Hitachi Rail Europe HSR trainset interior/exterior concepts

bikkuri bahn

trainsforever8

Oh...my...god.... This train is absolutely gorgeous! I wish that it gets ordered by a railway company just so that I can ride it! It's amazing.

All I see when I look at it old tech A-train chassis and TEMU1000 tilting mechs.  The video just makes it seems like Europe is being offered cutting edge tech.

If it can reach the 250 mph (400 km/h) top speed for HSR2, then it's cutting edge. If they are just class 800/801 variants (with a maximum speed of just 125 mph, 250 km/h), then they are just limited expresses, like the white sonic and other trains. The HSR1 has trains with a service top speed of 186 mph (300 km/h). Imho the japanese design should at least match this, which would put them in level with most newer european high speed trains.

So we are talking shinkansen speeds.  No limited expresses in Japan, especially 800/801s come close to 250kph.  That is only 20kph off most revenue shinkansen speeds.

Edited by katoftw

That's a surprise, as even loco hauled conventional sets, running on 100 year old high speed lines can reach 230 km/h. Pre WWII european HSR was at 160 km/h (both steam hauled and multiple unit).

I think i'll just write a table here:

-normal 'slow' trains: 50-120 km/h

-mini shinkansen: 130 km/h (on converted legacy routes)

-commuter trains: 160 km/h (some are still run with slam door ex-steam stock!)

-legacy tracks loco hauled HSR: 220-230 km/h (Cities Sprinter - Railjet)

-Acela express: 240 km/h

-UK, Swiss, Russian intercity: 230-250 km/h (class 800/801, limited express)

-TGV: 300 km/h

-HSR1: 300 km/h (UK channel tunnel link, uses TGV technology)

-Shinkansen: 270-320 km/h

-German HSR: 320 km/h

-HSR2: 400 km/h (planned UK north-south line)

The 250 km/h seems to be the current practical maximum for legacy standard gauge lines, while 300-320 km/h seems to be the current economical limit for dedicated high speed rail. The Hitachi sets have to be in the latter category or even up to 400 km/h to be competitive with the Siemens Velaro E sets.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was focused on 160kph speeds, and not 270kph speeds.  I didn't realize the UK have the infrastruction to allow those higher speeds.