"Ban'etsu Monogatari" SL excursion train with JNR Class C61 20

Sacto1985

YouTube member kazu9521--who has a done many excellent videos of SL steam train excursions in Japan, recently posted a video of the Ban'etsu Monogatari SL excursion train running between Niigata and Aizu-Wakamatsu on the JR East Ban'etsu West Line:

Note that the train this year (2015) uses JNR Class C61 20 as the locomotive, as the JNR Class C57 180 normally used for this train is currently in repair (and I believe being overhauled).

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1

Good to see the C61-20 getting a bit more use instead of sitting around at Takasaki sharing jobs with others.

I've been slowly collecting the Takasaki Depot locomotives, now this Ban'Etsu is on the list.  Damn you. haha

Edited by katoftw

Ahah! SL Ban'etsu Monogatari!

I was watching this train set for the past month and finally took the plunge to get the Tomix 98933, which is the most expensive single set I have ever gotten for N scale train... The packaging and the steam loco together with the carriages with those beautiful observation cars simply blew me away....

I also decided to get a Tomix DE10 to go along with this too... Since there happens to be a DL Ban'etsu Monogatari too:

• Like 1
Ochanomizu

Hello Mr JR500,

Did you know know there is also an EF version of Ban'etsu Monogatari ?

EF64-37 and EF64-1001 are known to pull Ban'etsu Monogatari.  The usual configuration is to have one loco at each end, so that one operates as a banking engine.

I have Tomix 92877, 9110 and 9118, especially to make up this consist.  EF64-37 is usually at Kofu, Yamanashi-ken on standby for miscellaneous shunting duties.  Both locos belong to the Takasaki operations office (not Takasaki engine depot).

• Like 1

Hello Mr JR500,

Did you know know there is also an EF version of Ban'etsu Monogatari ?

EF64-37 and EF64-1001 are known to pull Ban'etsu Monogatari.  The usual configuration is to have one loco at each end, so that one operates as a banking engine.

I have Tomix 92877, 9110 and 9118, especially to make up this consist.  EF64-37 is usually at Kofu, Yamanashi-ken on standby for miscellaneous shunting duties.  Both locos belong to the Takasaki operations office (not Takasaki engine depot).

Ahah!

Thanks Ochanomizu san! I think I know what you mean:

There is also another version without the EF64-1001,only for '回送' or returning trips.

Thanks for the part numbers too! Now I know what to look out for! Cheers! :)

* Just curious the formation with the 2 EFs always seem to only have 6 cars, missing the centre salon car Okha 12 1701. I wonder why...

Edited by JR 500系

In the video in the original post.  Not all the tracks of overhead lines.  So when using the ELs, they only run part of the Ban-Etsu Line?

I know when JRE runs trains from Takasaki to Yokokawa they normally have a SL and one end, and either a DL or EL on the other.  Or various other combos.  But that line is completely electrified.

JR500 - The EF64-1001 both Tomix and Kato do.  The EF65-500s both Tomix and Kato do also.  The EF65-500s come as a passenger and freight version.  JRE uses the passenger version for their excursion trains.

I already have the 65 as already started collecting the Takasaki depot trains, the 64 is on the list to buy in the future.  Also the C61-20 might be in my hand by this time tomorrow.  And still trying to locate a DD51-842 and/or DD51-800 for a acceptable (to me) price.

And I'll just leave this here cos I can:-

152581062_624.jpg

Edited by katoftw

* Just curious the formation with the 2 EFs always seem to only have 6 cars, missing the centre salon car Okha 12 1701. I wonder why...

Originally this service was only 6 cars.  Maybe the saloon car was added later, could be older videos.  Someone a lot more knowledgible will know a better answer.

bikkuri bahn

You can tailor the length of the consist in line with passenger demand and any service/maintenance requirements.  The first Minakami Monogatari service of the year in April had a train of 5 coaches rather than 6.

Ochanomizu

Hello,

Firstly, I suggest to Mr JR500 that Tomix loco will fit better with Tomix Ban'etsu Monogatari car, but if you purchase Kato car then please use Kato loco.

Now, a few key points about Ban'etsu Monogatari:

From 1996 Ban'etsu Monogatari was a 6-car service, originally in the color brown and cream.

The 7th car was added for Christmas, 2000.  Suhafu 12-160 was remodelled to become Okha 12-1701.  However, in January 2001 it was running again as a 6-car train with C58-363 + EF58-61.  

For the next few years it was generally 7-cars headed by C57-180, except for Christmas 2003 when D51-498 was substituted due to boiler failur of C57-180.

Following the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake in October 2004 Ban'etsu Monogatari was headed by diesel loco for a month or two.

Early 2007 Ban'etsu Monogatari color was changed to dark blue in the Orient Express form.  Operation recommenced on April 28.

October 13, 2013, C57-180 suffered cylinder failure.  DE10-1124 was substituted.  Beware the 13th.

2014. Early that year the current paint system was applied.  

Steam locos known to have headed Ban'etsu Monogatari include C57-11, C57-180, C58-363, C61-20 (July 3rd 2011), D51-498

Electric locos known to have headed Ban'etsu Monogatari include ED75-777 (October 26th 2014), EF60-19 (March 3rd 2012), EF64-37, EF64-1001, EF64-1031 (March 3rd 2012), EF64-1051 (October 14th, 2014), EF65-501, EF81-151

Diesel locos known to have headed Ban'etsu Monogatari include DD51-745, DD51-895, DD53-2, DE10-1124, DE10-1680+DE10-1700, DE10-1700, KIHA58-28 (2012 Christmas Train)

So sorry the list is not complete, but it is all I can find on the blogs I follow.

• Like 2

JR500 - The EF64-1001 both Tomix and Kato do.  The EF65-500s both Tomix and Kato do also.  The EF65-500s come as a passenger and freight version.  JRE uses the passenger version for their excursion trains.

Thanks katoftw. That will be helpful. I'm intending to get one EF, probably the EF64-1001 for some EL fun. Good thing the Kato is still available (Tomix ones are long sold out...) and it uses the same Rapido coupler so it can be coupled to the carriages. 

That was most impressive Ochanomizu san! Thanks for the valuable information! I will start to see the corresponding models if they are available...

Edited by JR 500系

MTP has a Tomix EF64-37 on hand if you want it.  And I'm pretty sure that the Tomix EF65-501 is still on hand.  It was available when I brought my Kato version 2 months ago.  Might just get a retailer to order it in for you.

MTP has a Tomix EF64-37 on hand if you want it.  And I'm pretty sure that the Tomix EF65-501 is still on hand.  It was available when I brought my Kato version 2 months ago.  Might just get a retailer to order it in for you.

Thanks katoftw! I missed our online retailers out!  :P 

So should I get the EF64-37 or the EF64-1001? Correct me if I get this wrong but I think the EF64-37 is used for revenue service as EL together with EF66-501 (one front one back) and the EF64-1001 is only for pulling the set back to yards and not actual revenue service?

I think their duties are all rotated around.  As they are all heritage/preserved locos, they don't always do duties 365 days a year.  I don't think you'd go wrong mixing and matching.  As long as you aim for JRE Takasaki depot/operations locos.