The Takayama Line's KIHA40 and KIHA48 DMUs saw their last run on June 30th.  These were based at Mino-Ota.  They'll be replaced by KIHA25s removed from the Taketoyo Line following its electrification.  KIHA40s have already been removed from the Taita Line (anyone ever actually ride this? :))  From July 1st, all local service on the Takayama Line between Gifu and Inotani will be operated by KIHA25 and KIHA75 DMUs.  The last KIHA40 service was train 1731D which departed Gifu at 7:09 PM for Shimo-asō.

JR Central continues to run KIHA40s on the Kise and Sangu lines, but there are already plans to replace them with KIHA25s,  and plans to retire all JNR-era DMUs within the year.  There will be a public announcement regarding the transfer of retired DMUs to Myanmar.

http://railf.jp/news/2015/07/02/100000.html

Last run, 1731D at Gifu, by hakase1990:

8-car formation (not in service) moving from Mino-Ota Station to the yard.  Apparently these have Cummins engines.  By AKE BOVOAKE:
  • Like 3

Interesting. I didn't know what a Kiha-25 looks like; which is to be replacing the Kiha-40/47, until I searched on youtube:

They seem to be a Kiha version of the 313!  :)   Is there a model for this?

Wonder why the number is smaller than an older model; i.e. Kiha25 vs Kiha40...

Hokkaido is still running their Kiha 40s, right?

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

They seem to be a Kiha version of the 313!  :)   Is there a model for this?

Wonder why the number is smaller than an older model; i.e. Kiha25 vs Kiha40...

Hokkaido is still running their Kiha 40s, right?

I'm not aware of a KIHA25 n-gauge model, but you could just get a 313 and remove the pantograph :).  I'm not sure why they used number 25; JR East and West have both gone into the 100s for their recent DMUs.  Yes, Hokkaido is still running their KIHA40s.  There was just something on the jtrains mailing list about this, apparently JRH may run some until 2029.  Plenty of time :grin

They are really the diesel version of the 313 series, so besides removing the pantos, you have to add the exhaust pipes to where the ovearhead voltage cable come down between the cars on the electric variant. Btw. i think they should be called Kiha c25-s, like the JR East 231 series is called e231 series. I like the front end designs, they follow the classic JNR style.

The JR Central KiHa 25's were (I believe) originally built for the service from Nagoya to Taketoyo Stations, replacing the older KiHa 75 models. Since the electrification of the Taketoyo Line in March 2015, the KiHa 25's have been re-assigned to primarily the Takayama Main Line.

bikkuri bahn

JR Central continues to run KIHA40s on the Kise and Sangu lines

I always see a good number of these at Ise-shi Station and the rolling stock depot there, always from a Kintetsu train. I almost never use JR Tokai services in Mie Prefecture. 

I always see a good number of these at Ise-shi Station and the rolling stock depot there, always from a Kintetsu train. I almost never use JR Tokai services in Mie Prefecture. 

Well, unless you can ride the KiHa 85 limited express DMU trainset from Nagoya to Iseshi Station. :)

But seriously, why would you ride JR Central from Nagoya to Ise when you can ride the luxurious Shimakaze train from KIntetsu instead?

But seriously, why would you ride JR Central from Nagoya to Ise when you can ride the luxurious Shimakaze train from KIntetsu instead?

Probably folks who are using the seishun 18 ticket.  That was the only time I got down there on JR Central.  Or maybe at all...

Well, unless you can ride the KiHa 85 limited express DMU trainset from Nagoya to Iseshi Station. :)

Probably folks who are using the seishun 18 ticket.  That was the only time I got down there on JR Central.  Or maybe at all...

Or if one is using the JR Pass and didn't want to pay more, or when one couldn't book a ticket on the Shimakaze train... 

Actually the Kiha85 is kinda nice to ride along the line too ~ Large windows, beautiful scenery...

Why not take Kintetsu one way and JR the other? We are railfans after all.

I must admit I've never ridden the Kintetsu all the way to Ise, it's one of the many things still on my to do list.

• Like 1

Guess this explains the flood of JR-Tokai KIHA40 pix to my Instagram feed this past week or so,

Glad they have a future, shame its in Burma though.

Edited by 写真家

The Myanmar network is actually meter gauge, so the difference is just 67 mm, which can be changed without swapping the bogies.

edit: Afaik the modifications also include bolted on steps for low platforms as the Yangon Circular route is part of a low platform commuter network. (this is Rangoon in Burma for those like me, who forgot to follow recent name changes)

Edited by kvp