Nankai nostalgic colors 7000/10000 series

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

In conjuction with 130th anniversary celebrations, a 10000 series and 7000 series trainset were repainted in the old Nankai colors last seen more than 20 years ago. This replicates the ltd. express "Southern" as it looked then. The 7000 series trains will be retired in September, and this trainset will wear these colors until then.

*thanks to Sr. Horn over at SSC for this

http://osaka.thepage.jp/detail/20150614-00000001-wordleafv?utm_expid=90592221-36.ah3mtalbQhWzWqvW1vz4kw.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dnewssearch%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CB0QqQIoADAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fosaka.thepage.jp%252Fdetail%252F20150614-00000001-wordleafv%26ei%3Dy7uDVYyvBdjt8AWD27iYBQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNEkNVxwL9swL_uKOUyNjiZv01MMrQ%26bvm%3Dbv.96042044%2Cd.dGc

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 4

Ah a Keihan train! Oh wait...

The 7000 still looks brand-new. It's unbelievable how well the Japanese maintain their trains. (Okay except for JR Hokkaido that is.)

bikkuri bahn

Just made reservations for a July 4th weekend in Kansai to get a few pics of these. Though I will be going again in August, this time I'll be focusing specifically on the Nankai Main line, rainy season be damned. Plus a side trip to Asahiya Bookstore and Joshin Kidsland, as usual.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Too bad about the 7000s.  They look good in that livery, and there's something appealing about the single-leaf doors.  Any chance of these going on to a deserving private railway, or are they paperclips?

Isn't the rainy season in Kansai over by July?  I remember getting caught in some downpours but I don't remember what time of summer it was...

Too bad about the 7000s.  They look good in that livery, and there's something appealing about the single-leaf doors.  Any chance of these going on to a deserving private railway, or are they paperclips?

From what I'm getting from newsfeeds (or rather not get), these are going to be paperclips. The lot of the small private companies just got a supply of old Tōkyū 1000 Series to replace their oldest rolling stock.

Nankai 20m trains aren't doing very well on the surplus market as well. IIRC the only Nankai 20m rolling stock that made it into a 2nd career was the 1521 that was transferred to the Kōnan Railway in Aomori pref. The 17m 21000/22000 Series on the other hand seemed to be quite popular.

bikkuri bahn

Nankai's rolling stock supplier is Tokyu (or rather now J-Trec), and as mentioned above, Tokyu's second-hand rolling stock subsidiary is keen on unloading their surplus stainless steel stock rather than these old-fashioned carbon steel, heavy duty pieces.

Can someone explain me the organisation of the 4 car 7000 series set on the video? I only see one car with two pantographs. (it could be anything like Tc-T-T-Mc or Tc-T-M-Mc)

Thanks for the video bikkuri bahn.

I'm always saddened to see older equipment go, especially types with such a long service live. That said they had a good run, with all formations reaching at least 43 years of service.

Good thing their younger sisters of the 7100系 will still be around, though with the youngest 7100系 at 42 years old (the oldest being 45) I doubt they'll be around for much longer either.

In addition to the information already provided by others, I doubt any of the private railways are desperate enough to get their hands on 48~51 year old rolling stock, no matter how well maintained. Especially when there are much younger alternatives around.

That said, I agree with you, they look really good in their original livery (though the contemporary Nankai livery suits them fine as well, in my opinion).

As a fan of classic electric equipment (~1930-1960's), it's saddening to see (though entirely logical) so many retirements in the last year alone (e.g. Nishitetsu 313形, Ensyu MoHa30/KuHa80系 etc).

Can someone explain me the organisation of the 4 car 7000 series set on the video? I only see one car with two pantographs. (it could be anything like Tc-T-T-Mc or Tc-T-M-Mc)

Since their 1980's remodeling they are in fixed 4 car MoHa-SaHa-SaHa-MoHa (Mc-T-T-Mc,) or 2 car MoHa-KuHa (Mc-Tc) formations.

Roster:

http://www.geocities.jp/tanuki6007/formation/nankai/f_7000.html

Edited by 200系

Between these facts:

1. The older trainsets are just physically too old despite excellent maintenance record.

2. The need for more power-efficient trainsets since 2011.

3. The need to more modern trainsets to "showcase" Japan's commuter rail and subway systems in the Tokyo area in preparation for the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Small wonder why older trainsets on the various JR companies and private railways are going to be heading to scrap yard in a big way over the next five years. We may have very few--if any--115 Series EMU's running in JR East and JR West service by 2020, replaced by the 227 Series EMU west of Himeji and the E129 (and possibly rebuilt 211) Series EMU's in JR East territory.

As such, the retirement of the 7000 Series EMU's in Nankai service is part of this trend. I expect many older EMU's in Hankyu, Keihan, Kintetsu and Nankai service in the Keihanshin region to be phased by over the next 4-5 years as part of the same purge now starting to happen in the Kantō region.

bikkuri bahn

Isn't the rainy season in Kansai over by July? I remember getting caught in some downpours but I don't remember what time of summer it was...

It typically ends on July 21 on average.

bikkuri bahn

Back from a short weekend in Kansai.  7000 series ranks are very thin, other than the aforementioned nostaglic trainset, a few were spotted tacked on to 7100 series units, usually a two unit set positioned on the down end of the train.  However, for those who like single leaf door commuter trains, there are plenty of the stainless steel 6000 series in operation on the Koya Line.  BTW, the seats on those 6000 series (and some others) are some of the best I've ever sat on- plush and springy.  I wouldn't mind having a section to use as my living room couch!

• Like 1

By the way, YouTube member OleOleSaggy just posted a zenmen tenbou video of a trip on a combined 7000/10000 Series EMU trainset painted in the old Nankai livery from Wakayama-ko (not Wakayama-shi!) Station all the way to Nankai Nanba Station in Osaka: