallas/Houston

Sat 7pm-8pm-9pm NY/Miami

Sat 9am-10am-11am Japan

pick on that suits.

Sun 8am-9am-10am-11am Sydney/Brisbane

Sun 3pm-4pm-5pm-6pm LA/SF

Sat 5pm-6pm-7pm-8pm Dallas/Houston

Sat 7pm-8pm-9pm-10pm NY/Miami

Sat 9am-10am-11am-12pm Japan

Sat 5am-6am-7am-8am Sillypore

Edited by katoftw

That's great katoftw, thanks figuring out some sensible hours for most of us - those times would work for me.  Unfortunately it seems like Europe will be in the middle of the night in this equation.  I'm sure JR500 is up before the sun rises.  Maybe we can do a trial run for the middle times this coming weekend.

Sat 4pm / 5pm LA/SF

Sat 6pm / 7pm Dallas/Houston

Sat 7pm / 8pm NY/Miami

Sun 12 pm / 1 am London

Sun 6am / 7am Sillypore

Sun 9am / 10am Sydney/Brisbane

Sun 10am / 11am Japan

Let's put it out there and see who attends.  I will be present for both times.

Topic Suggestions:  Disclaimer - my suggestions are topics i would like to participate in and not facilitate but I know there are many folks in the forum who have a broad knowledge of many things related to Japanese Trains who might want to suggest a topic that they would facilitate.  I've already perused through most of the older threads and have gained much knowledge and am wanting more.  

Japanese Trains - Different Classifications: Limited Express, Suburban, Commuter, etc

Shinkansens - 0 Series and beyond

Private Railways

Just some sample topics I would like to participate in and learn more about.  I understand a lot of information is available in the forum already as well as online but with a chat room discussion - questions can be posed and answered and I have a preference for interactive dialogue.

-Junior

Edited by serotta1972

Maybe start with broader range topics, ie an individual JR group/region to allow easy chatting.  Once we get more serious, make the subject matter more specific.  Although once we get chatting, who know where the conversation will go.

Things on my interest list:-

Kyushu railways

Japanese railway museums

Everyone's own top 5 railway lines

I'm sure JR500 is up before the sun rises.  Maybe we can do a trial run for the middle times this coming weekend.

Sat 4pm / 5pm LA/SF

Sat 6pm / 7pm Dallas/Houston

Sat 7pm / 8pm NY/Miami

Sun 12 pm / 1 am London

Sun 6am / 7am Sillypore

Sun 9am / 10am Sydney/Brisbane

Sun 10am / 11am Japan

That's quite true Junior San, cause my work starts really early... But the problem is, it is a Sunday and usually Sundays are hibernation days...

I actually like the spontaneity of the chat, it's who is there and what strikes up in a conversation from the mix there, I get the focused stuff from the threads myself. Chats I also find are nice to be a bit more personal and chatty than heavy content, but that's just my personal preference.

It is tough with a worldwide forum setting up universal times for scheduled chats. But set up a thread to try and schedule it! Perhaps one of the scheduling websites would be a place to organize this. If you set each topic up as a meeting you could have folks load their possible times they could chat in the next week on each and the software helps you find the best times to get the most folks in. It's helped clients schedule meetings that use to be hell to do via email.

Cheers

Jeff

Martijn Meerts

I'm often in there while I'm at the office, which is about the same time as all the Aussies are on there. Pretty soon I'll trade in my parrot for a kangaroo :)

• Like 1

Junior and myself were the only 2 participates for the first attempt.  A few entered and left without saying boo.

We chatted about various train types and fav trains/models, urban vs rural trains, 49ers doomed 2015 campaign (since junior is a bay area local), travelling in Japan.

Maybe more might join us next time?

Edited by katoftw