Greetings From North Carolina!

LA5344

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now as a guest, finally decided to jump in with a proper account.

While the majority of my model collecting is devoted to HO, I have recently taken the plunge into N scale, with a focus on acquiring some non stateside equipment...In HO this would result in a very sore wallet, N seemed to be an attractive alternative. 

The first piece I picked up was a used Kato D51 from Ebay...After that point, I had already crossed the threshold of no return, my inner cheap-skate begging me not to go crazy.. This of course led me further into the ever intriguing realm of Japanese N scale. As of now, my roster consists of a Kato C62-18, C58, D51 Hokkaido, and Tomix EF510-100 in the midst of mixed American rolling stock. In terms of layout, I am limited to a temporary setup of Unitrack, with a small wharf module in the works..For a returning college student, this is ideal to satisfy my need to tinker with something physical after classes, usual social activities, and studying.

So far I have learned quite a bit from browsing the various boards, and viewed brilliant layout and scenery work.

Generally I post new equipment videos/reviews on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SCL3618

I look forward to chatting and learning more from you guys! 

Cheers,

-Logan

Welcome Logan! So sorry to hear that you have caught the disease, sorry there seems to be little hope of a cure, welcome to the forum of the damned to love Japanese trains!

I think you will find the selection of different kinds of Japanese trains mind blowing and they are an excellent bang for the buck (especially right now with the strong dollar!) having great quality and value.

Keep us posted on your evolution! There a few other college students like yourself having fun with Japanese model trains as a break from studies.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now as a guest, finally decided to jump in with a proper account.

While the majority of my model collecting is devoted to HO, I have recently taken the plunge into N scale, with a focus on acquiring some non stateside equipment...In HO this would result in a very sore wallet, N seemed to be an attractive alternative.

The first piece I picked up was a used Kato D51 from Ebay...After that point, I had already crossed the threshold of no return, my inner cheap-skate begging me not to go crazy.. This of course led me further into the ever intriguing realm of Japanese N scale. As of now, my roster consists of a Kato C62-18, C58, D51 Hokkaido, and Tomix EF510-100 in the midst of mixed American rolling stock. In terms of layout, I am limited to a temporary setup of Unitrack, with a small wharf module in the works..For a returning college student, this is ideal to satisfy my need to tinker with something physical after classes, usual social activities, and studying.

So far I have learned quite a bit from browsing the various boards, and viewed brilliant layout and scenery work.

Generally I post new equipment videos/reviews on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SCL3618

I look forward to chatting and learning more from you guys!

Cheers,

-Logan

Amen to all of that! I'm a college student as well, times get tough with trains lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Welcome! I also (re)started with Japanese model trains as a student a few years ago and never let go again.

Now I even moved to Japan to be able to enjoy the lower prices, create my own, getting involved in the local garage manufacturing scene, and actually ride those I have in miniature. All this is not entirely true, but it's part of the package of deciding to move to Japan. Beware that it can catch you beyond your own boundaries of imagination!

Amen to all of that! I'm a college student as well, times get tough with trains lol

That they do! It seemed every time I visited home freshman year, I had to tinker with some sort of tangible project..Repainting engines, assembling a kit, etc. 

The only model I kept in dormroom was an old Athearn Bluebox switcher, sat on my desk with a few diecast cars..  Out of everyone that popped into our room, I never once was questioned about its placement lol. 

• Like 1

Welcome Logan! So sorry to hear that you have caught the disease, sorry there seems to be little hope of a cure, welcome to the forum of the damned to love Japanese trains!

I think you will find the selection of different kinds of Japanese trains mind blowing and they are an excellent bang for the buck (especially right now with the strong dollar!) having great quality and value.

Keep us posted on your evolution! There a few other college students like yourself having fun with Japanese model trains as a break from studies.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the welcome!

Bah, I believe it's one of the only diseases that ends up doing some good...Perhaps not for the budget, but definitely for the mind. 

Certainly will do! This forum seems to be a rather positive place for feedback..Albeit being my first attempt at scenery (and on a budget), it won't be anything too mind blowing. 

I seem to be the niche "train/car guy" on campus, but luckily most of my friends don't mind. If anything they have found it neat, and have actually asked decent questions about my hobbies. 

That they do! It seemed every time I visited home freshman year, I had to tinker with some sort of tangible project..Repainting engines, assembling a kit, etc.

The only model I kept in dormroom was an old Athearn Bluebox switcher, sat on my desk with a few diecast cars.. Out of everyone that popped into our room, I never once was questioned about its placement lol.

Nice, I had a kato unitrack loop running around my desk. I had a lot of questions, especially with the E4 sitting on it people were quite amused lol.

Welcome Logan!

I already 're-caught' the train bug with Japanese trains just before college, but the disease started spreading mainly during college. I'm sorta known as the 'train guy' on campus now too, but nobody really cares about it. Not in a negative way, but not in a positive way either. I can't really blame them though, because everyone has their own hobbies and interests after all. For talking about our hobby this forum exists after all. :)

Welcome Logan!

I already 're-caught' the train bug with Japanese trains just before college, but the disease started spreading mainly during college. I'm sorta known as the 'train guy' on campus now too, but nobody really cares about it. Not in a negative way, but not in a positive way either. I can't really blame them though, because everyone has their own hobbies and interests after all. For talking about our hobby this forum exists after all. :)

Thanks for the welcome! 

Yes indeed, that's the nice thing about college; regardless of interest or background, most people will at least try to get to know you for you, and not pre-judge solely from interests.  

Though I have had some fun, especially when people end up asking me what subjects I like to photograph, whenever that comes up in conversation (My general icebreaker interests are golf, cars, and photography). Trains always get an interesting reaction once people get to know me, but I do enjoy showing off some of my more unique shots-    http://csx5344.deviantart.com/art/Sunset-Steam-II-456860734  

Logan,

That's some very nice photography!

Jeff

Thank you very much!     

Apologies for the delayed reply,  managed to get caught up with a few things in preparation for the move back to campus..Trying to get everything knocked out early! 

In the meantime, the bug has spread..Ordered and assembled my first B-Train Shorty yesterday, needless to say it will not be the last one. 

I've been taking  a few photos of my roster, hope to eventually get the shots edited and shared on the proper forum board. 

• Like 1

Uh oh, you caught a case of the Btrain shrty bug! They are addicting and very nice bits of fun to assemble and play with and build up slowly as you get funds to motorized and upgrade. Modeltrainplus plus has a bunch on sale as well he is clearing out.

Also check out nick yee's article on his mini layout, you can do sharper radius turns with the btrains so maybe a micro layout for your dorm room!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

Cheers

Jeff