Garden Layout

wartsilaone

wartsilanone - this is an interesting thread in that's it's unique.....I for one have never seen a garden railroad like yours!

I'm working on a feeder station for the Chisai shinkansen. I purchased the tomix sub station but it's not really suitable as it is so I'm using some of the parts create a beefed up version which will be added next to the railway soon. I've adapted some truss catenery poles to make this structure which distributes the power cables to the overhead wires.

]I've also acquired full sets of an E5 and E6, just waiting for the post. To store the extra trains when I want to run something else I've started work on a station long enough for seventeen cars.  

post-3214-0-44648500-1441810257_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've been working on the area at the bottom of the garden under the tree. This will be the site of the station, as you can see it's been completely enclosed to stop the leaves falling on the track but it will of course shield it from the elements.post-3214-0-32457600-1443293645_thumb.jpg

A little video from today.

Happy modelling my friends.

Alastair

• Like 1

Alastair,

I finally meet an Alastair! We did a kids book series called Alistair (the main character) onto CD-ROM a long time back and had never met Alistair, but we used the name so much it was like I knew one closely my whole life after a few months as we used the name so much every day!

Looking very nice, love the retreat in the back to sit and have a glass of wine and watch the train speed by!

I assume it's loop backs on each end there in the corners?

So nice to have such long prototypical straight runs that you rarely get on layouts! Usually for most of us it's maybe 4-6 feet then bam a curv... Sometimes the local ntrak club runs a few shinkansens and we get to see them on 50' straight runs (normally boring on regular trains on ntrak but much more fun with speeding shinkansens!)

How is the track holding up to the outside use? Really curious about this in the long run! Thanks for keeping us posted!

Cheers

Jeff

That's right 500, acrylic sheet it is. Only time will tell about the track. Many British modellers have successfully run OO/HO in gardens for many years, most being open to the elements. I am planning to replace the awnings with a more permanent covering, Probably some conservatory type roof glazing.  

I'll post a video later, shot from the centre of the garden which will show how long the run is and you'll get a better impression of the railway lay out.  

Right now I'm working on the sub sectioning post.

Alastair

post-3214-0-58496900-1443620575_thumb.jpg

great video! funa s always, looks like a very enjoyable back yard!

so will you cover up tracks for the winter or will they just stay exposed?

what camera did you use for the train pov shots? looked like the ccd was taped tot he nose of the E4!

its so cool seeing long shinkansens go down log straight stretches in scenery that looks like a shinkansen like (we usually only see this happen on large n trak layouts now and then and never looks right with the scenery around it...)

cheers

jeff

Hi Jeff, Yes it's great to sit and watch the trains, the only problem is there are so many vantage points that I keep wanting change seats.

The tracks will be covered when I get around to constructing a roof which will replace the awnings. My current idea is to make the roof from wood and install LED strip lights underneath.

The on board shots were taken with one of those £6 cigarette lighter spy cams tapped to an E4 chassis.   

wartsilaone

Hand painted weathering technique Jeff. The grey primer I used stayed clean over the winter. It's hard to find a good concrete colour. The weathering allows the use of darker, more readily available shades of grey.