squeaky wheels

jrcrunch

Well - but the internal rotating surfaces ;-)

Something to check is if the truck sideframes are too tight on one or both axles, causing this.

Non motor car, correct?

Just a touch of light weight bearing oil to the pointy ends of the axles and their truck pockets should of it. Labelles works well. Use a toothpick and apply a tiny bit and run and repeat until the squeak is gone. Too much can lead to picking up smutz eventually!

Jeff

• Like 1

I know that I've lost some of my hearing, especially at high frequencies, but I couldn't hear any squeaking in the video.

I know that I've lost some of my hearing, especially at high frequencies, but I couldn't hear any squeaking in the video.

Certainly not above metal wheels rolling over rail joints :-)

trying using your headphones

There is a squeak there that dies not sound like wheels on track unless one of the wheel sets is getting locked up sometimes. Do check all wheels are rotating well and won't sinch up in some position.

Jeff

Periodic squeeking, sounds like the power pickups are scraping the wheel. Can be a bent brass pickup plate or similar.

oh no... is this from the motor again? 

Periodic squeeking, sounds like the power pickups are scraping the wheel. Can be a bent brass pickup plate or similar.

checked the other day. all cars are fine except for the 1st car. motor car is also fine and quiet

here's the vid.  the squeky sound only happens in one direction

Edited by jrcrunch

Yeah I'm guessing it's the pickups on the wheels making the noise since its in one direction, have you looked at them at all or poked at them with a tooth pick to see if one of them is tweaked at a funny angle into the wheel? Did you try any light weight oil on the journals (pointy ends of the axle). Just try a tiny bit with a toothpick.mthe directionality though does suggest the pickups.

Jeff

sorry what do you mean by pickups?

I see you are waiting for a reply, so let me give you one.  The pickups are copper strips which actually contact the inside of the wheels themselves - thus power is transmitted from wheels to motor via these very fine copper strips.

To be truthful, I couldn't hear anything like a squeak, but then my hearing is probably no good in higher frequencies much like 'Ozman' stated earlier on this post.

I would be cautious with poking anything in where these strips are - you may do more damage than you'd think.

I think I would just run this set until everything 'beds' in - the problem may just cure itself by use.

The pickup strips usually have a v bend in the end so the point of the v is against the wheel. This way going either direction is sort of a smooth point against the wheel.mbut sometimes they get bent do the end of the strip is against the wheel so in one direction ist smooth sailing but in the other the wheel surface is turning into the very end of the strip and thus much more friction and a potential squeak.

Don't oil the pickup strips as this is to conduct electricty and the layer of oil can disrupt this. There are some conductive lubricants that could be used,mbut this should not be necessary on wheel pickups. I'm really guessing one of the pickups is sort of out of shape in the car and rubbing funny and squeaking. It's the most directional thing that could be happening in a truck like that.

Cheers

Jeff