Indian Railways seeking long distance EMU trainsets

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Intriguing development:

In line with railway minister Suresh Prabu’s announcement in this year’s railway budget on acquiring electrical multiple units (EMU)-based train sets for intercity journeys, the Indian Railways has floated global tenders worth Rs 2,500 crore, involving the procurement-cum-maintenance of 15 EMU sets.

The selected bidder would require to manufacture and supply about 15 EMU train sets comprising 315 rail cars, sources said, adding 23 companies including Hitachi India, Toshiba, BHEL, Siemens, Medha Servo Drives and Alstom participated in the pre-application conference held by the railway ministry on Wednesday.

EMU train sets will operate at speeds ranging from 130-160 km per hour.The railways proposes to introduce in the near future these modern EMU train sets for running premium the Shatabdi and Rajdhani trains, without any additional expenditure on existing track and signalling infrastructure.

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/railways-floats-r2500-crore-tender-for-high-speed-train-sets/93836/

I wonder if the Japanese rolling stock builders will leverage their experience of building emu sleeper trains (285 series and antecedent designs) to gain a marketing advantage.

• Like 1

I cannot see EMUs running on Indian railways at 130-160kph.  Unless their network has improved last I looked.

And if my calculations are correct, then they will be 21 car consists?

Will this be India's best attempt at HSR?

Also interesting they are looking outside their country since they have the means to produce train inside their own borders nowadays.

Edited by katoftw

I think they will be 15 consists with either 20 (sleepers) or 16 (sitting) cars in length. India already runs commuter EMU at 120kph (Bombardier produced) and The New Delhi Habibganj Shatabdi Express (or Bohpal Shatadbdi Express) already runs at 155kph and is planned for an upgrade to 200kph, so why not EMU?

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Yes, the tradition of running very long trains is to be maintained.  I wonder if this is indicative of lack of competition, i.e. typically in corridors where there is competition with other modes, the practice is to run frequent but often shorter consists.

bikkuri bahn

Additional companies showing interest:

While five companies including Toshiba, Kawasaki, Hitachi and Sojith have participated in the bidding process, Germany-based Siemens, Canada-based Bombardier, Hyundai from South Korea, Alstom from France, Transmashholding from Moscow have joined the competition.

Two Chinese companies, one from Spain have also shown interest in the project.

Besides two PSUs - BEML and BHEL - are also in the bidding race.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/6213003_14-global-players-among-23-firms-join--Train-Sets--race.html

Older article about the maintenance contract, which will be provided by the manufacturer.  This has met resistance from the unions, similar to what is happening with the IEP project in the UK now and the strike on Great Western.

New Delhi: In a major shift, the Indian Railway has decided to hand over maintenance of Train Sets it has proposed to buy to the private player which would supply the rakes, a responsibility hitherto shouldered by the public transporter.

According to the conditions in the bidding document, the selected bidder will manufacture and supply 15 EMU Train Sets comprising about 315 rail cars over a period of about 4-5 years and undertake maintenance thereafter for seven years.

The maintenance of a train involves checking of the braking system, wheel, bogies, ACs, electrical equipment, pantograph, electric motors and cleaning among others.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industries/article-indian-railways-loco-free-train-sets-to-be-maintained-by-private-player-773800

Edited by bikkuri bahn
Nick_Burman

Yes, the tradition of running very long trains is to be maintained.  I wonder if this is indicative of lack of competition, i.e. typically in corridors where there is competition with other modes, the practice is to run frequent but often shorter consists.

BB,

I was in India in 2006. The road network is atrocious (although it has improved a lot since I was there) and flying is out of the question for a lot of people ($$$$), ergo trains...and very long ones...

Cheers NB

Curious as our new trains for Brisbane are being built in India.  This, "without any additional expenditure on existing track and signalling infrastructure", is also interesting as our new Indian trains will be too long to fit existing storage yards and many signals will have to be altered so they can be sighted from the cabs of the new trains, among many other operational and safety issues still to be figured out.

Edited by westfalen
bikkuri bahn

More info about the project:

NEW DELHI: Seven consortiums involving global companies including from China, Japan and Germany are in the race to bag the Rs 2,500 crore Train Set project in India.

A total of 14 companies have submitted applications for participating in the bid for procuring 15 EMU train sets, a first for Indian Railways, a senior Railway Ministry official involved with the project said today.German firm Siemens has applied alone while Japan's Kawasaki and Toshiba have formed a consortium with Indian PSU BHEL. Hitachi, another Japanese major, has staked its claim for the ambitious railway project with Spanish Ansal Do.

South Korean Rotem and Japanese Melco have formed consortium to participate in the bidding process.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/railways/train-set-project-chinese-japanese-cos-among-7-consortiums-in-race/articleshow/48584998.cms

*Hitachi acquired Italian firm Ansaldo. Melco is Mitsubishi Electric, S. Korean rolling stock builders still are dependent on foreign electrical suppliers, and Mitsubishi has long had a hand in kickstarting S. Korean industries, namely steel (Posco) and automobiles (Hyundai).

Edited by bikkuri bahn
trainsforever8

More info about the project:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/railways/train-set-project-chinese-japanese-cos-among-7-consortiums-in-race/articleshow/48584998.cms

*Hitachi acquired Italian firm Ansaldo. Melco is Mitsubishi Electric, S. Korean rolling stock builders still are dependent on foreign electrical suppliers, and Mitsubishi has long had a hand in kickstarting S. Korean industries, namely steel (Posco) and automobiles (Hyundai).

Very interesting to see that some consortiums have already been formed!

bikkuri bahn

Another news source:

Indian Railways (IR) has received bids from seven consortiums for an Rs25bn ($379m) contract for procuring and maintaining 15 electric multiple unit (EMU) train sets.

The confirmed bidders include China-based Zhuzhou Electric and Zhuzhou Times Electric; Alstom-Belm consortium; Hitachi-AnsaldoBreda; Hyundai Rotem-Melco; Kawasaki-Toshiba-Bhel; CAF-Bombardier and Siemens.

A tender-evaluation committee of senior officials of the Indian Railways would examine and evaluate the request for quotation (RFQs) of the seven consortiums.

http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsindian-railways-receives-bids-from-seven-manufactures-for-379m-emu-tender-4655109

latest news, note the bidders have been whittled down to five:

Indian Railways plans to buy two types of trainsets — one comprising 20 rail cars with Sleeper (AC-1, 2 and 3-tier) and16 with Chair Cars

New Delhi, November 12:  

The Railways will open the financial bids to procure trainsets on December 21. The five bidders who have qualified for the project are Alstom-BEML, CAF-Bombardier, Hitachi-Ansaldo, Kawasaki-Toshiba-BHEL and Siemens. The trainsets are proposed to be used for introduction of Rajdhani/Shatabdi type of services.

After awarding locomotive projects to Alstom and GE recently, the Railways has kick-started the process to procure 17 trainsets, comprising 316 railcars. Trainsets are like Metro coaches with distributive power.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/logistics/railways-to-open-financial-bids-for-trainsets-on-dec-21/article7869952.ece

*The trainsets are proposed to be used for introduction of Rajdhani/Shatabdi type of services.

for those interested in the types of services:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-Shatabdi-Express-Jan-Shatabdi-Express-Rajdhani-Express-a-Duronto-Express-the-Golden-Chariot-and-Garib-Rath-Express-in-Indian-Railways

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Recent news:

Indian Railways’ ambitious Rs 2500 cr trainset project, a part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ programme has suffered a setback as the shortlisted bidders have sought more time and changes in the bidding documents before submitting the financial bids.

Railways had floated global tenders in June last year for procurement, maintenance and manufacture of a total of 316 coaches for 17 transets for faster inter-city travel.

[...]

Now bidders want the number of coaches to increase from 316 to 1,000 as they feel just 300 plus is not adequate enough for them to set up shops here for manufacturing purpose, according to sources.

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/setback-for-indian-railways-trainset-project-as-bidders-seek-more-time-check-irctc-co-in/199830/

I don't understand why they are looking for tenders outside their own country.  Recently rail works has moved to India and is exported.  So why wouldn't they just do it themselves?

They should also improve urban and suburban trains...

C'mon these are running since the '30s!  They even haven't doors!

Mumbai_suburban_railway_emu_5.JPG

I don't always say "this train should be removed from service" but when i do it's because it s***s.

Edited by DavideTreni

They should also improve urban and suburban trains...

C'mon these are running since the '30s!  They even haven't doors!

I don't always say "this train should be removed from service" but when i do it's because it s***s.

Not quite. The 1930's trains were wooden, these are steel. The basic design dates from the 1960's or so but many were built quite recently. As for the doors, they do exist - they are just not used (not even during monsoon season) and don't have a pneumatic closing/opening mechanism so they can't be closed remotely. Anyway any attempt at closing the doors would result in a national riot!

Cheers NB

Those trains do have doors, but manual ones and people just don't close them. On this picture at least one door is closed: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mt-LeXExWDM/VXhZ_tFmABI/AAAAAAAAg2M/9BZ48jPMKbY/s1600/Tirumailai_MRTS_station_Chennai_%2528Madras%2529.jpg

I think it's almost certainly closed because this is a dabbawalla (a private lunch delivery service) designated compartment. These are the only people that enjoy a special status amongst the commuter crowds.

Re. the open doors, in a Japanese article about the challenges of marketing rolling stock in India (was in a newspaper or magazine, I can't recall), one of the reasons given for this practice was that the flowing saris worn by women would get caught in the closing doors and result in accidents.

Re. the open doors, in a Japanese article about the challenges of marketing rolling stock in India (was in a newspaper or magazine, I can't recall), one of the reasons given for this practice was that the flowing saris worn by women would get caught in the closing doors and result in accidents.

Wow.. unbelievable the women saris will be hard to beat for closed doors of rolling stock.. Think it's hard enough to compromise the Indian tradition with railway safety...