Favorite Lighted Trains

Odakyu

I find that some train sets really come alive with interior lighting, especially those with larger windows and colored interiors. For example, the the Nankai Rapi:t fitted with interior lights emits a bluish hue from its oval windows that really matches the train's otherworldly appearance. Some sets, like my Tomix 500 Kodama, have not fared so well since the recommended bright white lighting coupled with the light beige interior kinda comes across like someone's lighting a flashlight inside the cars.

So which are your favorite lighted trains? Are there any that you'd recommend as a must have train for interior lighting?

Thanks!

Krackel Hopper

I am in the process of installing lights and interiors into my Kato Twilight Express and I love it!

Like you said about the beige interior and lights is definitely true, and the Twilight Express has that plain beige interior.  However, I managed to pick up a set of the N Goya interior detail kits for the Twilight Express.  All the colors inside lit up along with the dining car that uses table lamps.. fantastic!

Unfortunately the process is slow going, I only have 2 of my 10 cars done.  It'll be a while before I manage to detail the whole set.

Oh, wow! I hadn't really thought about detailing the interiors. Good to know that they have kits for certain sets since I'll definitely be on the lookout for these. Thanks!

If you go so far to add interior lights, then adding passangers is always a good idea. And maybe a driver or two. Also the seats can be painted/stickered if they are not the right color.

For trains that look awsome with lights i would say any sleeper set, especially with selectively lit rooms to simulate sleeping and awake passengers. Easily doable in H0 and maybe doable in N (with selective light bar masking).

Oops. I was trying to reply to KVP's post about painting the interiors. Sounds like a great idea to give the lighting a bit more pop and atmosphere. I assume standard Testor's acrylic paint should do the trick? Or is there some other paint that is best for the interior seats?

Aahhh yes nice topic.

I love trains with interior lightings... They just look SO good when running or even stopped stationary at a station! Without lights, it just look like the trains are out of service... No doubt the lights bring forth the next issue of an empty train...

Back on topic, the Kintetsu Shimakaze gets my second vote for being my favourite lighted train... I mean the windows are big enough and the light looks great inside those big windows!

Shimakaze_zpssyuvrqfj.jpg

Shimakaze%202_zpsjzgmkk5a.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, that Kintetsu Shimakaze looks great! I may need to overcome my Kato bias and pick this one up! A bit off topic, but I'm hoping Tomix will start making bogie/wheel sets that run as quiet as Kato's. All my Tomix sets are the power-coupled Shinkansens, and the wheels definitely rattle more than the Kato sets. Funny thing is my little ones prefer the louder Tomix sets cuz they say it sounds more like a real train. Haha.

I assume standard Testor's acrylic paint should do the trick? Or is there some other paint that is best for the interior seats?

Not sure if you're speaking of modeling acrylics specifically, but I personally prefer Lifecolor and Tamiya acrylics to Testors for hand-brushing - in my experience they both handle better and require fewer coats. (Lifecolor has by far the wider color selection of the two, but isn't available as widely.)

Krackle hopper,

Can't wait for picts of the interior detailing, I've always wanted to do that!

I totally agree that interior lighting then demands adding passengers and then a bit more interior detaining as its now pointing it out to the eye and lighting the interior that you could not see before!

Also dimming the interior lighting to a point where it's not a nuclear meltdown going on w,in the car! Lighting is hard to scale properly and tricky to get realy nice, but I think very worth using pots (with a fixed resistor to set the top led voltage) in cars to be able to keep tweaking the light levels.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Also dimming the interior lighting to a point where it's not a nuclear meltdown going on w,in the car! Lighting is hard to scale properly and tricky to get realy nice, but I think very worth using pots (with a fixed resistor to set the top led voltage) in cars to be able to keep tweaking the light levels.

Jeff

I agree... That is what I suck at Jeff... Now the Shimakaze looks like a nuclear meltdown...  :P

Some more nice trains that looks great with interior lighting:

Irodori_zpshv9rw6yu.jpg

The 485 series Irodori... This train comes with default seats painted with the white on the top to signify the seat head rest (in fact most MA limited trains come with this nice touch too) and also compartments section, that looks great with interior lighting!

(Weird thing the whole train was fitted with warm white lighting, but the front car looks like it is fitted with a pure white one...)

E653%20Hitachi_zpss4yyo0uy.jpg

The E653 Fresh Hitachi looks good too with the seats interior

20150808_201630_zpsbzg52xab.jpg

And of course the Ben'etsu Monogatari set, shown here with my first attempt of placing people inside trains... This carriage comes with an observation end hence it is crucial to place humans inside viewing at the passing scenery!

• Like 2

I am in the process of installing lights and interiors into my Kato Twilight Express and I love it!

Like you said about the beige interior and lights is definitely true, and the Twilight Express has that plain beige interior.  However, I managed to pick up a set of the N Goya interior detail kits for the Twilight Express.  All the colors inside lit up along with the dining car that uses table lamps.. fantastic!

Unfortunately the process is slow going, I only have 2 of my 10 cars done.  It'll be a while before I manage to detail the whole set.

I bought the N Goya interior detail kit for my Kato Cassiopeia and it really brings out the detail in each cabin with the wood veneer walls and the TV screens built into the wall. It did take me a very long time to add to the full 12 cars when you have to cover each wall, bed and carpet so I wish you luck with your Twilight Express KH.  I added the Kato lighting kit especially made for the Cassiopeia, my only issue that it uses filament bulbs rather than LEDs, but it does look impressive seeing both decks lit up with full interior décor.

My favourite lit train is my Kato Legend Collection 581 series Gekko (10-1140). This has the added bunk and blind pack that Roundhouse released (28-190) and makes the train look really good. I followed Kato's recommendation to have some window slightly open and some fully closed to add a bit of realism.  The light shining through the blinds looks really nice even though the top bunks fall just over the windows.

http://www.katomodels.com/hobbycenter/product/assy/000477.php

post-2039-0-80401000-1440798641_thumb.png

post-2039-0-84543200-1440798652_thumb.png

post-2039-0-30531700-1440798680_thumb.png

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 3

What a coincidence as the Kato 253 and Wide View Hida are my two favorite lighted trains. Actually they are my only trains that have interior lighting as they are factory installed. Haha!

On 8/27/2015 at 5:32 PM, Kamome said:

I bought the N Goya interior detail kit for my Kato Cassiopeia and it really brings out the detail in each cabin with the wood veneer walls and the TV screens built into the wall. It did take me a very long time to add to the full 12 cars when you have to cover each wall, bed and carpet so I wish you luck with your Twilight Express KH.  I added the Kato lighting kit especially made for the Cassiopeia, my only issue that it uses filament bulbs rather than LEDs, but it does look impressive seeing both decks lit up with full interior décor.

I called myself doing a search for the Goya kit mentioned above, but did not have any luck.  Does someone have a link or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Ronin

Not seen these around for a while, but occasionally come across the odd set for other Tomix or Kato blue trains from time to time. Annoyingly, you usually need 2 or 3 parts to complete the train. One for the seats and carpet, one for the wall details etc..

Looks like they've not changed their name but the translation wasn't great. These are the same. http://www.1999.co.jp/10203123 by Enu Koya. Make sure you get all the necessary sets if you want all the textures. Also make sure you get the relevant Kato or Tomix versions depending on what your model is.

Looks like they do some nice fabric curtains for HO blue trains now too not to mention some loco cab interior sheets.