Tetsuko no Tabi

By far better IMHO, that Rail Wars. It's a bit dated now, having been released in 2006-2007 time frame.But, it's all hard core train, not big boobs and a wimpy MC.Based on the real life of Super Otaku, Hirohiko Yokomi,

Sadly, the original site is now gone with a little blurb in its place. The series was heavily financed and sponsored by TOMIX.

Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuko_no_Tabi

All 13 episodes subbed: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFkHGufT5VOLwe4TpSblaoSRg2Z_UoM9M

Edited by 写真家
  • Like 5

Oh... Interesting! Hirohiko Yokomi is the famous tetsudo fan cum writer that have visited every station in Japan, interesting to see an anime after him!

Strange it is heavily sponsored by Tomix... Maybe Hirohiko san got much N scale trains as a sponsorship too?  :)

I only watched the first three episodes.  A little on the boring side.  I did like the banter and jokes though.  I found myself giggling a times watching.  No guns, no boobs, no explosions though.

Hey I watched like 2 episodes of this and i'm in love with this!

Does that make me a true Tetsudo fan?  Haha

It's quite true to life actually, where Yokomi san was portrayed exactly like he is in real life. I've watched episodes of him in Japan hour on 'Gokutabi' where guests are called to go on 'Devil' (Goku) trips with Yokomi san that will bring them to unmanned stations and secret railway locations... The guests were exactly like the manga portrayed - bored, shocked, little angry at what's so interesting about a train journey and enjoyed the journey so much in the end.. With good food of course! 

I'm saving this manga for future viewings...

Thanks 写真家 san for the sharing!

By the way, I like how the trains are drawn, very accurate! The 185 series, 205 series, 209 series even the Kiha-110 etc were really drawn professionally!  

On the 2nd episode, they travelled the Itto-rokken route for only 130yen, travelling through 6 prefectures around Tokyo. Is THAT really possible??

Edited by JR 500系

Here's something a little extra, Yokomi san in real life! This seems to be a making video of the Tetsuko no Tabi anime:

Notice at 06:49 & 07:02, I finally understood when 写真家 san said this was heavily sponsored by Tomix ~~  :)

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

The series came out about 9 years ago, and a guy back then subbed it, but it was never really up on the usual boards. I was grateful someone posted the subs from back then to YT. I hadn't watched TnT in about eight years so was glad to find it again recently. The manga is just as amusing, but is told from an "after the fact" standpoint of their travels. Yokomi is far from his anime self IRL.

A follow up, half of my icons, und user titles since I joined this board in 2007 came from this series.

Ep11 mentions a Yatakegoe Station on the Hisatsu Line in reference to window views.  Is it call something different nowadays?  They don't mean Yatake do they?

Edited by katoftw

I watch ep4-6.  Was this guy happy about the way he was portrayed in the anime?

Hadn't heard any rumblings back in the day about Yokomi publicly annoyed about his portrayal on 2chan. He use to be quite active on there. (I miss the days I use to be somewhat about to follow a discussion on there)

I've only watched till episode 10, but the first 7 episodes seem to only featured trains from JR East, like Tohoku shinkansen, Yamagata shinkansen, Sendai line, Lines around Tokyo etc. I almost wanted to ask why was only JR East featured until episode 8 which talked about iida line by JR Central and episode 9 was a private line Kurihara Railway, & episode 10 had a glimpse of JR West in the form of Nozomi Shinkansen to Okayama and then JR Shikoku...

Which made me think, is this anime endorsed by JR? It had to be, since all the trains drawn proudly used JR markings... By the way I loved how the trains are drawn, really nice and accurate...

This anime is more enjoyable for me as compared to Rail Wars which was more centred on Bosoms, Violence, Love and others more than trains...

Shikoku and Kyushu/Hisatsu Line feature in later episodes you haven't watched if only up to ep10.  The Tohoku love fest was getting a little boring.

I wouldn't say the anime was bad.  But I wouldn't call it interesting.  If you were one of those Tetsu fans that loved stations, then you'd be in heaven.  There was times there I was so bored, I had to walk away and come back later to finish a episode.

The characters are difficult to watch.  A station loving tetsu nerd that is completely socially inept and remind me of how I was when I was 12 with the opposite sex.  I feel sorry for him, but also disgusted any 40 something old person is like this.  Or whether it is just a poor anime frictional portrayal of him.  Either way it is bad, and why I asked him he was happy with his portrayal in this anime originally?

Then a manga artist whom suffers at the hands of the nerd.  She is only there for the money, and it is also sad to watch he suffer.  But the humour surrounding here when she is angry is the highlight of this otherwise boring and slow paced anime.

Edited by katoftw
Davo Dentetsu

Shikoku and Kyushu/Hisatsu Line feature in later episodes you haven't watched if only up to ep10.  The Tohoku love fest was getting a little boring.

I wouldn't say the anime was bad.  But I wouldn't call it interesting.  If you were one of those Tetsu fans that loved stations, then you'd be in heaven.  There was times there I was so bored, I had to walk away and come back later to finish a episode.

The characters are difficult to watch.  A station loving tetsu nerd that is completely socially inept and remind me of how I was when I was 12 with the opposite sex.  I feel sorry for him, but also disgusted any 40 something old person is like this.  Or whether it is just a poor anime frictional portrayal of him.  Either way it is bad, and why I asked him he was happy with his portrayal in this anime originally?

Then a manga artist whom suffers at the hands of the nerd.  She is only there for the money, and it is also sad to watch he suffer.  But the humour surrounding here when she is angry is the highlight of this otherwise boring and slow paced anime.

Well... everyone's different I guess.  Honest portrayals of both the protagonist and also the artist probably made the show much more appealing for me.  So she isn't a train buff and she has no problem voicing dissent on it.  It boils down to a classic "misfit gang" story, the type many people like to see.  So for me I thought this was good.  Not the best, but again... everyone differs.  :)

If that lady was like that for real, I feel sorry for Yokomi.  I've looked at the places he's been going to and none of them have been train nut places with no redeeming features.  In fact almost all of the places, with the exception of the Tsurumi Line have been interesting in their own right.  Bu that lady is so caught up in her "well he's a train nerd" to see what's in front of her nose.