O gauge

Kb4iuj

No doubt, there's been a few pictures in the magazines covering O gauge... But, where are the hobby stores that carry a whole lot of stuff for the O gauge train lover ?

There's Kumata. You do see the odd O/OJ gauge item in second hand shops at eye-watering prices but it's kind of not so popular in Japan. HO is Japan's O Gauge.

bikkuri bahn

I wouldn't go for advice on O scale or any of the other big scales from any of the n scalers here as they tend to look down on anything larger than 1/150;)

You can find O scale and Oj scale at the shops that specialize in anything other than n scale. One is Imon, but the Akihabara store is the one to avoid as thats the only branch that doesn't stock O gauge. Akihabara in general is dismal for anything other than n scale, as a matter of fact(different demographics). I also recommend Mach Mokei in Osaka, they cater more to the hobbyist than the mass market hobby shops. That said, O scale is very.much a niche segment, dominated by collectors and craftsmen. Expect at the most a dozen models on display, or less in most cases. O scale takes up tremendous shelf space.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I absolutely love my German 0-scale, but it's not really doable building a decent layout with it. Unless of course, you do it in the garden. However, I'd be very uncomfortable running Japanese 0-scale in the garden, they're just too expensive...

For non-Japanese though, Lenz does some lovely 0-scale models for a very affordable price.

I wouldn't go for advice on O scale or any of the other big scales from any of the n scalers here as they tend to look down on anything larger than 1/150;)

Hey, I model British N-scale too! Personally I don't look down on Japanese O, rather gaze at it and the price label slack-jawed.

You can find O scale and Oj scale at the shops that specialize in anything other than n scale. One is Imon, but the Akihabara store is the one to avoid as thats the only branch that doesn't stock O gauge. Akihabara in general is dismal for anything other than n scale, as a matter of fact(different demographics). I also recommend Mach Mokei in Osaka, they cater more to the hobbyist than the mass market hobby shops. That said, O scale is very.much a niche segment, dominated by collectors and craftsmen. Expect at the most a dozen models on display, or less in most cases. O scale takes up tremendous shelf space.

I'm pretty sure the Imon in Akihabara has some O, possibly in the second-hand part of the store.

• Like 1

Actually, I look up to it, as it is more expensive and leaves more room for detail. I however don't pursue it as a personal goal to go bigger than N-scale, as it's not the mainstream market and it wouldn't be compatible with anything my local friends have running. ;)

• Like 1

While I am a total n scaler, I always look in wonderment at the detail that can be done in O. A friend in LA builds O scale layouts and equipment from scratch (he made an amazing layout for Neil Young's LA office and has a huge living room almost filled with a fabulous layout) and I would love to do O scale if I had the room, time and money. I just love n as there is so much great stuff so readily available and inexpensive. I also love how you can cheat with perceptions and the mind's eye with n scale in many ways.

So no looking down my nose here and I think the same for most all n scalers I know, it's more each to his own.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 3

From what I've seen O scale in Japan is the realm of the wealthy and the intrepid.  It's brass models, brass kits and scratchbuilding or American prototypes.  The small size of Japanese house and the lack of a club layout culture work against O scale in Japan.  To really get the bang from O scale you realistically need a club layout.  I'm surprised the rail museums in Japan haven't started some.  The museums run by the  JRs have the space for a good layout and they would attract enthusiastic volunteers and potential donors.

Wow this is amazing work! Neat to see the pictures as it comes together. The detail and craftsmanship you can do in O scale is really great. Truly impressive modeler.

Did you talk with him at all? Was he just out passing out cards or did he have s table?

Jeff

I'm pretty sure the Imon in Akihabara has some O, possibly in the second-hand part of the store.

Bingo - only a couple of items in each though. A fair amount of HO.

Wow this is amazing work! Neat to see the pictures as it comes together. The detail and craftsmanship you can do in O scale is really great. Truly impressive modeler.

Did you talk with him at all? Was he just out passing out cards or did he have s table?

I think he was just passing out cards. Didn't really talk to him, as I hadn't seen his website by that point, of course, and was on my way to a much-needed break.

Hiya - I dabble in o gauge (French o). I have just stumbled on and ordered a JR DD51 diesel in o gauge!

It's listed as 1/45 OJ Train Museum No.1 Diesel Train DD51 Hokutosei in kit form manufactured by Aoshima. I have just purchased one through Ebay.co.uk - paying 105 pounds sterling inc postage - I built an o gauge Japanese building a year ago and then my plans for a Japanese o gauge layout stalled - the Aoshima model loco could really change my plans.

It appears the model was released August this year and appears to be in kit form - the site link below seems to have the best photos - appears to be a cast resin model

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10320841

Regards Paul

That loco is really detailed and you can actually motorise it if you can get self propelled motor bogies for it and replacement wheels for the middle bogie. The only problem is the relatively large turning radius as the middle bogie's side movement is limited to the same bounds the prototype has. O gauge in Japan is really rare and usually arrive in kit form, but most models look wonderful.

damn the detail you can do in O! now that looks like a really fun kit to do and should look fantastic! reminds me of doing cars as a kid and tricking out the motors with lots of detail bits.

jeff

My plan would be to have a branch line terminus on a length of baseboard - in turn mounted on an ironing board! So, that would mean pretty straight track - I wouldn't seek to run the loco round Peco or Atlas style fixed o gauge curves. I'll post details when I start to build.

I'm off topic, but very curious about something I bought on Ebay months ago. I bought an O gauge brass electric, A-A, because it seemed to have the same size spoked drivers as the Pennsylvania RR AA1, first PRR electric. I wanted to scratchbuild an AA1 in 0 scale. I was basically going to destroy it to use and modify the trucks. I hesitated, thinking that I should know what I was destroying before I destroyed it. I could tell that the prototype had to be JNR, but couldn't find what model. Then lo and behold I receive my latest issue of the TCA Quarterly mag and there under "mystery" items is my loco, but unpainted, but marked ED58. Somebody had painted over the ED58 on mine. So it's the box cab version of the ED 58, prior to modernization. It's a crude model, with an 8 (!) volt motor. Anybody know anything about this thing ?

While stationed in Japan with the US Air Force for four years in the 1970s, i fully gained appreciation for why N and HO rule. Homes are small and there is no basement. I went to Hongkong for a 10 day leave and scooped up on some really nice N gauge Minitrix stuff. Built a 1x3 meter layout. Loved it ! But once back in the USA, it was back to O gauge. And my love, the PRR. 24'x20' layout in the basement. All said, I fully understand the space limitations of a layout in Japan, and some of the stuff I see from there is really cool.